Devil's Standtable Trail is a 0.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Makanda, Illinois that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 0.3 miles Elevation Gain: 26 feet Route Type: Loop

The Devil's Standtable trail leads to a unique geologic formation that has dominates the bluff line. The mushroom rock is a large free-standing pillar of sandstone.

This was a wonderful trail! I was initially hesitant to try it, as I haven't done much hiking in over 20 years and my mobility just isn't what it used to be, but I loved this. It boosted my confidence to start looking at more trails to hike with my wife and kids!

Easy, short, great views

Short hike to Devil's Standtable. Seen some people climbing the cliff. looked like fun. Very easy trail.

recorded Devil's Standtable Trail

11/02/19 51F, Sunny Easy hike

Really pretty trail with some interesting rocks to explore.

Short, easy, and interesting trail. Just one of many interesting rock formations in the Shawnee NF.

Kids loved scrambling around on rocks.

To get a good view of the table you need to go past the sign.

Super short but lots of great scenery - we loved the cavern!

Mon May 27 2019

Today I walked up to the standtable. Went here 15 years ago at least 20+ times, the sight today is hard to see with the overgrown trees and brushes. Easy walk for kids.

Sat May 25 2019

Beautiful! I made it a little longer though. I continued along the bluff and trail and ended up on top of waterfalls which looped around nicely back to the start.

Fri Apr 26 2019

Loved it. Turn right at the first waterfall. If you keep going past where the big sign shares info on the trail then you can find a cool little nook with another waterfall and puddling for kids to play in.

Sat Mar 30 2019

Short trail in light rain. Waterfall was going strong. Cool rock formations.

Sun Mar 17 2019

Easy hike for kids that has an impressive rockhouse as well as a rock pinnacle that is quite a sight for this area. We went during a dry spell, so the waterfall wasn't really flowing. This is a good side stop for those visiting the park.

Sun Jan 06 2019

Short trail leading to the bottom of a large rock face. During wet weather there is a nice water fall you can walk behind. Great trail for a beginner or someone that wants a 10 minute hike. Large parking lot

Sun Dec 30 2018

Really cool and short trail with great rock formations.

Wed Dec 19 2018

Love this park. Out in true nature but has enough roads and trails and markings that I feel totally safe veering from the path and doing some free climbing on the rock formations. Also Giant City has some great spots for beginner climbers, I was taught on I believe it's called Camel's Hump.

Tue Sep 04 2018

This is a cool rock, but it’s hard to see and the trail is a bit unclear. I did like the large cavelike overhang. Better rock fun at Giant City Nature Trail though.

Thu Aug 23 2018

nice rock formations, good for kids and kids at heart

Sun May 13 2018

In Giant city State Park is the Devil's Standtable Trail. From the paved parking lot cross the road and you'll be at this giant rock pinnacle in minutes. The best view is from behind the large wooden sign in the woods where you can stand beside the cliff for an unobstructed view/photo.

Sun May 13 2018

RAwR!

Fri Apr 06 2018

This hike was sweet. It doesn’t go in a loop unless i couldn’t see the trail properly. We went a little off trail to hang out on the rocks.

Sun Apr 01 2018

Easy hike and so beautiful!! The rock formations are beautiful. Try to catch it after a good rain for some pretty waterfalls. Loved this!

Sat Mar 03 2018

Nice quick hike to with the added bonus of getting some All Trails points ;- ] With: Donna Tomlinson and Matt Tomlinson

Wed Sep 06 2017

Trail isn't clear about where you are and aren't supposed to go. We realized after a moment that we needed to go behind the large sign. However we then followed the trail behind that sign, which as it turns out, is the wrong way to go. Still really beautiful, and the stuff we saw by going the wrong way was actually pretty cool too.

Wed Apr 19 2017

A short hike. Good for kids.

Fri Mar 31 2017

If you stick to the trail it's not that great but if you go off trail then it's a pretty good hike.

Thu Mar 30 2017

very short, kinda silly to do