Stevens Lakes

Stevens Lakes is a 4 mile out and back trail located near Mullan, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is my favorite quick getaway! We snowshoed in on New Years Day 2019. Had to park just south of the freeway bridge due to snow. Broke trail around 10:30. Both switch backs where lost in the snow so we we straight up. It was a good workout, but do-able. There was over 5.5 feet of snow at the lower lake and °14. Got back to the truck at 3:00. Awesome hike ♡

Did this trail at the end of December. There was a lot of snow and with about .3 miles left on the trail there was a steep narrow incline with a lot of snow that I just couldnt climb up so I called it for another time. That being said, the people who were snowshoeing were able to get across, with a little difficultly in that one spot but still made it farther than I did with snowboots and crampons (not really necessary). The trail is gorgeous. There were a few other people out on snowmobiles in other areas that you can hear nearby and I saw a few back country ski and snowboarders. It is a beautiful trail, just dress in warm, waterproof clothes. I will definitely go back to this trail again soon.

Great hike. moderate is a fair rating based on a regular hiker. Good elevation gain but short distance. Good payoff for moderate effort. Both lower and and upper seemed to have nice campsites. No snow as of 10/24. Noticed the time changed to Mountain on our phones between lower and upper. Bringing the fishing pole next year.

Moderate wouldn't be the best way to describe this hike. There is a lot of different terrain which keeps it fun but theres a large area of rocky terrain that can be challenging to walk up (even though there is a slight path created) especially after fast incline with shakey legs! it is beautiful but bring spikes just in case anytime after October as it can get icy on a very narrow trail just at the top. One of the most beautiful and serene hikes I've done. Dogs should be leashed ALWAYS but on this trail we saw some un leashed dogs and it could be very dangerous for even well behaved pups.

We backpacked in and camped at Upper Stevens Lake. Their were a couple very nice camping sites at both lakes. I would not consider myself an avid hiker and it was challenging but the moderate was accurate due to the short distance. I would highly recommend and on my top five places I've hiked.

This is a great trail. Easy directions to drive to the trailhead. Bathroom there. Plenty of parking. However...I would not consider it MODERATE. Any trail that you traverse a large rock shale slide should be hard. And should be mentioned. People hiking with dogs need to know this as well. There are also a lot of large root steps. I found this hike challenging and would definitely do it again but for my companion who does not hike a lot, it was not enjoyable. Beautiful lake at the top and gorgeous tamaracks in yellow right now.

Gorgeous views but you have to work for it! The fall colors are in full effect & we were surprised to be greeted by snow along certain sections of the trail.

The start of the trail is quite steep & definitely gets your heart pumping & calves burning. The scenery is beautiful & the lake at the end is worth the work. Certain parts of the trail weren't marked as well as others but there were several groups of hikers so we followed the footprints in the snow higher up.

Wonderful day hike!

Hiked to upper Stevens and stayed the night. The trail to the lake was well traveled and was a lot of fun to hike. The autumn colors were amazing, the mountains were red at the top and yellow and orange plants near the trail. The waterfall this time of year was barely a trickle, but it was still neat to see the large granite formations and crevasses where the waterfall was.

Camping at the lake was fun, but got below freezing and was very windy all night. We even had snow falling in the morning which was actually a treat. There are about four good camping spots at lower Stevens and a couple at upper.

I would recommend the hike for anyone who likes short hikes up hill and great mountain views.

Beautiful colors! Beautiful lakes!! You must go soon!!

I hiked to Upper Stevens Lake today. The autumn colors are here! Get up there, before they are gone!

Great hike. Lots of terrain change and scenery was unbelievably colorful. Reg. Repeat

Beautiful hike w the fall colors- lots of changing terrain keeps it interesting. Ate lunch at small sandy beach looking out over the lake. Loved this hike will definitely do it again.

Beautiful hike with epic waterfalls!

Slightly aggressive if you go off the main to save some time. Lower lake is clear and cold with nice views.

Great hike! I would say this is on the harder side of moderate. But worth the uphill climb.

what a beautiful hike! will definitely be going again...maybe when the weather is warmer so we can take a dip in the lake.

Very pretty lake and nice trail leading up to it, much of it near/along the creek. It is quite steep so it will definitely get the blood pumping. We didn’t spend much time exploring at the lake, but there were multiple camping spots that all looked pretty good right when you arrive. We saw some folks at the far end of the lower lake swimming and I think camping too. There were still a few pockets of snow nestled in some of surrounding peaks and this was early August. All in all, great hike to a cute little lake. We did this Sunday early afternoon and the trail was well traveled. We ran into at least 6 other parties + we could see others already at the lake.

Very steep trail, but well worth it. Will do again.

Don’t let the short distance fool you. This one’s a calf burner! Worth every calorie burned!

Great trail...a bit a a steep climb getting in but gorgeous all the way and a beautiful lake to swim in as your reward. Will definitely return!

Not the steepest trail I’ve ever done, but the way out is about 85% uphill. Most of the steepest parts are from about .25 to 1.25 miles into the hike. Saw multiple people hiking with their babies, so this clearly isn’t the hardest trail ever. Being pretty out of shape right now, though, the way out was pretty grueling for me.

The good news when you hit about the 1.25 mile mark is that the trail gets a lot less relentless from there (though there are a few steep spots the last third-mile before the lake; the bad news is that the trail markings almost disappear from about that point. I was convinced I was lost more than once as I eked my way through a meadow where the plants are growing over the trail, making it maybe a foot wide, crossed over some random logs in front of a waterfall, and hopped my way up a rock field. Once I reached the top of the rock field, the last third-mile of the trail was more straightforward.

The lake at the top is pretty cool, but I wouldn’t say it’s one of the top ten coolest things I’ve ever seen. I think I actually liked the uppermost waterfall more. There’s a very steep, narrow, treacherous little path down there that you can try if you want to be adventurous.

Hiked to the lower lake today. Great views and friendly people along the trail. Saw 5 groups in all, which at times took away from the secluded feel. Still well worth it. I loved the waterfalls and the path through the bushes before the log bridge is a stunning setting. We went left after the bridge, and it was a serious hike. My 10yo barely made it but powered through. The lake was well worth it. Pow. Best way to describe seeing it for the first time. The water is b-a-r-e-l-y melted from the snow across the lake, but we hopped in and splashed around a bit. Saw a bit of garbage evidence from less-than-courteous campers (pack it out people!). However, this does not take away from the raw beauty of the place. The views are completely enveloping. We will come back to explore the upper lake, the trails around the lake, and to spend the night.

Wow, this was one of the m most beautiful destinations I have hiked to in a very long time! Myself, a friend and my 7 yo daughter made it to both lakes! We saw a mouse swim across the lower lake whwhile we were eating lunch! The upper lake was by far our favorite and we even got in for a quick and very brisk swim. Had hoped to make it to the peak, but a late start (hit trailhead at noon) made that goal for another day. Cant describe the beauty. Well worth the effort, and it required some effort. At the waterfall, we opted for the "left" trail (steps but quicker) and yep, it was steep Next time, we will head up through the rock field. Great day indeed!

Awesome hike. Be warned, it’s all up hill so have plenty of water. Also wear good shoes for traction. Once you cross the river you can either veer right and take the switchback up to the lower lake or go straight. Going straight means you’re humping it up a steep hill. Going right means you’re adding about a half a mile to your hike but it’s not a steep hill. So you can decide based on how much gas is in your tank and who you’re trying to impress when you get to that spot. We had 2 lazy 13 year olds with us and they survived and also wife’s rescue chihuahua dog thing. Everyone did well so bring the family. I suggest being in decent shape though. The incline can wear on you especially if it’s hot out. Thought I was going to have to do cpr on a dude my age...late 40s/early 50s and he was only about 1/3rd of the way there. Fortunately I had wife’s chihuahua rescue dog thing if he needed mouth to mouth.

It's very steep to get up but super worth it.

Beautiful hike and has some major inclines throughout the hike. Worth it if you’ve never been.

Steeper than anticipated but beautiful trail. Second half of the trail after the creek crossing is the steepest.

Pretty hike, fairly challenging with the steep second half of the trail. My phone said it was 5.1 miles from the parking lot and back to just the lower lake. You cross a fast moving part of the stream at the base of a waterfall at one point crossing over on a wet log, so I wouldn’t recommend the trail for children. Also, fairly crowded trail with several campers including some young partying kids.

This is a fun hike - the last 1/2 mile is really steep! Water is clear and really refreshing. Haven't hiked it yet this season so not sure of the snow coverage for today. It's out and back for sure and doesn't take that long.

Spent 4 days and 3 nights on the lower lake(6/21-6/24). The trail is clear, with only patchy snow to the upper lake.