White Pine National Recreation Trail

White Pine National Recreation Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Harvard, Idaho. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

BRING BREADCRUMBS!
Beautiful trail, steep switchbacks, great workout. I would rate it 5 stars if the signs were more frequent AND more accurate. I was lost for about an hour and countless switchbacks (thighs are screaming) due to signs that were totally off. Seriously, you will come to trail forks for three different directions, and signs pointing to each direction but listing the same location. Bizarre! Definitely take a compass and if possible, a topographical map. Good luck!

I love this hike! It might say 3 miles, but there are multiple trails to pick from and you can easily hike more. However, it says primarily used for hiking, I've got to disagree. I've run across more people on dirt bikes than fellow hikers, so definitely expect some. Supposedly there is supposed to be a "haunted" cabin somewhere near one the trails, however I have yet to find it, granted I haven't done much research on the location of the cabin.

great area. multiple trails that allow many route options. i hiked the three tree butte route but couldnt find the trailhead after hitting the forest service road, but that was probably due to the snow. the first 2 miles is a steady incline and snowshoes will probably be needed after november. will return soon to check out the other trail routes!

Monday, May 01, 2017

There are multiple trails that branch out from the White Pine Campground, including those around Three Tree Butte (easy 3-4-mile hikes) and Bald Mountain (a longer 16-mile hike). We took the trail around Three Tree Butte, and we tramped through a lot of snow and water (multiple streams and rivers were flooded). Luckily we had waterproof boots and gaiters. We didn't encounter anyone on the trail, but it was fairly early in the season (early April). I would recommend going a little bit later in the season.

Friday, January 22, 2016

The trail is part of the history of the Pacific Northwest, being part of a project to make trade flow more easily from the interior places of the Old Oregon Territory to the Pacific Coast businesses in California and Oregon State. I good beginners trail. It was the first trail that my fiancée and I hiked together.

Tuesday, August 01, 2017