Horseshoe Lake - Walker's Island Trail

Horseshoe Lake - Walker's Island Trail is a 3.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Granite City, Illinois that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

bridge out

Part of Horseshoe Lake State Park in Madison County, IL. Trail is on an island that is connected by a two lane road. Flat trail through fields and woods following the lake around the island. Island is open to hunting in the fall. Trail is well mowed path through the timber and along the fields of the island. Some places get a little muddy and there are a few bridges out in the campground that can be easily gone around.

The lake is beautiful. I parked on the wrong side of the lake. I thought I could walk all around the lake. At 4 miles, I realized I had to turn back around. It took me 8 miles to get back to my car. So do not make the mistake I made. Trails (if there is one) are not clearly marked. Be careful to NOT take the bike trail. It will NOT loop you around the lake.

Nice scenery and tons of wildlife!

it is a great hike for short hikes, it is also nearby so that is a plus. I wish I had a good hiking partner to share in the fun.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Not much here. Cool if you like farm fields and swamps I guess.

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

The park received funding from a donor and reopened.

Monday, April 25, 2016

Lots of fun, but the park lost funding and closed.

Monday, April 25, 2016

Thursday, April 21, 2016

This park is closing down. Sad to see it go, it was a close hike for me. http://www.bnd.com/news/local/article72927432.html

Friday, April 08, 2016