Fay Pickering Memorial Trails

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(25)
Mill Creek Lake and Park

Fay Pickering Memorial Trails is a 10.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Marshall, Illinois that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 10.2 miles Elevation Gain: 429 feet Route Type: Loop

paddle sports

I have heard about this place for a over a year and it did not disappoint. Great flow in sections, several place to stop and gather your group and many hills with lots of roots. One section was rather marshy but that was even fun. Trails are well maintained and well marked. One of my better days on the bike. Highly recommend for intermediate to advanced riders. Get some!

My husband and I took our girls, ages 8 and 5, here for a day trip. It was perfect! Trails were maintained well, wildflowers galore and even saw a frog, crawdads and snake in one of the small creeks. The trails are challenging enough to hold their interest but not so much that they were frustrated. We will be visiting again several times this summer!

This is my favorite trail I’ve done in the central Illinois area. It is a well maintained trail that is heavily packed down by all the mountain bikers. The first half of the trail is up and down ridges along the lake with great views. Bring some binoculars as the birding is absolutely fantastic in the tree line. Would highly recommend!

Really great trail

The entire trail is clear of leaves, a little damp but in good condition for hiking or biking.

My GPS took me right to the trailhead. There was a bathroom with a covered picnic area. The Covered picnic area had a large map of the hiking trail . The map didn’t include the D Loop that is at the far end of the hike. A fair description of the hike is moderate. There are a few ups and downs. The first half of the hike follows the banks of the lake and is very pretty.There are a few picnic tables spread along the hike. My dog and I must’ve seen a half dozen deer. You can adjust the length of the walk depending on how many of the loops you take. The full trail is 10.2 miles. There was no cost to get into the park. I drove from Indianapolis to take the walk. It was worth my drive.

Fri Mar 29 2019

A4-A5, B7-B8 very wet, B9-B10 downed tree blocking trail. Otherwise trail is dry or slightly damp and in good condition for hiking.

Wed Jul 18 2018

This is an excellent 10 mile loop about 10-15 minutes off of I-70. It's definitely worth a stop for those traveling through to stretch your legs. Trails are open to hiking, trail running, and mountain biking. For mountain biking, I would rate these trails as intermediate. They flow through old growth forest along the banks of Mill Creek Lake offering great views while riding. These trails have a little something for everyone, and you get out of them what you put into them....the faster you go, the more challenging they become.

Tue Apr 23 2019