Sidewinder Trail to Stinking Springs

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(68)
Ririe, Idaho

Sidewinder Trail to Stinking Springs is a 4.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ririe, Idaho that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 793 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Please note: This trail is closed from November 1st to May 1st. Stinking Springs Multiple Use Trail is a designated route for ATVs, hikers, mountain bikers and horseback riders. There is also a separate trail for foot traffic only that starts in the same area and ends up in the same area, but takes a different, lightly traveled route. Views of the Idaho Falls area and the Snake river on the way up. If you follow the trail all the way up, it will take you to the top of Kelly Peak. Most Eastern Idaho folks are familiar with Kelly Canyon Ski Resort, the Stinking Springs trail just goes up the other side of the mountain. The trail isn't difficult, but does have quite a bit of elevation gain. It is a great place for trail running.

Great trail, the way up is hard and steep, but it is an intermediate, definitely not for beginners like me, had to take many breaks and push the bike for a while... but... the way down was amazing! Totally worth the harder climb up!

I rode up with my dirtbike. It is a little steep for biking.

Definitely no trail access to stinky spring. they say there is one on the Mt somewhere... so bring water! it was hard on my black dog who scrounged for any shade she could find. All in all as a family we really enjoyed it and the views are beautiful. I would live to come back in the evening close to sunset.

Such a fun trail to mountain bike. Good work out on the way up and fun to cruise on the way down. Would definitely do this trail again!

Sat Jun 01 2019

I'm a bit out of shape and I thought the trail was 2.5 miles long so I really thought I was out of shape in the climb. Very fun downhill run with amazing views the whole way up and down.

Tue May 28 2019

This is a terrific mountain biking trail, in the spring/fall or evening/morning when it's cool. Great views of the valley. The grade (Sidewinder side) is not difficult. we did it last night successfully with young scouts on less than ideal bikes. The downhill is way fun even for novices if you return the same way; an adrenaline rush if you continue clockwise to the Stinking Springs downhill, which is wider, less curvy, and fast. Last year I tried to continue up the gravelly slope to the left of the junction but gave up after a bit.

Sat May 04 2019

10/10 recommend! I loved this trail. We it was about 9 miles all together but nothing to hard!

Thu Mar 28 2019

This trail is closed from November 1st to *sunrise* May 1st.

Tue Sep 04 2018

Just don’t go with a young child or with a cold

Tue Jul 03 2018

Nice, quick trail. You’re pretty much exposed to the sun the entire trail though. Great for summer evening rides and nice views

Sat Jun 23 2018

Great climb and fast down, overall great cardio!! Best part, no else around!!

Tue May 08 2018

Beautiful view, just thought there would be a spring, but nope!

Wed Sep 27 2017

Well marked and completely clear. Beautiful view of snake river. A great fall hike.

Sun Jul 23 2017

Watch for snakes. Friends of mine scared a good sized rattlesnake off the trail right at the bottom

Thu Jun 15 2017

its a good short hike with smaller kids but more for dirt bikes and four wheelers.

Thu Apr 27 2017

Good quick afternoon trail

Wed Apr 26 2017

Fun trail, saw some deer along the path. Little bit of snow up on the ground at the top. Fun yet will get your blood pumping a bit

Sun Sep 11 2016

This hike surprised me as the name left me thinking it would be dull. There are definitely better hikes but for those in the Rexburg/Idaho Falls area looking for a decent and challenging hike this is it. The first half of the hike is uphill (first in sage brush, and then in a beautiful grove of trees) to the top of Kelly Mountain about 5.5 miles in. There are great views of the Snake River plain. I would categorize it as moderate and there are some steep switch back sections as you climb out of the sage brush to the tree line. It is a multi-use trail but I only ran into one mountain biker and two hikers. I did not see any wildlife unless you count a small dog. I was surprisingly pleased with the sage brush, views of the snake river, and the beautiful grove of trees at the top. I would suggest making it an 11 miler and going all the way to the top of Kelly Mountain.

Fri Jul 29 2016

Nice trail for hiking and biking. I like that it isn't too crowded. It is windy for most of the ascent.

Sat Jun 11 2016

Fun, sandy, rocky, lots of twists and turns. lots of uphill but curvy and shady.

Sun Jun 05 2016

Fun, easy-ish hike with lots of different wild flowers! Fairly secluded if you take the non-motorized trail. I only saw a couple mountain bikers and horseback riders on a Sunday morning. The view is pretty good, but not amazing.

Sun May 15 2016

Good hike, close to home!

Sun Dec 13 2015

I love to ride this trail in the early spring as soon as it dries out. the wildflowers and wildlife on the top are very beautiful

Wed Sep 02 2015

View is decent. You see farmland, mountains and a river.

Sun Aug 23 2015

Not too far from Idaho Falls for those looking to get in some trail running. Takes me about 40 minutes to drive there. I make it up and back in just under 2 hours. I've never seen anyone else on the trail, but I'm usually on the trail very early in the morning.