Happy Hollow Trail

Happy Hollow Trail is a 4.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Goreville, Illinois that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Love this trail, once you figure out how to navigate it, it’s a breeze. I don’t know what it is about Fern Clyffe but it smells so good! Word of caution though, if it’s the wet season be ready to cross some water and get your feet wet!

Super peaceful atmosphere. No trash anywhere to be found. Beautiful ferns and pines.

When we reached the part that it split 3 ways, we took the middle road labeled "Food Crops" and the rest of the way we followed the horse trail since that matched the trail on the app. After the first 1.5 miles, the trail becomes more fun to navigate. Near the end, it does however flatten and widen out again into a road. The creek was merely puddles here and there in the deeper sections. I bet it's gorgeous with the water!

Miss hiking the cliffs. They are beautiful!

Our family enjoyed this hike with our dogs!

Needed GPS, got turned around a few times. Extra socks needed, water crossings

Well marked and maintained. Good mix of elevations and terrain.

Good trail. Great scenery once you get to the switch-backs. I would definitely recommend going counter clockwise around the loop, so you don't have to hike those switch-backs uphill. After only a quarter mile you'll come to a fork...take the middle road. (Left takes you clockwise around the loop, right isn't the HH Trail). Once you get to the creek (after the switch-backs and natural bridge), just hug the creek the whole way out. You'll have to cross it 2-3 times. I hiked it in about 1:45, but I was kinda in a hurry. Stopped only to snap a few photos.

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Good trail, fairly easy. A few places where you need to watch your footing. I did the 4.5 mile loop of the trail in about 2 hours. And my legs where sore the next day, but I haven't been hiking in a couple years. So it was a good trail to get a work out and get back into hiking. I will be going back to this trail.

Friday, October 16, 2015

Trail was easy to moderate and actually seemed to connect via old back roads in places. Tons of pretty rock formations and wide variety of foliage. But the entire trail was covered in spider webs and spiders, which made it a little less enjoyable. Was still beautiful and very peaceful.

As a woman, I would not feel comfortable hiking trail alone since it was not heavily trafficked.

Friday, August 02, 2013

This trail starts out as a wide forest road. This continues for about 1.5 miles and then it turns into a trail and drops off the ridge top. The trail switches back to take you to the bottom of some rock formations including a natural bridge. This trail runs for about .5 miles and then it connects with another forest road that begins the return portion of the loop back up Happy Hollow. As you get closer to the trailhead, the stream bed becomes rocky and there are more rock outcroppings to view. I do have a track saved but for some reason it did not link the the trail when I set the trail up. You can view it under my tracks. The trail sign says it is an 8 mile trail but it is really closer to 5 miles and takes a couple of hours to hike (not counting time to view the rock formations and caves).