Godwin Trail is a 12.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Alto Pass, Illinois that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 12.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,033 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail is part of the River to River Trail. The trial has two trail heads and goes across the Bald Knob and Clear Spring Wilderness areas. The east trail head starts in the Bald Knob Wilderness area off of Bald Knob Road near Alto Pass, IL. The west trial head starts off of Pine Hills Rd near Wolf Lake, IL. Hutchins Creek runs through the middle of the two wilderness areas. It is also the only water source outside of spring. The trail is is pretty good shape, but since it is a wilderness area, there can be blowdowns, and other times where it can be challenging to stay on the trial. The trail is marked with blue "i" trailblazers. Pay attention at Hutchins Creek crossing as it can be difficult to find the other side of the trail. Very quiet trail There are a lot of other ranger trails in the two wilderness areas that could allow for a loop, be careful as they may not be as will blazed as the Godwin trial. Most of the trails are old roadbeds, as there used to be some homesteads there back in the 30's. You can still see an old 1940's car and some farm machinery left off of the Bridgeman trail, which is one of the side trails in the Bald Knob area. Warning: some of the side trails are hard to find, make sure you have a compass and a map.

Good time; started on east entrance and went about half way then headed back.

Secluded trail—only went about 2 1/2 miles in and then back out, nothing much to see just nice words and clear path

Really Nice trail! No Camp Sites once you get passed the river bank. I made only one pass there about a mile and a half. when crossing the river be carful it’s hard to find the trail head. Good campsites and water source right and up the creek. I hike on October 14

Mon Aug 13 2018

I went in the summer and there was alot of growth on the trail east of Hutchins creek. I was the only one on the trail and there were alot of spider webs on the trail. it was not easy finding a good place to make camp due to all the growth. It would probably be much better in the sping or fall. I did see a deer at the creek crossing.

Mon Apr 02 2018

I hiked this trail as part of a loop connecting the Godwin Trail, the King Hollow trail, and the Hutchins Creek Trail. I started at the east trailhead. The trail was well marked; I didn't feel the need to check my map to make sure I was on the right track. It was raining when I started, so there were lots of little streams on the section east of Hutchins Creek. Hutchins Creek can get pretty deep and fast after a lot of rain, so make sure you consider that in your plan. There isn't a lot of water on the west half of the trail, so plan accordingly.

Mon Feb 19 2018

Remote, wilderness trail! Didn’t see another soul! Trail descends to the unique, spring-fed Hutchins Creek.

Tue Dec 05 2017

Took the Godwin Trail in from the East Trail head. Overall the trail was in good shape, not much for views, but very secluded. There are many other trails in the area, and I wanted to make a loop hike, so I hiked the Godwin trail east to west over to the King hollow trail. Hiked about a mile of that Saturday and camped overnight. Most of the King Hollow trail was in great shape. It got a little hairy when I got to the end of the King hollow trail. I could not find the Hutchins Creek trail to take me back south the the Godwin Trail. So instead I followed the actual creek bank back down until I found a trail. It wasn't the most fun experience... I did get to see the remiinatnts of a old homestead, while walking along Hutchins Creek, which is also where I found the trail to get me back down to the Godwin trail. However if you stay on the Godwin Trail it is in good shape. The only tough navigating part is when the Godwin trial crosses Hutchins Creek. Pay attention and look for blazes there.

Sat Apr 13 2019