Learn more

Horlock Hill Prairie Leroy Oaks Loop Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(28)
Leroy Oaks Forest Preserve

Horlock Hill Prairie Leroy Oaks Loop Trail is a 1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Saint Charles, Illinois that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.0 miles Elevation Gain: 49 feet Route Type: Loop

We did a great 3mi walk. We are going back to find more off track trails.

I was surprised there were many well maintained trails pushed so far back. You wouldn’t expect all of this to be here. I would return a few more times.

09/01/19 recording - this is a coresponding review of that route I tried to follow Ivan’s recording but as usual I got things wrong. My goal was to find 2 to 4 mile hikes for my meetup group. So as usual my son and I try different paths, some very nice others not so nice. The part of this route that I do not recommend for hiking heads straight toward Randall road. It appears as though there is no way to cross the creek. We headed back but as bike or equisrrian riders I’m sure there are great options. For a group looking for 3-5 mile options this spur toward Randall road I do not recommend. Its also noisy with vehicals close by

This recording starts at the first parking lot by the nature center 37W700 Dean rd St Charles IL. I’m excited to have discovered LeRoy Oaks but do not recommend portions of my 08/30/19 recording. Specifically: On my recording there is only one way across Dean road ... not two. We ended up cutting thru some brush and over a small ditch. It really wasn’t too bad this time and apparent that others had cut thru to get back to the main entrance. It could be more overgrown or flooded next time. Instead, if time permits just take the trail as it curves away from Dean road. Or, don’t even cross Dean road and just head back the way you came. I did not enjoy the portion of my route that went along Dean road. Constant traffic, overhead power lines. The first part of my 08/30/19 route was awesome! Thick woods, nice wide dirt/grass trail some parts uneven.

Sun Jun 23 2019

ARRL HAM Radio Field Day

Fri May 03 2019

love this spot but over the years it’s become more crowded. beautiful creek and a pretty big forest preserve overall. you can go off trails and explore which is fun. also creek walking is fun to bring the kids with! craw dads and cool stuff to see in the water.

Wed Feb 18 2015

Enjoyable little path along through trees and along the river. I took my young children there many times for a brief sojourn into nature.

Sun Nov 11 2018