Bell Smith Springs Trail

Bell Smith Springs Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ozark, Illinois that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and camping and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

cave

Directions from Harrisburg: take Highway 145 south 9 miles to Delwood. Take Forest Rd. 402 west 4 miles to Forest Road 447. Turn south on Forest Road 447, continue past Teal Pond to Forest Road 848. Turn southwest on Forest Road 848 for 2 miles to the Recreation Area entrance. From Vienna, take Highway 45 north to Ozark. Turn east and follow the directional signs to the recreation area entrance.

Beautiful!

I feel like there were some difficult spots to hike through and the trails were easy to get lost from,but this trail had some awesome spots to stop and look around at the scenery.

This is a pretty difficult and, at times, treacherous hike. The trail was pretty clearly marked except where there were sudden turns. We, like many people, got lost twice. We saw a family making a risky climb up a fallen log to try to get back on the trail. The scenery was ok, but I'm not sure it was worth the risk. Jackson Hole was a MUCH nicer place to visit. I doubt we'll come back here.

Lengthy hike with unclear markings. Lost the trail a few times. Only a few high points. Definitely a trail I'll only hike once.

Best hike in the park. Natural bridge and the steel ladder was the most fun.

The trail is poorly marked. It became a guessing game if I was actually on the trail.

There are some cool rock features here. Unfortunately trail markers are terrible and to see the arch and half of the cool stuff you have to ford the river as they haven't seen to build a bridge. The day I went it had rained and the river was up several feet and unfordable.

Got lost but enjoyed it cause the views were worth it. Natural bridge was fun to get to, since you have to cross the water. I climbed the ladder but didn't explore the top since my dog was anxiously waiting for me. Devil's backbone was easy to find as well following the black trail markers. Oddly enough... the stairs back to the parking lot was the hardest part!