Gander Mountain Loop Trail

Gander Mountain Loop Trail is a 1.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Wilmot, Wisconsin that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

old growth

Gander Mountain Lake County Forest preserve is a 3.0 - 5.0 mile loop trail located near Antioch, Illinois. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, mountain Biking and birding. Gander Mountain Forest Preserve is a rather unique place in Lake County in that it contains some rather rugged topography. This very scenic forest preserve is not developed (though there is some trail maintenance) and subsequently provides a much more wild and rugged experience than a typical Lake County Forest Preserve.

Go in clockwise direction. The other direction means you climb 203 ft. at the end and it’s steep.
No trails are marked so keep to the map on All Trails if you want to do the loop. Otherwise, enjoy all the rabbit trails! There are many. It was a great winter walk. Can’t wait to see it in the Spring.

This is definitely hard, the trails inside the forest are super overgrown. Don't know if they come through and trim it all at the end of summer. The elevation changes are awesome! Definitely happy I wore pants instead of shorts. I'm covered with little sticker pods! I'm short and majority of the paths I tried in the inside were overgrown almost taller than me. I don't think I found the "summit". The path on the outside had a lot of butterflies and was mowed. Also glad I started off with the inside trail. I would do this again and explore more when it's cooler than 90 degrees though

Fairly easy in terms of skill level with a few decent inclines to mix it up. We ended the trail early because I couldn't handle my legs and arms getting scratched by the vegetation. Definitely not maintained in the summer. There are a lot of tall plants and grass that are growing over the narrow path so wear long clothing. My husband is 6'4 and hovered over most of the taller plants so his arms were fine. I'm 5'3 and was more susceptible to being scratched and whacked in the face by a few of the taller ones.

Nice trail but too short.

This place is amazing. I can only imagine how it looks in the summer and I am sure the leaves are spectacular in the fall.

I would've given it 5 stars if the trails were marked. There are too many off-shoots from the main trail, a map would be helpful.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

No path markers so if you just want to see the top of gander "mountain", follow the map on here. Otherwise, it's a path through the Forrest that just gets you in circles.

Monday, August 15, 2016

Just okay, not very challenging, some hills but poorly maintained, not too interesting

Sunday, August 14, 2016

great place to have an adventure.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Wear light pants if you go in the summer. The trail is narrow and full of plants. My legs got destroyed in shorts.

This is one of the better places to hike. There are a couple hills that were a nice challenge.

Friday, July 01, 2016

if you are looking for more than your average walk in the woods this its it. Lots of up and downs. the path or should I say paths are easily visible for the most part. there are many paths that branch off. There are some areas of overgrowth, as another hiker said they could use some trail markers. nothing is really marked. I didn't see another person the entire time I was out there. I hiked nearly 6 miles. seen 1 huge wild turkey. at times the growth is so big you cannot see anything right or left of you, may be the time of year. I went in June. nice feeling of the middle of nowhere if that's your thing.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Trail is narrow but easily seen, although in parts the plants will be in the way a bit. Be ready for some climbs/descents too. Great views, beautiful flowers and birds. Plenty of woodland creatures to make friends with. I befriended a toad named Reginald. I went 6/22 and i guess it's strawberry picking season. Make sure you stop by Stade's Farm close by :)

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Absolutely fantastic trail! I have gone twice now! Granted parking on the side of the road was a little different then I am use to it worked out just fine! The sights are amazing atop the hill! The second time I went they were doing a controlled burning so we kept it a little short but it was absolutely beautiful with some SERIOUS up and down hills!!

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Amazing views and great changes in elevation. A small footpath for most of the way.

Thursday, May 12, 2016

good trails

Saturday, March 26, 2016

We'll come back.

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Parking sucks, but real nice trails a lot of hills so it can be difficult, I belive it has the highest point in lake county, and you can get to Wilmot mountain too from it shhh really nice park, pet friendly!

Sunday, December 06, 2015

Only bad is the lack of parking. Love the trail! Rugged enough to bring my stick. Saw deer.

Sunday, November 01, 2015

This little park is very cool . I've always liked that off the trail feel where it feels like your the first to be exploring the area nothing better

Sunday, May 31, 2015

Everything was great except for the tics! Look out for those!

Sunday, April 26, 2015

I'm really happy with this trail , It's my new favorite trail. The elevation changes are great. The trails could use some markers