Gander Mountain Loop Trail

Gander Mountain Loop Trail is a 1.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Wilmot, Wisconsin that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

snowboarding

old growth

Gander Mountain Lake County Forest preserve is a 3.0 - 5.0 mile loop trail located near Antioch, Illinois. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, mountain Biking and birding. Gander Mountain Forest Preserve is a rather unique place in Lake County in that it contains some rather rugged topography. This very scenic forest preserve is not developed (though there is some trail maintenance) and subsequently provides a much more wild and rugged experience than a typical Lake County Forest Preserve.

This is definitely hard, the trails inside the forest are super overgrown. Don't know if they come through and trim it all at the end of summer. The elevation changes are awesome! Definitely happy I wore pants instead of shorts. I'm covered with little sticker pods! I'm short and majority of the paths I tried in the inside were overgrown almost taller than me. I don't think I found the "summit". The path on the outside had a lot of butterflies and was mowed. Also glad I started off with the inside trail. I would do this again and explore more when it's cooler than 90 degrees though

Fairly easy in terms of skill level with a few decent inclines to mix it up. We ended the trail early because I couldn't handle my legs and arms getting scratched by the vegetation. Definitely not maintained in the summer. There are a lot of tall plants and grass that are growing over the narrow path so wear long clothing. My husband is 6'4 and hovered over most of the taller plants so his arms were fine. I'm 5'3 and was more susceptible to being scratched and whacked in the face by a few of the taller ones.

Nice trail but too short.

This place is amazing. I can only imagine how it looks in the summer and I am sure the leaves are spectacular in the fall.

I would've given it 5 stars if the trails were marked. There are too many off-shoots from the main trail, a map would be helpful.