Cahokia Mounds

Cahokia Mounds is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Collinsville, Illinois that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

historic site

One of the greatest cities of the world, Cahokia was larger than London was in AD 1250. The Mississippians who lived here were accomplished builders who erected a wide variety of structures from practical homes for everyday living to monumental public works that have maintained their grandeur for centuries.

The biggest Indian mound in the U.S.! This is a neat place to walk and see all these mounds. Also has a archaeology museum with a lot of different Indian tools etc.

I've lived in this area my whole life and finally walked the trail. I usually attend events at the museum and climb Monk's Mound. Park in the last lot, behind the museum. I just stayed left and followed the path, always choosing the least paved paths. It goes much further back into the woods than I thought. I must have seen about a dozen deer. Beautiful.

First class museum, great walking trails to various mounds. This is a destination hike.

great for walking, not what I would consider a hike.

do not follow the ma
misleading. stay on the museum side of trail. very pretty but short. lots of beautiful wildlife! all the deer made the short trail ride worth it!

I was here with family on 8/20/17, one hot day with heat index over 100 degrees. We all did Monk's Mound and then we split up as some could do much more than my Dad & I. By the way, there are 146 stairs to the top of Monk's Mound. It's worth the climb, just be warned if it's hot out, the stairs' railing was super hot to the touch.
Place was great and when it was too hot, the visitor center had a nice museum, movie and gift shop. I hope to do more next time, when it's not so hot

Loved the area - had a lot more real hiking trails than I anticipated although the signage was not very good - it's best to have a trail map before heading out.

easy... i love the deer and wild turkey. i always encounter them here.

Great walk with family. Wonderful history lesson. Nice paved walkways. Steep climb to top of Monk's Mound. Nice view though.