Learn more

Happy Hollow Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Goreville, Illinois that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 344 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

Just... eh. Long hike, not a lot to see, so many ticks.

trail was clear for most of the first 1/3. after that it was really buggy and lots of ticks. probably best to do in the fall and winter months. great rocks and creek looks amazing

I love the seclusion this trail provides at such a busy park. Loop is right around 5 miles, pretty easy to follow the trail itself (fall is a different story) so gps/markings I didn’t think were necessary but the trail is decently marked. Some pretty awesome rock formations and water sources

Nice hike today but trail is not well marked. There are many areas that are muddy and have standing water that takes some tricky maneuvering. Some areas have neat rock formations but as a whole not real scenic.

2nd time here. Definitely nicer hike when there are no leaves. Nice trail but it doesn’t have the wow of other trails. No magnificent overlooks, no magnificent bluffs. Great arch about midway. But it’s a great loop to hike.

Took longer than expected. It was a very beautiful trail with lovely creeks and bluffs. Some of the trail markers are confusing at intersections.

A nice fall day for a stroll.

go counterclockwise first to see the bluffs and natural bridge. The lower part at the last half is gorgeous with the greenery and creeks.

We travelled counterclockwise and our path was 4.6 miles. I had to check the AllTrails map a couple of times to be certain we were heading the right direction when we came to crossroads. Several large trees were blown down all together after the switchbacks, had to climb over them. I honestly don’t know how a horse would get by them! We were a bit surprised that so much of this trail is actually forest road, perhaps the first mile and a half in either direction, we enjoyed the trail section around the switchbacks best.

I hiked the loop and my gps said I went 8 miles like the sign says it is. There must be a cut off I didn’t see if people are doing it in 4.5 miles. The trail was a nice hike. I’d would rather do it in spring or fall. The bugs and spider webs were bad.

Thu Jun 20 2019

Beware of ticks!!!

Sat May 18 2019

Great trail for viewing wildlife mid morning. Wear your water resistant hiking boots, especially early Spring. The switchbacks mid trail are altogether confusing without the aid of this app! This is an excellent trail to enjoy with your water loving dog!

Mon Apr 22 2019

Wonderful trail. Very easy hike and amazing scenery. Perfect trail for a spring day!

Wed Apr 17 2019

Loved all the wildflowers. I jogged most of it & it was a great workout.

Sun Apr 07 2019

Good trail. Most of it is like a logging road but with lots of rock formations.

Tue Apr 17 2018

A very nice hike after the first 1.5 . It was pretty muddy on the trail back but still liked the hike and the features.

Mon Mar 12 2018

Nice hike up a drainage following a small creek.

Sat Nov 18 2017

Love this trail, once you figure out how to navigate it, it’s a breeze. I don’t know what it is about Fern Clyffe but it smells so good! Word of caution though, if it’s the wet season be ready to cross some water and get your feet wet!

Mon Oct 02 2017

Super peaceful atmosphere. No trash anywhere to be found. Beautiful ferns and pines.

Sat Sep 09 2017

When we reached the part that it split 3 ways, we took the middle road labeled "Food Crops" and the rest of the way we followed the horse trail since that matched the trail on the app. After the first 1.5 miles, the trail becomes more fun to navigate. Near the end, it does however flatten and widen out again into a road. The creek was merely puddles here and there in the deeper sections. I bet it's gorgeous with the water!

Wed May 24 2017

Miss hiking the cliffs. They are beautiful!

Fri May 12 2017

Our family enjoyed this hike with our dogs!

Sun Mar 26 2017

Needed GPS, got turned around a few times. Extra socks needed, water crossings

Thu Mar 09 2017

Well marked and maintained. Good mix of elevations and terrain.

Wed Jan 25 2017

Good trail. Great scenery once you get to the switch-backs. I would definitely recommend going counter clockwise around the loop, so you don't have to hike those switch-backs uphill. After only a quarter mile you'll come to a fork...take the middle road. (Left takes you clockwise around the loop, right isn't the HH Trail). Once you get to the creek (after the switch-backs and natural bridge), just hug the creek the whole way out. You'll have to cross it 2-3 times. I hiked it in about 1:45, but I was kinda in a hurry. Stopped only to snap a few photos.