Devil's Prop

Devil's Prop is a 1.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Vernon, Illinois that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Short trail through and around a small ravine with rock formations and a creek.

Went with my wife and kids twice now, the kids really like seeing the rock shelters. I really like the fact it’s the closest hiking trail to me that has interesting sights along with nature. Some of the vandalism is very graphic, luckily the kids could see past it and enjoy the time there. The trail is a “straight trail” so you walk the same way back, it follows a little creek that goes along side bluffs. The main area around the shelters is pretty fun to explore though, we spent around 2 hours just exploring the area with the kids.

19724 Stratford Lane is address for google map directions. Small parking lot plenty of signs to follow to get you to devils prop. Unfortunately as beautiful as the rock formations & creek are. The site has been vandalized and littered. There are no trails markings. If you are in the area stop by. But I wouldn’t drive far for this one.

I went early in the morning without any issues. No one was there besides myself. Due to heavy litter and vandalism I wouldn’t hike in late evening or at nighttime.

Site ruined by vandalism. Graffiti was worse than you would expect in a ghetto. Needs to cleaned up and addressed. Worse vandalism I have ever seen at a natural area.

No trail markers.

Monday, February 27, 2017

Nice trail. No real map. Would be better with out the graffiti.

Saturday, October 15, 2016