Hennepin Canal Feeder Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray Star(12)
Rock Falls, Illinois

Hennepin Canal Feeder Trail is a 16.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Rock Falls, Illinois that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 16.6 miles Elevation Gain: 72 feet Route Type: Out & Back

paddle sports

rails trails

My wife and I rode this feeder from Hwy 92 up to the Rock River & back in 2017. Of the 1,500+ miles we've ridden on the Hennepin & I&M canals in the last 2years, this was the most "primitive" ride. Very little use & rough terrain all along the ride. Before we could even start the ride, we had to contact IDNR about a huge tree that blocked any further access to the trail from our Hwy 92 starting point.. They promptly removed it within a week & we took off.

Sun Sep 23 2018

Lovely place to kayak

Sun Jun 25 2017

I live close to the start of the trail in Sterling. It's flat as a pancake, but goes on for miles and miles. If you want a secluded area to be by yourself, head south out of rock falls and follow the canal. Bring plenty of water in the summer, as there are no water stops along the way. Along the canal in Rock Falls, there is some dirt single track to run on above it on the west side for around 4-5 miles worth. The Hennepin 100 is ran on this trail as well. 100 mile point to point race annually in October, with a 50 mile, 50k option as well!

Mon Aug 17 2015

This starts in my back yard! Easy gravel path for walking, running, biking, kayaking, birding... You name it, you can pretty much do it all.

recorded Hennepin Canal Feeder Trail