Two Mouth Lakes is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bonners Ferry, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,162 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Great Hike up, started to hail when we approached the trailhead. Once it stopped we hiked in and only had to avoid a few muddy areas. The hike was pretty easy for a 2K elevation change, only a few difficult parts. The mosquitoes were pretty bad, and it was really cold at night, did not come prepared for that. The lake was beautiful, the area had about 3 good campsites around the big lake, didn't explore the small lake much, would definitely return!

Amazing views!!! Just an awesome area! A little muddy, but not bad on the trail. Still feels like spring up there, so if staying the night bring a light coat. We had a lightning/wind storm overnight. Only downside is the large company of mosquitoes that tried to carry away my hiking buddy. ;)

This is a great trail, starting up an old road and then turning into a trail for remainder. It’s seems rather wet up there. We had horseback riders and hikers. It’s about 4.5 miles up, I think and it took us 1 hour and 40 minutes. This trail is not for novice riders, horses, or hikers. It can be a bit of a climb. Rocks, bridges, creeks, the usual. The lake is actually 2 lakes. We veered off the the left of the first lake and found our way to the bigger of the two. It’s a swampy area. Lake is relatively shallow in areas. Fish were not biting today. Hour and a half back out. Tired but rewarding. Thanks

Trail conditions somewhat muddy and snow patches up top near the pass which can be slightly confusing. Otherwise trail very well maintained with fresh cuts thanks to recent trail workers. Obvious bear habitat with signs of bear everywhere but didn’t see any. We did have a moose run in which ended fine. Otherwise each lake has unique beauty and if not for the strong cold wind and moose, would have wanted to stay longer.

Thu Jan 31 2019

This was a fairly difficult trail with good elevation gain. It was well maintained, but due to snow we did lose the trail near the top for a few minutes and had to improvise. Made it to the top however and down to the first two lakes where we camped for the night before making our way back out in the morning. We heard a bear growl/roar echo off the cliff face in the distance (probably at the next mountain lake over) and had a large hoofed visiter in the night pass on by. All in all a great hike!

Mon Sep 03 2018

Great hike with rewarding views!!!

Sat Jul 28 2018

Great hike. You have to hike up the logging road past the locked gate about 1.3 miles to the trailhead. Some downed trees over trail but easy to maneuver over. Still a lot of water running across the trail if you have dogs. Beautiful views. Bring bug spray!

Mon Jun 25 2018

This is great trail. Yes you go through where they logged but once past that the trail is awesome. There still snow in the upper elevations but when it’s 60 out it’s a lot of fun. Both lakes are amazing. They have their own beauty. I highly recommend this hike!

Mon Oct 30 2017

Hiked to the lake with the Boy Scout Troop for a quick 1 day/1 night trip. We had anticipated having some spotty snow on the ground at the lakes, and hoped to do some rock climbing practice in the area. However, we hit the snow line less than 1/2 mile into the hike and were looking at 8-10 inches by the time we reached the lakes. The biggest surprise was that the lake was quite solidly frozen over already. We had to break trail through the snow on the way up, but we found it pretty easy to follow the route. Plenty of bridges over the marshy areas and orange ribbons showed the way. The temperature ranged from the upper 20s to the upper 50s while we were out, so the snow was soft and wet during the daylight hours, and frozen over during the night. Majestic views of the mountains and beautiful landscape made this a worthwhile outing.

Sun Jul 16 2017

I did this on 7/15 as a day hike. The first 1,5 miles is on a dusty logging road. Once on the trail, it's mile after mile dense huckleberry bushes and forest. It finally starts to open up near the top of the ridge. The cirque holding both lakes is large and much nicer than the trail getting there. The way out went fast except for the last 1.5 miles on the sun baked dusty logging road. Also, the GPS directions to the trailhead took me on a lengthy route on terrible roads. If you do this hike use the driving route as in Rich Landers' book 100 hikes in the inland NW I took that way out. Much nicer. This is one I won't repeat. Oh. The GPS trail tracking feature on the downloaded map worked great! I used it all day. I never would have found the trail without it. And it used almost no battery life. It was great. Thanks for that feature !!

Thu Jul 13 2017

This is no longer a trail. They decided to log the area and ruin it. I drove out on 7/12/17. And the start of the trail is now a gated rough dirt road marked for logging and says trail closed.

Tue Jun 14 2016

beautiful. looks like an Asian rock garden. worth every step.

Mon Sep 21 2015

This was our first hiking trail in the Bonners area and we loved it! The drive out was beautiful, but took a while and you need to pay attention to the mileage when you need to turn on the dirt roads because they are not marked! Also, about two miles before the trail there is another trail marker for a different trail which we almost went to. Once you get to the trail, the signage is clearly market Two Mouth Lakes. To get to the lakes it took us about 3 hours with rests. 95 percent of the trip to the lakes us UP HILL. There are amazing vistas and views once on the top of the ridgeline right before you descent to the lakes. In our opinion we liked the lake to the left, but its all a mater of opinion. Both are beautiful. The walk back was a relief as it was mostly downhill which was a relief because we were very tired. I would recommend taking gear to camp and planning for long rests at the lake. We had a blast!

Fri Sep 11 2015

Great hike with lots of views of the surrounding peaks! Be aware though that this hike, unlike all the others I have done in the Selkirks, does not have a bear box for food storage (that I was able to find). I camped at the 2nd (larger) lake, but I would say they are equal in terms of views. I used google maps to find the driving route and it got me right there, the trail is also well labeled for parking. Cheers!

Tue Oct 28 2014

This hike is stunning! I have done a lot of hiking in the NW and this one is one of the best I have done in Idaho. I have hiked it twice now, and plan on hiking it once or twice a year every year. The views of the granite mountains on the way up and once you get there are just amazing. You hike up to a saddle and descend to the lakes. If you want my advice, go to the upper lake first. Pass the lower lake and just keep following the trail. Once you are done exploring the upper lake, find the creek that leaves the lake toward the lower lake. There is a trail you can follow through a meadow all the way to the lower lake following a beautiful creek. The views of the mountains from this creek are stunning and create some of the best photo opps on the whole hike. I have uploaded photos from both hikes so you can see what it looks like. Also, one other tip. If you really want to experience all this hike has to offer, when you get to the saddle heading toward the lakes, take a right into the bushes and keep following the little trail. You will be lead out to the ridge, great views! Keep following the ridge to the top. It looks intimidating, but it's more than doable. There are some area you will need to rock climb a bit (we did it with no equipment) but it's so incredibly worth it when you get to the top. There is another lake that can be seen, not sure of the name. There is a lot to experience here, definitely worth hiking more than once!

Thu Jul 05 2012

Two mouth has beautiful alpine lakes and scenery. View of Harrison Peak. Hiked this twice, once stayed overnight and was sunny and gorgeous. The second it was cool, cloudy and the trail had snow in places and some of the trail pretty muddy (July 4th). Nevertheless, the views as the mist swirled around was awesome. Hiked up to the other lake where the views are equally good but a little wet getting there.

Thu Sep 29 2011

Two mouth lakes is great alpine country, but the lakes were not compatible to others I've hiked to in the area (Harrison Lake). To improve your experience, I would recommend blazing a trail up to the ridge, and enjoy the view from above, and if you have time, ridge-climb to Harrison Peak. Expect to see moose, and if you stay overnight, the second lake would be my choice.

recorded Two mouth