Weir Creek Hot Springs is a 0.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Kooskia, Idaho that features hot springs and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and bird watching. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length0.7 miElevation gain68 ftRoute typeOut & back
Dogs on leashHikingWalkingBird watchingForestHot springsRiverWildflowersWildlife
Waypoints (0)
Photos (22)
Recordings (17)
Completed (135)
Brittany Westegaard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 26, 2021
Nature tripsGreat!IcyMuddyRockySnow

The trail is listed as moderate, but in the winter months I’d list it as hard. It was barley do-able with regular hiking boots, you’ll definitely need spikes for the regular trail. We listened to another review about taking the trail by the creek, and was easier than regular trail but STILL HARD. Hot springs was absolutely worth it! We soaked in pool for like 2 1/2 hours and felt like it was the perfect temp. Definitely worth the hike!

Sara Shay
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 24, 2021
Hiking

The trail leading in was way icy and spikes were needed but we found a lower trail by the river that was better. The hot springs were very warm and delightful

View Sara's Recording
Janelle Sordelet
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 16, 2021
CampingIcySnow

The trail to the hot spring was compacted and icy. Getting to the camp site across the river was hard and there were too many people for my comfort. Over Saturday night into Sunday morning, people were going to and from the hot springs. They made a lot of noise through the night...Grand Central Station, ignorant people leaving cigarette butts and bringing glass to the hot springs. The upper hot spring, that fits four people comfortably, was Luke warm.

View Janelle's Recording
Carey Guhlke-Falk
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 10, 2021
HikingIcySnow

The trail is narrow and there were a few spots that were incredibly icy. Someone put up ropes that were helpful to pass the ice. I can see how the whole trail could become very icy so be prepared. This trail is beautiful and easy and the reward at the end is worth it! The hot springs are incredible! Go early, bring a snack and a drink, and spend the morning relaxing. Make sure to bring towels and a way to keep your clothes dry while you’re in the pools if it is snowing or raining.

Kellen Faechner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 9, 2021
Nature trips

I would rate this higher, but we couldn’t even make it to the hot springs. It was a pretty solid sheet of ice. We were very early on the trail when two different groups came back down saying they couldn’t make it up and that it got worse. If you are planning on going, have the right gear to navigate through ice! We will go back when there is less ice!

Gracie Schwenk
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 21, 2020

Fun trip! About half a mile from the parking lot to the trail. I saw three pools. It was busy so I recommend going early to avoid the crowds. The trail is slippery so wear traction. The parking lot was also a mess when we left and cars were getting stuck. I recommend a car with high clearance. On a side note, I saw a lot of garbage up there. Scrunchies, bandaides, and beer bottles. Pack out what you pack in. For anyone going up in the future, it would be awesome if you brought up a garbage bag and maybe picked up the litter. I wish I would have done this and plan to next time.

Hannah Ettema
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 30, 2020
IcyMuddySnow

The parking area can be easy to miss so keep an eye out. I’d recommend coming early. The trail is on a steep ridge above the creek. We visited about a week after some early season snow and the trail was really slick. I’d recommend wearing spikes or yak tracks if you have some. It was a great day trip!

Heidi Lucking
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 19, 2020
Nature tripsGreat!Muddy

Beautiful hot spring and easy to get to! There are 3 or 4 small pools, the largest is the hottest with temperatures of 107 degrees Fahrenheit where the water comes out I was told. It also has a tube to vacuum out the bottom (using gravity, starting the process just like you would sucking gasoline through a tube) and spouts to drain the water that are plugged by the bottom of aluminum cans. It can fit about 8 people comfortably. Camping is good right along the creek at the start of the trail, but the lot is small and easy to miss, it’s right on a corner. Half of the cars parked there appeared to be campers vs soakers. Definitely worth the trip!

Marvin Gill
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 1, 2020
Hiking

Nice easy hike. 3 pools that I saw. The upper pool is the best imo. Quite a bit smaller than the middle pool. The middle pool seemed too hot for me and my hiking partner. The lower pool is small and had quite a bit of silt in the bottom. I'm not sure why people aren't mentioning just how slippery the rock is between the pools. I'm a pretty surefooted person but both me and my partner slipped and fell on our butts a few times. Rock is covered with a slimy algae of some sort. BE CAREFUL!

Carrie Rode
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 26, 2020

Beautiful small but steep hike up trail to Amazing views in warm springs. Both tubs are small only fit about 10 people total. Another 5 people maybe with lower pool when creek is low. Well worth the trek. Serene natural beauty.

Taylor Ward
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 5, 2020
IcyRocky

We hiked this trail today and I will warn anyone intending to make this trek: it is treacherous in the winter and yaktrax/ spikes are a near necessity. Yes, the trail to the hot spring is only half a mile long, but it was completely covered in packed down snow and became a solid sheet of ice angled toward the riverbed. Luckily, my partner and I were both wearing yaktrax and were able to make it to the hot springs without incident. However, we saw several other people in hiking boots slipping and sliding, and saw one man slide down the side of the cliff. All of this being said, the hot springs are picturesque, roomy, and the perfect temperature for a long soak. It was well worth the journey. I would just reccomend that anyone attempting this hike in the winter prepare accordingly.

Tiffany Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 15, 2019
HikingIcy

Nice short hike to the hot springs. First natural hot springs. Right off the highway!

Jared Gerber
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 20, 2019
Hiking

great. short, hilly, cliffside. 1 main tub, 2 smaller.

View Jared's Recording
Elizabeth Oliver
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 15, 2019
HikingBugs

Did this June 29th the pool was very hot so I could only sit for a few minutes. Gorgeous!

Lori S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 14, 2019
Hiking

Hiked this on Mother’s Day - trail was in good condition and dry. Weir Creek along the trail is going strong right now - very scenic hike and nice hot springs!

Annika Dillon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 28, 2019
Ashley D
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 28, 2019

I went at the end of December. The hike was really easy and short. I would recommend some spikes in the winter but it's not a necessity. The pools were probably around 95-100. It was also heavily trafficked on a Friday afternoon.

Heather Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 5, 2019

My first time here and this is a great winter visit! Be prepared tho microspikes saved my toosh a few times. If you are going bring them! Doable without but my hiking partner hit the ground several times as did his dog. There are several pools but we arrived a little late and got the middle pool. Enough for 2-3 people of your friendly :). Rumors of cars being broken into at the trailhead so take precautions with your valuables.

Daniel Blankenship
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 21, 2018
Hiking

Weir Creek Hot Springs is a great way to spend the day. It’s only .7 of a mile to the Springs but it is ALL uphill except for the last .1 of a mile. So I’d say it’s a moderate hike even though it’s short. Like everywhere else in Idaho, clothing IS optional, so there will be naked people here; myself and my wife included if we are there. Lol. That being said, everyone, clothed or not is polite and respectful and there are a lot of conversations going on and people just enjoy themselves in general here! Definitely worth the day trip or half day! Go!

Andrew Hinkle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 25, 2018
Hiking

Nice secluded spot, at least it was back in 2014. Not sure how it's held up.