Cahokia Mounds is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Collinsville, Illinois that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.5 miles Elevation Gain: 49 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

historic site

One of the greatest cities of the world, Cahokia was larger than London was in AD 1250. The Mississippians who lived here were accomplished builders who erected a wide variety of structures from practical homes for everyday living to monumental public works that have maintained their grandeur for centuries.

Very historic. Trails very well maintained. Information plaques along the way about the sites. This was the largest city north of Mexico for many yrs. the museum inside is very impressive.

Lots of fun! Tons of rich history!

I never knew Cahokia mounds was surrounded by swamp. It makes a lot of sense now why they built the mounds. The trail gotta through a bit of everything. Starts paved but gives way to gravel and then chat and then mud and finally just a path of mowed grass. I went early and my feet did get wet. Plan accordingly. Saw 2 deer in the first couple minutes, and then 13 more as I wondered through the prairie portion. Many were been down in the tall grasses and scared the hell out of me when they jumped up and bounded away. There were several males with many points and I took to shaking a mint tin to make sure they heard me before the trail would too close. There were a few baby deer, including one I think was just born. I didn't know there started so small. I hit a wall rounding the North side of the big mound and decided to skip it. Very relaxing hike, didn't pass anyone on the trail but did see some people heading to the mound and the museum.

My visit was spontaneous and well worth it. The climb was easy, and breathtaking view at the top amazing.

Drove from O’Fallon and it was quick and easy to get there, and seeing STL from the mounds is really cool. The mounds are bigger in person.

Friday, August 03, 2018

Museum is great, hike is nice but don't feel like you need to do it to see everything.

Sunday, July 08, 2018

Great museum, decent trail

Saturday, June 30, 2018

Just go, you will love it!! And be sure to take kids with you.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

The museum alone is worth it! Great historic site, nice walk. Some stairs if you want to go to the top of the mounds, but other than that it is pretty accessible to everyone.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

This park does not have very much nature, but there are a lot of cool places with the mounds and the museum is also cool

Monday, January 15, 2018

World Heritage Site. Must see

Saturday, December 02, 2017

The biggest Indian mound in the U.S.! This is a neat place to walk and see all these mounds. Also has a archaeology museum with a lot of different Indian tools etc.

Saturday, December 02, 2017

I've lived in this area my whole life and finally walked the trail. I usually attend events at the museum and climb Monk's Mound. Park in the last lot, behind the museum. I just stayed left and followed the path, always choosing the least paved paths. It goes much further back into the woods than I thought. I must have seen about a dozen deer. Beautiful.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

First class museum, great walking trails to various mounds. This is a destination hike.

Monday, October 09, 2017

great for walking, not what I would consider a hike.

Saturday, September 30, 2017

do not follow the ma misleading. stay on the museum side of trail. very pretty but short. lots of beautiful wildlife! all the deer made the short trail ride worth it!

Sunday, August 27, 2017

I was here with family on 8/20/17, one hot day with heat index over 100 degrees. We all did Monk's Mound and then we split up as some could do much more than my Dad & I. By the way, there are 146 stairs to the top of Monk's Mound. It's worth the climb, just be warned if it's hot out, the stairs' railing was super hot to the touch. Place was great and when it was too hot, the visitor center had a nice museum, movie and gift shop. I hope to do more next time, when it's not so hot

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Loved the area - had a lot more real hiking trails than I anticipated although the signage was not very good - it's best to have a trail map before heading out.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

easy... i love the deer and wild turkey. i always encounter them here.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Great walk with family. Wonderful history lesson. Nice paved walkways. Steep climb to top of Monk's Mound. Nice view though.

Friday, March 24, 2017

Gorgeous views, level ground, and lots of persimmon trees. Watch out for flooding in early summer.

Thursday, December 29, 2016

A historic and fun hike, not the most scenic but still a great time.

Friday, October 14, 2016

Need to remember bug spray next time! Not all trails were well marked, but I enjoyed it.

Monday, June 13, 2016

Great place to hike/walk with the whole family. We followed the perimeter trail which was about 5 miles. Good mix of open field and wooded trails.

Thursday, April 28, 2016

It's a beautiful hike with lots to see

Saturday, April 09, 2016

Excellent walk/hike! Big cal burn/steps!!! Do the 10 mile route!

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Flat trail, mildly interesting. Add Monks mound with the challenge and the view and interest goes up. A good portion of the trail is mowed path through farm fields, which is the reason it is a bit tedious. Wooded areas were nice.