Crabtree Nature Center Trails

Crabtree Nature Center Trails is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Barrington, Illinois that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

I liked it a lot

Beautiful trails, very clean. Yes there are muddy patches but it's called a nature trail for a reason. lol. I will definitely be back!

mosquitos are bad

Sunday, May 28, 2017

not worth it at this time,may 2017. although it's nice to hear all the birds chirping and the sounds of nature, the trail went from grass and,almost invisible and didn't know from time to time if you still were on a trail to extremely muddy and,big branches and tree trunks blocking the so called path. a number of sections where all the trees had to be cut down,probably for a good reason but very unappealing and sloppy looking to hike through. came back with my hiking boots extremely muddy. in my opinion, very little here is being taken care of,sad.

Monday, May 08, 2017

Great hike through various habitats.

Thursday, April 20, 2017

great for watching local wildlife. a nice quiet walk in the woods!

Sunday, January 01, 2017

Great fall colors and tall grasses. Nice visitor center with a lot of taxidermy. They also have binoculars you can borrow but I suggest you bring your own.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Easy hiking trails. Great scenery. Lots of wildlife, especially for bird watchers.

Friday, September 02, 2016

This is one of my favorite places. I've been coming here for years for nature walks and to bird watch.

Monday, July 25, 2016

We did the Bur Edge trail out from the nature center. An easy trail with the kids through the woods and prairie. Saw egrets, frogs, and birds. The kids nature play area was neat. Very hot and there were extended periods without shade. Enjoyed the exhibits at the nature center as well.

Monday, July 18, 2016

just a heads up, there are no pets allowed! but there's a bike path across the street that they offer as an alternative. very peaceful

Monday, July 04, 2016

We lived near her for seven years and never knew about this place. Great family hiking! Nature center has live animals and check the hawk/owl/vulture exhibits a bit down the trail from the center. The kid area seems overgrown and path need to be widened for us to fully enjoy the experience. Overall, great place!

Monday, July 04, 2016

Awesome! Great preserve

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Great place for family with kids! Beautiful and well maintained.

Monday, March 28, 2016

This trail is probably nice but it doesn't allow dogs. Why would I want to hike without my dog? The park employee rushed at us like we were criminals and told us we were not welcome with our dog. Lame!

Monday, March 21, 2016

This is one of my favorite sites with woodlands, streams, ponds, meadows and a nature center.

Monday, August 03, 2015

Amazing Trail!

beautiful scenery
educational wildlife center
well maintained

Monday, October 28, 2013

I walked all around the Crabtree Nature Center last weekend with my two daughters (4 and 2) and father-in-law. We explored the kids discovery area a bit, checked-out the field house, and then did the shorter loop around the lake. The discovery area was pretty neat with several things to do / learn about for the kids; they enjoyed it for probably about an hour before we had lunch. The hiking is, of course, very easy-going and totally flat. We looped around counter-clockwise, with the first half through the woods and then the latter half through a field of golden grass that was up over our heads (there was a trail cut through).

It was a lovely day, and everyone enjoyed it. This place is a nice diversion that's just a quick jaunt out from the city.

Saturday, August 04, 2012

Easy trail, convenient if you live in the Northwest suburbs. Closes everyday at 5pm. Great to do it with kids. The exhibit house has a barred owl, a great horned owl, a red tail hawk and a turkey vulture. Other educational points along the way. Beautiful, but bring bug-repellent...

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I took a lunch break to check out Crabtree Nature Center today. The elevation barely changes but the terrain does. The path is a loop and winds its way in and out of forest areas and past lakes. I did not see any wildlife except for birds. The path does not allow bikes, only hikers and is mostly grass or dirt. This would be a good hike with young children or a quick getaway from the suburbs. I bet it would be great for cross country skiing as well.