Two Mouth Lakes

Two Mouth Lakes is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bonners Ferry, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I did this on 7/15 as a day hike. The first 1,5 miles is on a dusty logging road. Once on the trail, it's mile after mile dense huckleberry bushes and forest. It finally starts to open up near the top of the ridge. The cirque holding both lakes is large and much nicer than the trail getting there. The way out went fast except for the last 1.5 miles on the sun baked dusty logging road.

Also, the GPS directions to the trailhead took me on a lengthy route on terrible roads. If you do this hike use the driving route as in Rich Landers' book 100 hikes in the inland NW I took that way out. Much nicer.

This is one I won't repeat.

Oh. The GPS trail tracking feature on the downloaded map worked great! I used it all day. I never would have found the trail without it. And it used almost no battery life. It was great. Thanks for that feature !!

This is no longer a trail. They decided to log the area and ruin it. I drove out on 7/12/17. And the start of the trail is now a gated rough dirt road marked for logging and says trail closed.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

beautiful. looks like an Asian rock garden. worth every step.

Monday, September 21, 2015

This was our first hiking trail in the Bonners area and we loved it! The drive out was beautiful, but took a while and you need to pay attention to the mileage when you need to turn on the dirt roads because they are not marked! Also, about two miles before the trail there is another trail marker for a different trail which we almost went to. Once you get to the trail, the signage is clearly market Two Mouth Lakes. To get to the lakes it took us about 3 hours with rests. 95 percent of the trip to the lakes us UP HILL. There are amazing vistas and views once on the top of the ridgeline right before you descent to the lakes. In our opinion we liked the lake to the left, but its all a mater of opinion. Both are beautiful. The walk back was a relief as it was mostly downhill which was a relief because we were very tired. I would recommend taking gear to camp and planning for long rests at the lake. We had a blast!

Friday, September 11, 2015

Great hike with lots of views of the surrounding peaks! Be aware though that this hike, unlike all the others I have done in the Selkirks, does not have a bear box for food storage (that I was able to find). I camped at the 2nd (larger) lake, but I would say they are equal in terms of views. I used google maps to find the driving route and it got me right there, the trail is also well labeled for parking. Cheers!

Sunday, August 02, 2015

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

This hike is stunning! I have done a lot of hiking in the NW and this one is one of the best I have done in Idaho. I have hiked it twice now, and plan on hiking it once or twice a year every year. The views of the granite mountains on the way up and once you get there are just amazing. You hike up to a saddle and descend to the lakes. If you want my advice, go to the upper lake first. Pass the lower lake and just keep following the trail. Once you are done exploring the upper lake, find the creek that leaves the lake toward the lower lake. There is a trail you can follow through a meadow all the way to the lower lake following a beautiful creek. The views of the mountains from this creek are stunning and create some of the best photo opps on the whole hike. I have uploaded photos from both hikes so you can see what it looks like. Also, one other tip. If you really want to experience all this hike has to offer, when you get to the saddle heading toward the lakes, take a right into the bushes and keep following the little trail. You will be lead out to the ridge, great views! Keep following the ridge to the top. It looks intimidating, but it's more than doable. There are some area you will need to rock climb a bit (we did it with no equipment) but it's so incredibly worth it when you get to the top. There is another lake that can be seen, not sure of the name. There is a lot to experience here, definitely worth hiking more than once!

Thursday, July 05, 2012

Two mouth has beautiful alpine lakes and scenery. View of Harrison Peak. Hiked this twice, once stayed overnight and was sunny and gorgeous. The second it was cool, cloudy and the trail had snow in places and some of the trail pretty muddy (July 4th). Nevertheless, the views as the mist swirled around was awesome. Hiked up to the other lake where the views are equally good but a little wet getting there.

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Two mouth lakes is great alpine country, but the lakes were not compatible to others I've hiked to in the area (Harrison Lake). To improve your experience, I would recommend blazing a trail up to the ridge, and enjoy the view from above, and if you have time, ridge-climb to Harrison Peak.
Expect to see moose, and if you stay overnight, the second lake would be my choice.