Upper Palisades Lake Trail

Upper Palisades Lake Trail is a 15.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Irwin, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

Great little hike, Took an overnighter to the upper lake, about a half mile form the lake the snow starts to get knee level, so either wear gaiters or try to beat the heat so it doesn't melt and you fall through. But a beautiful, easy hike for everyone.

Beautiful area!! Summer & Fall are the best times to take this hike. Start earlier in the morning if you are making the full hike. Advice from many hikers- Don't get caught in the canyon at dark!(Very dangerous due to mountain lions)

I have done this in the summer and it was great, (hence the five stars) but this time was the hardest hike I have ever attempted. I just went up with a friend last night. We started late at about 4 in the afternoon. That was a bad decision. the snow there now is about 3 1/2 to 4 feet. We were prepared for snow but not this much. It was going good for about two miles but our feet constantly fell through the half packed snow after the second mile. Darkness fell quickly and we hiked for about another hour through the snow but made little progress. We encountered a bear just as we were about to cross the last bridge before the lower lake and decided to turn back about a half mile to a grove of trees. in and out we saw 6 moose, 7 deer, and a bear. although we didn't make it to the first lake, we had fun and saw some great winter sights. Be aware that there are multiple (5 or so) avalanches blocking the trail. bring snowshoes and climbing gear.

Beautiful Hike! It was muddy and there was slippery from Ice at times but no snow! I would recommend it especially during the summer. The lake was pretty and would have been great to swim in if it were a bit warmer.

Hiked in on October 23. I would like to do this again in the summer. I guess I'm out of shape because this hike was not easy. It kicked my butt but it was well worth it. It took us three hours to get to the Upper Lake and about the same to get out. I agree with everyone about the horse poop and mud.

This was a fun hike! The lakes are beautiful! A bit muddy in the fall and pretty busy in the afternoon. We saw 3 moose the day we went!

Worth doing but maybe pick a week day instead of a weekend. It's no secret by any means and can get crowded. Especially with the horses and, as others have mentioned, the horse poo. :(

horse poop on the nature..but it's very pretty there.just the poop bugs me.

nice trail very pretty except horse poop.

sucks..horse poop in mother nature

Must see with all the fall colors!! Lower and Upper Lakes worth seeing!!!

This is a beautiful day hike worth doing! We got to the trailhead at 9:30am and were pulling out by 4pm. We hiked to the upper lake and had lunch. Not much signage on the trail until you make it to lower lake... but if you go left when starting at the trailhead it's pretty self explanatory to keep on the correct trail. It's equal parts shaded/sunny and follows along the creek the whole way up. We had 3 moose sightings!! Note: it is a little longer than the sign says (2.7mi) at lower lake to get to upper lake- but not by much. The trail gets a little steeper when heading to upper lake but not too bad and definitely worth it. By far the prettiest lake I've ever hiked to see. The water is breathtaking. Pretty fall colors right now too! :)

much better in early spring

Great hike- easy trail