Dear Grove East Red, Black and Brown Loop

Dear Grove East Red, Black and Brown Loop is a 7.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Palatine, Illinois that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and road biking and is best used from January until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

This trail is both paved and unpaved.

Its a nice get away a bit from the city trip.

lots of bikes. took our dogs and found a trail that was quiet andd woodsy. dogs loved it. main entrance was very busy and lots of bikes. my dogs hate bikes

Enjoy the inside trails. They are so much fun and very scenic.

Excellent trails lots of friendly runners!

Not bad but some areas can be noisy due to traffic.

a simple hike for any time of year

Awesome dirt trails and several side trails, great elevation changes. My last visit was 8.33 miles going through the brown, teal, yellow, orange trails. Amazing workout. Also has a nice paved loop and a paved trail that crosses over Quentin if you don't like the dirt/gravel trails.

did the yellow trail. Nice and long. A little hilly. some good visuals

My boyfriend and I biked this trail the other day and we were pleasantly surprised by the trails here! They were perfect for a challenging but enjoyable bike ride, and there were so many in the park to explore while making this loop. There were a lot of mosquitos however, so even while riding bug spray was necessary.

You can enjoy peaceful forest Trails and this place is one of the best place around Northwestern Chicago.
Highly recommended!

We took the eastern most 3 mile trail. there was very little shade no place to sit and only saw 1 porta-potty and 1 bathroom.
I was glad it was a cool day.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

This is an absolutely beautiful forest preserve, and this one star is not about Deer Grove, but about its administrators. Unfortunately they have closed off all the wonderful single-track trails to mountain bikers. It is insane because there are never any hikers/walkers on these off-beaten trails, so basically 70% of the trails go unused and unenjoyed. I even ran into a park guide/ambassador who told me he thought the ban on mountain bikers was completely stupid as well. This was a misguided rule by the trails committee back in 1996. This ban should be removed so more tax paying citizens can enjoy Deer Grove like they can of so many other forest preserves in Illinois.

Friday, May 05, 2017

Great place to get outside, hike or jog but trails were muddy after a heavy rain.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Hiked a good portion of the west side if the trail. Some gravel paths, a large main paved path that connects to most of the smaller trails and a very good amount of side trials that are hardly marked at all. Some you may miss if you're not looking for them. Those are the best a providing a good out in the woods feel. Saw a family of six deer when i was last out. Will definitely go back.

Tuesday, February 07, 2017

A healthy doe manifests 15 feet ahead of us and we, so typical of city dwellers, see a large dog at first, slowly recognizing our mistake and marveling in the beauty of this creature. "How can people shoot these?" I quietly wonder. The wind moves slowly through us as the doe recedes into the deep brush, disappearing behind a blanket of tall prairie grass and shrubs. The white of her tail reflecting the dim light from the overcast is all we can see as she moves on. We were a passing curiosity at best; yet our reaction lacks such triviality: We wonder where she is going and hope she has learned to stay off of the highway droning not far from where we stand. We stand still as the overcast breaks for a moment, revealing a solitary ray of light, and we see her white tail once more. And then she's gone.

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Did part of the west side with my 5 year old. It was quite enjoyable.

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Beautiful landscape. Trail markings caused some confusion.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

I prefer the west side of the preserve, which is unpaved and not so crowded.

Saturday, October 08, 2016

Great trails and surprisingly good birding there today. I like this place better during the week (less people) and in the spring or fall when it is much less buggy.

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Plenty of paved road with beautiful views of trees and wildflowers. Also has some good gravel paths that take you through the woods.

Friday, July 15, 2016

nice

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Deer Grove East (where the directions take you) has a paved trail that is a 3 mile loop, great place to walk year round!

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Great trails. Best in the northwest burbs. Paved trail to the east is sunny and decently flat for road runners. I stick to the west side for more of a dirt trail experience. The yellow trail works like a highway to the more difficult (unmarked) single track trails.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Would love to go there sometime for that awesome experience.
best tanning lotion.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

I used to live in apartments right across the street from the park. I enjoyed this park often after work and on the weekends and miss living near there- such a great escape from the bustle of city life. Deer Grove West has a large and long loop, the "yellow line,"it is mostly gravel and unfortunately, there are many low spots in the trail that get really muddy and stay that way for days. Deer Grove West is great for nature hikes and slow walks with friends, because there is less traffic and more shade. There are many other trails in the park. Deer Grove East has a short loop that is paved- mostly unshaded (hot in summer); and another that is winding, sometimes shaded, and covered in gravel or dirt. These loops are about 2-3 miles in length and are great for trail running and/or biking- the traffic on these are heavier.

Sunday, June 26, 2011

the potential this trail had with the single track dirt paths was unbelievable, but now they have changed the rules because of all of the tree huggers, its now a crushed limestone path, great for riding for pleasure