Learn more

Glacial Park Loop Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(260)
Glacial County Park

Glacial Park Loop Trail is a 2.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Richmond, Illinois that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.2 miles Elevation Gain: 187 feet Route Type: Loop

Nice family hike. Good length, but not too long or too difficult for our 5 year old. Terrain was diverse enough to hold everyone's interest - marsh, hills, grasslands, woods. The kids enjoyed seeing frogs, turtles, vultures, and spittlebugs. Went on a Sunday and not too crowded.

beautiful trails, well maintained, a couple great overlooks. Only about 1.5 hours drive from Chicago. Not much shade so be careful bringing dogs who overheat easy and remember sunscreen!

Awesome trail winding through heavily glaciated landscape. Camelback Kame has some steep climb but it’s still very tame. Nice wooded sections with grasslands and a bog.

Great bird watching on the lake, spotted a couple muskrats. Quiet. Lovely spring hike

More land for miles of clear, grassy trails. Geese, muskrats, and other birds along the marsh trail. Beautiful views on top of the hills.

An ass kicker.

definitely not easy. many inclines. many of them rocky.

Mon Jul 01 2019

Glad i had my app open to see my route or I’d have made a few wrong turns! Great grassy trail with a few rocky parts in wooded areas. The deer flies were really bad however and I was sorry i forgot bug spray! I was forced to wear a long sleeve shirt just to keep them off my arms.

Tue Jun 11 2019

Well maintained mainly grass trails. Some user made trails that include a particularly tough downhill Rocky section. Very good trails, lots of riding. Absolutely recommend. Beautiful views from hills on west side of trails.

Wed Jun 05 2019

Great trail! Pretty easy hike and nice views. Lots of families and dogs around

Sun May 19 2019

Cool trail! Nice incline about 1 mile in, good view. DEFINITELY NOT ‘easy’, more moderate. Beware.

Thu May 16 2019

Short and beautiful. Great for birdwatching.

Sun Jul 29 2018

My wife and our dog went there for a mid-morning hike.

Sat Apr 07 2018

this park has always been my favorite in McHenry county since I was a little girl and my uncle took me up the kames. I usually go a few time a year. never disappoints

Mon Oct 30 2017

Good hiking. Print trail map as it would be best to have one as some of the parking lots don't have any.

Sat Jul 01 2017

Moderate Trails Popular Clean Free Parking Dog (Leash) Friendly

Sun May 07 2017

This will always be one of my favorite hikes. It's not too difficult, although if you want to go along the outer edges, it's a bit more hilly, but it's always beautiful and quiet no matter what time of year.

Sun Jan 01 2017

Some nice hills. Interesting cemetery information.

Sun Aug 28 2016

Mon Aug 01 2016

Great hike with the family and dog!