West Canfield Butte via Trail 29, Big Tree, and Trail D

West Canfield Butte via Trail 29, Big Tree, and Trail D is a 6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Coeur d'Alene, Idaho that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

off road driving

The Big Tree Trail is also sometimes known as the Bud Howard Trail. This area is within the Idaho Panhandle National Forest. Be on the lookout for mountain bikes and motorcycles as this area is heavily used by them. Users have reported that trails in this area are poorly marked.

Very steep climb, but spectacular views are your reward at the top.

Beautiful day for taking the dog on a hike to Big Tree! Yak-traks, or any spikes/crampons would be recommend as some spots are pure ice. (going up is easy it’s the way down that traction becomes a little tricky!)

Great early morning hike. Not a soul on the trail from 8 to about 10:30 am. The trail started to get icy at about at about a half mile in, so micro spikes were clutch to get to the top without slipping. Didn't see any critters, just deer tracks along the path.

The trail was enveloped in clouds and mist. About an inch of snow fell the previous day. The trees were spectacularly coated in hoar, which dazzled is at every turn. The trail. Was in great shape and we covered the distance out in about two hours. There was about ten inches of snow at the top significantly more than the scant inch or two at the bottom. With the sun setting at 4:00 we didn’t delay, and began our decent, reaching out car at about 3:45. Truly a beautiful Christmas eve hike. ,

Nice north face trail. Lottsa beautiful folliage, solid incline, and stunning views. Will do it again next year!

stay away from this trail of you're riding a horse. BMX and motorcycles pay no attention, accident waiting to happen!

This is a technical strenuous moderate mountain bike ride. We started the trail from the Packsaddle area and climbed up to the top then rode down to the parking lot and out. The climb was more than I was used to and there were numerous root and rock steps to navigate. Not heavily trafficked but did run into hikers, trail runners and other mountain bikers on the trail. The trail is quite narrow in places. The trail marking isn’t as clear as I would have liked so bring a map with you. The weather finally cooled down a bit which was nice.

This trail on the north side of Canfield Mountain in good condition. I parked at crescent court as there is nothing posted at the entry prohibiting parking. There were four other vehicles. Takes about 90 minutes to get to the top of Canfield mountain. No motorized traffic allowed. Careful not to take any trail spurs.

East Crestwood Court is a public street off of Packsaddle Drive, which is also public. This parking is about 234 feet higher in elevation than the parking at Nettleton Gulch and it is much closer to the top of Mt Canfield. Take trail 29 from Crestwood to Canfield Loop Rd to the top, This avoids the most of the mountain bikes and motorcycles you may find near Nettleton Gulch.

With starting at the new trail head I would avoid it now. So many dirt bikes just not a super safe spot to start with pets. The people on the bikes hardly pay attention to which trails they are not allowed on. Wouldn't recommend now :/

04/18/2018-We started at Crestwood Court. The trail was in good shape. Two blow downs right before the Big Tree. Shortly after Big Tree the snow got very deep and numerous blow downs. We couldn’t make it to the Forrest service road to go up to the tower. Other hikers reported moose and bear on the trail past Big Tree. Still, we were able to hike 3.4 miles and gain 1,000 feet in elevation.

Sunday, February 04, 2018

Great trail was mixed between ice and hard pack.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

I did this hike today (Jan 29) and did not see anyone else. Description above is wrong. There is no river. RT to road is 6 miles. Big tree is about 1.5 mi from start. First part of trail was bare. Near top I was sinking up to my knees every once in a while. Spikes recommended for icy grades. Very nice views along route of Hayden Lake and mts north of Spokane.

Monday, January 29, 2018

Beautiful views, was really icy though and nearly slipped off the trail a couple of times. Going to wear micro spikes the next time!

Sunday, January 07, 2018

Great day in the woods playing in the snow, deep in parts but doable without snow shoes :)

Monday, January 01, 2018

Trail was snow packed already so we just wore our boots and headed up. Nice little climb and beautiful on a bluebird winter day. Took the switch back up and took an indent back that went straight down along the ridge. I've never been here before so not sure if we were on a designated trail but it all went back to the same place eventually. We saw a lot of deer tracks but didn't see animal or person the whole journey. If you love icy wisps and snowy pines I'd recommend bringing your camera or phone. Great little close-by if you don't want to drive too far.

Monday, December 04, 2017

Great trail. Easy to access right outside Coeur d’Alene. The trail on this side of Canfield is clearly marked and- unlike the other side- dirt bikers are not allowed so the trail is not muddy. Conditions were great today. You are covered in trees the entire trail. There is one overlook and then the end is just when you hit the NFS road. Could be ideal for trail running too with good inclines along the way.

Sunday, November 19, 2017

There are two routes. Switch back that go gradual up or a shorter steeper route. Very nice well maintained trail. You park in a nice high end neighborhood. One of the top 10 near CDA.

Saturday, November 11, 2017

This is a pretty good hike and can be challenging. set aside a handful if hours for sure. If you go in winter I highly suggest snow shoes once you get past the big tree if you continue to the peak. Still a wonderful view if you go to the Big tree.

Monday, October 30, 2017

This trail was awesome and a challenge, we attempted to get to the top while kids were in school but we did not succeed as we only have from 12:45-3:20. We talked about coming back every week to keep trying. Thought this would be a fun idea until we had to walk down, I mean slide down, lol, I fell on my butt three times. Yes I was wearing sneakers but even my hubby in his trail boots had a slip. Now i'm a little timid. I will return when I'm shoed for the part:) until then.....

Sunday, October 22, 2017

I think I took the wrong turn once I reached the service road, but it was still a decent hike with some limited views of the lake as you climbed

Thursday, October 19, 2017

The power was out in Hayden, this morning, so rather than sit and tell myself ghost stories until sunlight, I headed for Big Tree Trail. I came up the mountain at 5:30 am, in the dark. As I write this, I am sitting on the log beneath the big tree. In spite of the wind and rain last night, it is a beautiful morning. There were a few fallen branches across the trail, but I've cleared them. The morning is splendid! I am happy to be alive!

Wednesday, October 04, 2017

Completed this trail yesterday. Started out morning at 32 degrees. Definitely about 9 miles total. There were a few switch backs, but for the most part steady incline. About 3 miles in the trail tees into a service road. You need to take a hard right before road to a trail marked “D”. You will then have another mile to top. You then need to continue on a short piece to the communication tower. This is where the best views are.Definitely worth the trip.

Sunday, October 01, 2017

Never found the "river."

Monday, September 04, 2017

Moderate hike up the north and west side of Canfield with views of Hayden Lake and the Rathdrum Prarie. Well maintained trail, some switchbacks at the start, but it evens out to a gradual incline. We went to the end of the trail and then took the dirt road to the top of Canfield to views of the lake to the South, then back down Trail D to the Bud Howard trail. Total of 7.3 miles. Total hiking time was about 3 hours.

Sunday, August 27, 2017

The trail is pretty with a couple of lookouts over the lake. If you want to reach a look out at the end of the trail you have to hike up on a different trail a few more miles. This trial that the tracking shows just ends at a road with options to continue further for the lookout.

Monday, August 21, 2017

Saw some black bear cubs on the trail

Saturday, August 19, 2017

We hiked to the top for the great view, which brought our total mileage to just over 7 miles. Great trail!

Monday, August 14, 2017

Nice trail for jogging!

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Nice hike up and back. Luckily, didn't see Mama Bear and cub.