Chain O' Lakes State Park Trail

Chain O' Lakes State Park Trail is a 2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Spring Grove, Illinois and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from April until October.

These instructions and perspective are from on foot. The trail is shared with horses. I encountered a fair share of horse droppings.

I started the trail going right. The trail is great for beginners or if you're out for a quick relaxing hike. There is only one small elevation gain and everything else is extremely gradual. There are not a lot of views of lakes or fields you will mostly be in forested area. Along the trail I saw 3 wild turkey, 2 white tailed deer, hawk feathers and a couple chipmunks.

RE Hike to trailhead:

The trailhead the gps takes you to from All Trails is a "Do not enter" with a u-turn cul-de-sac. If you're following those GPS coordinates from All Trails, I recommend stopping at the parking lot right before you reach the destination. From there, there is a .2-.3 mile hike to the "trailhead".

When you reach the end of the road on your way to the trailhead, there will be a gate. Walk around the gate on the gravel road to your left. The trail head is there shortly after (.1 mile).

Other notes RE trail:

About 2 miles in, when the trail is reaching the end, it appears as if you are going the correct way if you head right. You will find this takes you far from where you started. I recommend when reaching the "PARK .5 mile | OFFICE ⬆️" you follow the gravel road to your left back to that gate on the approach. As you can see on my recording of the trail, it starts going the way of the originally recorded post but then does not appear to have any plans of looping back. I might continue next time to see where it ends up but the goal today was a short 2 mile hike back to my car.

Hopefully this helps anyone trying to have that short hike they planned for or have an idea of what to expect otherwise.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Saturday, March 19, 2016

live by this park since I was born so it's not exciting to me as much as other people, we launch our boat there, pretty clean trail, nice boat ramps also really funny to sit and watch people pull their boat in and out. all in all nice.

Sunday, May 18, 2014

My husband and I discovered these trails earlier this year. We enjoy the different types of trails and our dog likes to be out and about too. A lot of people bring their dogs and their is also camping.

Monday, October 24, 2011

first of all, there are no mountains, so not worth a 'peAk', but is worth a peek. The park has a few different trails to choose from. I like the Goldfinch trail, which begins for the most part by the park office. The trail winds around and down by the river. You may be able to see fox, deer, mink, coyotes, turkeys, hawks, cranes (lots of kinds of birds), turtles etc... On the paths by the 'pines' you can see an osprey nest in the distance--if lucky the osprey. The loop I always take is about 1.75 miles, and easy terrain. If you take the blue loop trail, it is a bit more difficult, and is shared by horses, but it is a nice trail to go on. The mud Lake trail overlooks Grass Lake in one part. All the trails are wide enough, and easy enough to navigate. The park offers maps. This is also where you can load your boat to get onto the chain (need a sticker to use waterway). They also rent boats (canoes, paddle boats), which is a nice ride up north on the river. This is a busy park for hiking, jogging, biking, X-country skiing, horses. It also has a very nice, well-kept, separated campground area (no 'drinking' in campgrounds). There is no charge yet, to get into the park (like other states), average charge for camping, though. This park does close during (I believe) Nov. and Dec for hunting, so check out the web page first. You can access it through the DNR. I love this park, it is one of the best kept/maintained parks in the area.