Burden Falls is a 0.8 mile loop trail located near Stonefort, Illinois that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.8 miles Elevation Gain: 78 feet Route Type: Loop

Really beautiful but not easy if you have young children or anyone who is at all unsure of their footing. Definitely requires team work to get kids to be able to play in the water. We didn't end up going all the way down because it was so slick and my parents and the two toddlers just couldn't do it safely. The small falls right at the entrance were plenty of fun to make the trip worth it and as long as you have two people to pass the littles down a couple of rocks it is doable.

Great hike! It’s pretty slippery at some points so be careful! Beautiful waterfalls!

Excellent hike. We went left (clockwise) from the parking lot and took the ridgeline trail down before crossing and coming up the other side of the creek. There is a great vantage point of the falls if you keep climbing up. You can also get to the top of the falls on this side to make it a loop. We were able to do it with 3 children between 3 and 9, but definitely required some teamwork.

very scenic, nice trail alot of climbing, we didn't make it to the bottom , to much climbing to get to the bottom, falls were dried up, road to get to burden falls was a little rough, but we have a jeep so we liked it. beautiful place to go wish the falls would of been flowing, kinda why we went to burden falls to see the falls.

One of the prettiest places my son and I have gone! I'm glad I read the reviews before going and was more aware of what to expect. The road there was definitely rough, hit a pothole in my Mazda 3 and feared I blew a tire but I didn't. phhhew! If you drive slow and pay attention any vehicle can make it. As soon as we exited the car we could hear the first fall. I do highly advise to go during the wet season! The rest of the way to the main fall was kind of scary with a 10 year old boy but we made it through the narrow paths at the top of Burden and down the (very slick) rocks to the bottom. SO WORTH IT!! Tried the trail, which we lost at a couple points so we turned around and spent most of the time exploring at the bottom of the falls. Come time to leave I realized how easy those rocks we're to go down NOT up. Thankfully my son got up and found me an easier way up!

Absolutely beautiful when you get down to the bottom of the falls, but the climb down and back up is a bit treacherous.

beautiful fall,little rough going down,it's slick but worth it

Sun Mar 24 2019

Trail is not well marked at all. The way back up is not clear but a fun experience

Fri Mar 15 2019

We have been here many times. It can be very slick! I love the waterfalls and Rick climbing. The trails are narrow. This is a great place after the rain.

Thu Jan 03 2019

This was a treat. We hike every New Years Day and have lived down here 40 years, but have never been here. Previous reviewers are correct on all points. Rough road to get there, though not muddy or impassable. Our CRV did fine. There are plenty of brown signs to get you there and GPS is on the money. Top of falls are right there but we saw no trail head sign and, in fact, never saw a blaze. We took right off on a path but were immediately off what I suspect is the loop, looking at the map here. We,as others did, walked the ridge top, lost the trail heading down to the creek and then followed the bottom of the bluffs up stream. That was fun! It rained the two days before and water was coming over the bluffs and through the sandstone. It was a cloudy day but he canyon is beautiful. We walked up to bottom of falls and then backtracked to where we were back on top and then walked back to top of falls. A little too much rain for us to safely ford the stream and we still are unclear where the loop goes. We will find out. We're going back!

Fri Nov 23 2018

Ugh. We really wanted to hike this trail but could not stay on the trail. Tried from both directions. Trees down blocking path. Not marked well at all.

Sat Nov 10 2018

Fun little loop trail. Hope to see the waterfall at full force one day but still a fun trail. The back part of the loop can get confusing. There’s a steep hill to climb or go down, depending on what way u r going. Had a great time!

Mon Nov 05 2018

Very cool spot. The Trail itself was hard to find and not marked well but we made it around pretty well. High cliffs that can be wet so proceed with caution. Loved climbing up the rocks near the waterfall.

Sat Sep 08 2018

Waterfall was in full swing when we went, but VERY slippery. Be safe!

Mon Sep 03 2018

No waterfall at all when we went, not even a trickle, so be sure to check before going. We tried to hike the trail but it was too difficult to climb over the rocks and fallen trees with our 2 older dogs. One actually slipped over the side while jumping over a crevice. Luckily his harness held him until we could pull him up. We had to turn around. Very disappointing.

Sun Jul 08 2018

Most of the trail was blocked by fallen trees. Trail is not well marked. Pretty much just got to see the rock formations from the trailhead.

Thu May 24 2018

PLEASE BE CAREFUL HERE. Witnessed a woman fall off the edge because she got too close and slipped. She did not survive her injuries. ALWAYS stay away from wet/slick rocks, wear shoes with good traction and give yourself a few feet from the edge to ensure your safety. VERY DANGEROUS - there are no guard rails, signs or anything to warn of the dangers here.

Sat May 19 2018

This was my favorite hike while my husband were staying in Shawnee. You can see the top of the falls from the parking lot and I was like "this is it?". But the trail takes you down and around and then you can see how cool the falls really are. We were there the day after a good thunderstorm so it was flowing pretty well. You can climb over the rocks at the bottom of the falls to get a better view. There are signs on the road telling you "Burden Falls --->" but the parking lot was not marked. We even had a truck stop us on the way back and ask where it was. Google Maps leads you right there!

Mon Apr 23 2018

Giving this one a 4 star rating only because it is not 100% dog friendly. The falls were beautiful and the rock climbing to get up to the top at the end of the trail was a lot of fun and a big hit with everyone in our group. Except our poor dog who did not love being lifted over some of the rocks. The trail is well marked and easily accessible for dogs except for the last tenth of a mile which requires you to climb up a few rocks to get to the top of the falls and the parking lot. You could always turn back and walk back up the trail to the parking lot but the rocks were much shorter and a whole lot more entertaining. Well worth the drive out and such a fun hike to do. Recommend you be prepared to hike 2 miles or

Mon Apr 02 2018

It definitely earns it's name. But totally worth it

Thu Mar 15 2018

Really pretty area. This was hidden gem you would never find without online mapping. There are no trail markers, Park signs, or any information available at the site, but google maps takes you right to it. The road to get there is poorly maintained which can do damage to commuter cars if the driver is not careful. Falls are at the head of the trail with approximately 3/4 mile loop which leads down around the bluffs over bedrock trails to the base of the falls and cataracts. The trail is poorly demarcated in most places and is a struggle to find the correct path but it is not easy to get lost due to the trail following the canyon. Finding the loop was tricky, as it is a much more advanced climb than the trail leading down to the falls which involves scrambling over rocks and a ledge crawl over the top of the falls. Though it was passable with me and my 60 year-old-mother. We went on March 14th which fed the falls with snow melt providing beautiful views and a nice brisk hike. Though we were both a little winded after climbing up the backside of the falls, I'd definitely recommend this hike. Expect to spend 30 minutes to an hour depending on your speed and agility.

Tue Mar 06 2018

Beautiful, excellent views, wish trail was better marked. going down wasn't to bad but unable to find trail out and had to back track up a very steep hill.

Sat Dec 30 2017

Jackson Falls is better in my opinion. Burden is really easy to get to, with parking literally 10 feet away.