Upper Palisades Lake Trail

Upper Palisades Lake Trail is a 13.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Irwin, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

It's a heavily traveled trail and a great one to start on. We usually hit this one in June each year for an overnight experience and the fishing in the upper lake is usually pretty good! Keep an eye out for moose and deer!

Great weekend backpacking destination.

Absolutely Beautiful!!!

We just went to the lower lake. Really fun trail. Gradual incline to the lower lake. Plenty of places to rest. The trail is mostly in the shade and has beautiful views the entire way.

First of all, when the description says heavily used, it's not joking around. The first four miles of the trail (to the lower lake) will see a lot of traffic on the weekends in the summer, mostly due to the relative ease of the trail and the views along the way. Beyond the lower lake, the traffic drops off quite a bit.

The first four miles offer views of the creek. Mountain goats can often be seen on the canyon walls. The lower lake isn't anything too spectacular, though there is a nice resting area.

Between the lower and upper lakes, keep an eye out for moose in the marshy areas. At roughly six miles in, the trail splits. If you enjoy water crossings, you can continue on up Palisades creek. Otherwise, you'll cross the bridge and take a few switchbacks to the upper lake.

The trail along the upper lake will have you in the direct sunlight. However, once you reach the far end of the upper lake, there are several great camp sites. The forest service has even installed a vault toilet.

If you've come this far, the additional three miles up waterfall canyon is worth the effort, particularly in the late spring or early summer when the snow runoff produces a second cascading waterfall on the opposite side of the canyon. One can even take the waterfall canyon trail up to the top of the basin, where it connects with Austin canyon (which can take you over toward Big Elk Creek) and the Waterfall Crest trail, which at the crest connects to the Sheep Creek trail and the Lake Canyon trail, the latter taking you back down to the Lower Palisades lake (caution: this trail will likely be overgrown and GPS is strongly recommended).

Liked this hike. It follows the stream the whole way and is very scenic. Elevation gain is gradual. You can fish the stream if you want

beautiful hike, the upper lake is totally worth it and the water is great to swim in during the warm season! took us about 5.5-6 hours to complete with lunch included! bring sunscreen and a camera, you won't regret either!

Awesome trail up through a canyon following the creek to 2 lakes. Great fishing and camping, some prime Idaho backcountry. It is a popular trail but there is a reason for that ;)

2 miles with fat tire bike, sat on gravel slope at rivers edge then turned back. I had to walk with the bike so much a couple hiking for an overnight camp passed me. Coming back was fun had to dismount more for hikers with children nonetheless it's a beautiful creek.

I wonder if anyone white water paddles the creek. I didn't see any blockages or situations that may trap a paddler, but could not view the entire creek.

At my start and 1st hour I talked with 4 bikers (together but separated) coming down, made it to the fall but started at 7am and described it as very difficult with rock slides and trees over the path. These were young fit bikers and they were exhausted. I'm 68, not even intermediate in terms of this style of mountain biking and I found it too difficult with many-many rocks, huge roots, blind corners, and a rock slide across the path. All manageable coming down but slower than fast pased hiking with gear going up. A young couple showed me how slow I was as they kept catching up to me and then left me in their dust.

Lots of families, incapable little children, babes in arms and elementary school age kids beaten feet with their folks. Bikers cannot ride through groups of 4 to 10 (tiny children) and a good number of dogs all on leashes. Horse dropping but didn't see any horseback riders

If I go back it will be hiking with plans for overnight or two. Bike it early if you are strong of legs, shoulders/arms and aerobics. Wear a helmet of course.

Bear area so bring your spray.

The trail is taken good care of and over 50% of the trail is in the shade. The hike runs along the creek the whole time. Beautiful and scenic. Some rocky spots, but manageable. Nice hike.

great trail. make sure to use the rope swing at the upper lake.

Love this hike!

The trail is very narrow not much of an incline until you get half way up to the upper Lake long beautiful scenery saw a moose and the baby moose one snake the water is gorgeous

Fun trail. We took our kids and our dog, camped at the lower lake, and hiked to the upper lake and back down the next day. Bring your bug spray; the biting flies and mosquitoes are out of control.

Makes for a long day hike but so worth it.

This was probably the most beautiful hike i've been on so far The lakes were pretty full The creek was moving pretty fast . It was an awesome hike.

Busy trail but fun and scenic

it was a great hike

great hike. pretty long but well worth the work once you get to the lake. great fishing as well!!

A beautifully scenic hike, enjoy!

Monday, March 27, 2017

Great little hike, Took an overnighter to the upper lake, about a half mile form the lake the snow starts to get knee level, so either wear gaiters or try to beat the heat so it doesn't melt and you fall through. But a beautiful, easy hike for everyone.

Monday, February 20, 2017

Beautiful area!! Summer & Fall are the best times to take this hike. Start earlier in the morning if you are making the full hike. Advice from many hikers- Don't get caught in the canyon at dark!(Very dangerous due to mountain lions)

Monday, February 13, 2017

I have done this in the summer and it was great, (hence the five stars) but this time was the hardest hike I have ever attempted. I just went up with a friend last night. We started late at about 4 in the afternoon. That was a bad decision. the snow there now is about 3 1/2 to 4 feet. We were prepared for snow but not this much. It was going good for about two miles but our feet constantly fell through the half packed snow after the second mile. Darkness fell quickly and we hiked for about another hour through the snow but made little progress. We encountered a bear just as we were about to cross the last bridge before the lower lake and decided to turn back about a half mile to a grove of trees. in and out we saw 6 moose, 7 deer, and a bear. although we didn't make it to the first lake, we had fun and saw some great winter sights. Be aware that there are multiple (5 or so) avalanches blocking the trail. bring snowshoes and climbing gear.

Monday, November 07, 2016

Beautiful Hike! It was muddy and there was slippery from Ice at times but no snow! I would recommend it especially during the summer. The lake was pretty and would have been great to swim in if it were a bit warmer.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Hiked in on October 23. I would like to do this again in the summer. I guess I'm out of shape because this hike was not easy. It kicked my butt but it was well worth it. It took us three hours to get to the Upper Lake and about the same to get out. I agree with everyone about the horse poop and mud.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

This was a fun hike! The lakes are beautiful! A bit muddy in the fall and pretty busy in the afternoon. We saw 3 moose the day we went!

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Worth doing but maybe pick a week day instead of a weekend. It's no secret by any means and can get crowded. Especially with the horses and, as others have mentioned, the horse poo. :(

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

horse poop on the nature..but it's very pretty there.just the poop bugs me.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

nice trail very pretty except horse poop.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

sucks..horse poop in mother nature