Table Rock Trail

Table Rock Trail is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Boise, Idaho that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Typically a very busy trail used by young and old alike. There are some very steep sections but also other routes to mitigate these. Cell service throughout entire hike. City overlook over the majority of the hike. Main features "the Cross" and "quarry". Can also drive to top to main view. Little to NO shade, no water, takes an average person about 45mins to 1hr to hike to the top. Hike to the top and return though there are multiple routes you can take up and back.

OK hike. Lots of people, decent view from the top and facilities available at trailhead. Cigarette butts, on trail and at peak, and graffiti detract from the experience. If you're more of a solitude seeker there are other trails nearby that may suit your tastes better but this is worth the trip if you have never done it.

Great little hike

Great trail for walking the dog!

Nice trail with some steep sections and loose sand. Great vibes of Boise.

Good place to take the kids for a quick hike or if you are just getting them into hiking. Our kids easily did it at 4 and 5 years. There is no shade, but since it only takes about 45 minutes it's not a problem.

I suppose the rating really is subjective based on what each individual is searching for. If what you’re looking for is untouched nature and peace and quiet, you’ll not really find this here. It’s HIGHLY trafficked as one of the most popular and easy to access trails and you’ll see some graffiti on the rocks. The hike is uphill all the way but not very strenuous; you’ll see people of all ages on the trail. You’ll also see a lot of dogs. Unfortunately, not everyone complies with the requirement for a leash so be prepared for that IF your dog is reactive or if you’re not a fan of dogs. We take ours on a leash and they do well! It is HOT at this time of year so make sure you bring plenty of water. There is one area where there were a few trees providing shade but that’s the exception and not the rule; that’s one of the stops we made for a dog water break. No trekking poles required.

The trail is composed of finely packed dirt for the majority of the way and the end yields a pretty epic view of Boise. All-in-all, if you’re looking for a quick work out or short hike, this meets that intent.

Went out with family to this hike. It was 80 degrees with a slight breeze. Perfect hike and something great to do in a weekend. Not too crowded Either. Beautiful views. It is uphill the whole way and then downhill all the way back. No shade really. Bring water. Nothing too strenuous. A lot of younger kids on trials , so kid friendly. Dogs welcomed too.

Great neighborhood backyard hike

Hiked this trail today with our 11 year old twins. Beautiful hike and so worth it. Pretty easy though we did have to take a couple ‘breaks’ for our child but it was lovely! Saw all ages conquering the hike! We did the longest trail we could find.

I hiked this trail for the very first time today. I am a beginner hiker so the trail was pretty decent and my 6 year old had an amazing time as well. I learned is there are different trails to take to get to the top of table rock and that was cool.

yay!

It’s got some spectacular views.

Not a particularly attractive trail going up (very open and no trees), but the view from the top is about as good as you can get in Boise.

Fun, accessible, short hike. Great views atop a lacustrine sandstone deposit!

let me add one thing: if you go during the old penitentiary museum's open hours, you can use their restrooms and cold drinking fountain.

A great urban hiking destination. You can take the #17 bus from downtown Boise all the way to the Old Penitentiary to find the trailhead. Nice varied trail. May has an incredible wildflower display! I felt like a bad a$$ until I saw the preschooler hiking back down. Haha.

Hiked this yesterday. Was difficult for me as a first hike but overall worth it. Totally amazing views and a good workout.

This is a good trail that will make you work at times. some steep stuff especially near the top. A great view of the Treasure Valley from the top. Lots of people taking their dogs for a workout but the trail is plenty wide most of the way.

Fun little hike. I used to do it all the time when I lived in Boise. Not a lot of shade in the summer though so early or lake hour recommended and lots of water with that desert heat. I posted views and am sharing my blog post because I hiked it after it burnt down a few years ago and the photos are unique! (https://www.brisul.com/blog//2016/07/table-rock-fire-in-boise.html)

One of my all time favorite hikes.

Well beatin tail makes it easy in nice weather. Bring lots of water and use sunscreen, 0% shade. Remember to pack out some trash you find up there!

Great hike - pretty views. It gets challenging in the heat but doable. Would hike again especially earlier in the morning.

Great trail with scenic views of Boise! The Table Rock trail connects with the Shoshone Loop trail so you have plenty of options. Dog friendly but must be kept on leash! Expect moderate traffic but wide trails allow the traffic flow. The Wife, the doggo, and I hiked up to the cross and back down which was a great workout! Will definitely hike again!

Beautiful

Great view of the city!

Great hike...it was a good workout. There were a lot of people. I went on a 62 degree day so the weather was perfect, it’d be a much tougher hike on a hot day. Overall it was a good experience. I would imagine it’s prettier as you get into spring, everything was still pretty brown.

P.S. I didn’t find the graffiti to be much of an eyesore as mentioned by other reviewers.

Great to do with kids on a cloudy day. If it’s too sunny I could see how it would be too much for sun exposure and get sunburned. It’s a good pleasure hike with a nice view :)

I wouldn't call it a hike so much as a leg stretcher. Gravel dirt path meandering to the table. The view was pretty great, and the kids enjoyed clambering amongst the rocks, which is great if you don't mind the dangers of horrendous amount of shattered glass littering the whole underside of the table. In the end, we walked away with some decent photos.

Great for a 50 degree day, no shade, so it could be very hot in the summer. Could be very challenging, but doable, for kiddos.

Had a great time hiking. We went before the big snowfall. It’s a decent workout-gets your lungs cleared up! Great short workout before the holiday eating.