Stevens Lakes

Stevens Lakes is a 4 mile out and back trail located near Mullan, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Last Saturday (11/18) a few friends and I️ headed to the Stevens Lakes trailhead in the Subaru. Lucky for us we were able to park at the trailhead. The snow was deep and fresh with powder. We snapped on our snowshoes and hit the trail. There was no one else up there and we set fresh tracks. Beyond taking a wrong turn (or not turning at all) at a few points we were able to make it to the lake just fine. At one point we decided to head straight up the mountain rather than scout around for the actual trail as it was no where to be seen and we were losing time fast. At the lake it was cold and windy, but the way up and down was mild and easy to hike without a jacket. Definitely worth checking out for your winter snowshoeing. Just make sure to have your GPS if you don’t already know the trail.

today is 11/21/17. we did this trail about a week ago. with only front wheel drive, and no snow tires on yet, my car made it about 1 mile from the trailhead before the snow/slush became too much. we parked and walked the rest of the way. the trail was covered in 4-6in of powder the entire way up. we've done the trail before, but also relied on others' footprints in the snow to navigate. it was steep and slick. i was grateful to have decent traction on my shoes and trekking poles. even so we each slipped at least once. crossing the little stream proved challenging. i think it took us abut 2 hours to get up to the lake, and around an hour to make it back down to the car. the lake was beautiful as ever, and well worth the effort, but i don't think this trail is safe for beginners in the winter.

This hike is in my backyard and it's a fairly short drive to the trailhead. I did this again the other day for the 4th time this year. Great hike!

Here's some summer drone footage when it was smoky to get a better idea of the lakes:

Or just search in YouTube my channel name - DanGoodLife and you can find the video. Like and subscribe if you'd like!

hike to lower Stevens Lake September 23rd 2017. beautiful hike lots of different terrain along the way. Trail starts on an old road, then goes into shady switchbacks following a creek most of the way. There are two areas of rock slides where you really need to watch your footing. Hiking boots recommended. You might see the cute little pikas in the rocks. The trail is a steady uphill climb but the lake at the top is worth the climb! we had the whole lake to ourselves! There was a tiny bit of snow on the trail as you head into the lake. And a dusting of snow on the mountain side with fall colors showing through. The lake was beautiful, clean and clear.

Views were great. Lots of steep switchbacks but well worth it. Trail in good condition. No snow

JoRayne and I reached the upper lake where we were greeted by 10" of snow that was slowly melting with the above freezing temp. We headed West, through the brush, and up the snow covered West slope (18-24") to the ridge line North of the peak. Crampons were necessary and the ice axe was beneficial.

The temps were well below freezing with the gusting wind. Great views as the clouds closed over the peak and rim and even more impressive how swiftly they withdrew during the 30 minutes we were on the ridge. Reaching the peak from our location in these weather conditions wasn't safe with the gear we had in our possession so we scoped out some alternate routes and will return another day to see the sights from the very top.

Absolutely stunning view at the end. Read reviews ahead and came in expecting a steep hike, and boy was it ever. Definitely worth the work though. Take a snack to enjoy looking over the lake!

Hiked up for an overnighter with some friends. Beautiful! Day tripped up to Stevens Peak in the morning. Quite a steep, roundabout hike but the views were incredible. Love this area!

Pretty steep trail, but well worth the climb.

This was my third trip to Steven's, and again it didn't dissapoint. However, it was the first time I had backpacked in and stayed overnight. We went on a Wednesday and had the lakes to ourselves. Other than the thick smoke from the wildfires, it was a great stay.

Check out my Youtube video for aerial footage of the lakes and the peak! This was all shot using a drone. Leave a thumbs up if you enjoyed! https://youtu.be/yraAW8G70fM

Rando peu fréquentée ce 27 août, commence par un chemin, puis un sentier et cela monte raide pendant 40mn, plat sur 10mn et à nouveau pente raide, passage dans un pierrier. Mais la récompense est au bout, ce lac est superbe.

This hike was amazing. All of the directions and maps are very accurate. We love hikes where you follow a river or creek to your destination, it makes the hike so peaceful and even more enjoyable. I loved reaching the lower lake, it is so beautiful and quiet, even though we had a group of college girls come running out of the trees screaming because they had reached the lake. We also continued on to the upper lake, which was a bit difficult for us to find the true trail, we kept finding trails that led us into marsh land, but we eventually found the trail. It was probably 7 miles total and it took us just under 5 hours.

was a super fun hike kids, wife and I loved it

Fantastic

awesomeee

There is a beautiful lake at the end of the trail. The hike is pretty steep in some areas and you may end up crossing a few rocky areas. Wear hiking boots! I blew my boots out on the hike down due to such a steep decline, I was due for new ones anyway.There is a small waterfall along the way too. I would not recommend this hike for children under 12. Bring water!
I've hiked it twice, it takes about 4 hours roundtrip. It is a bit crowded depending on the day, the month and the weather. Not many places to camp overnight along the lake. Absolutely gorgeous mountains surrounding the lower lake. The lake was cold in August and the beach is rocky. I'll go again, I love this hike!

This is a tough hike going up, pack light, bring plenty of water, and be ready for some steep vertical hiking. The lakes at the top are beautiful, a tad bit cold but refreshing. We did see a bunch of fish jumping, I wish I had packed my fly pole up. Coming down was much easier, a bit steep in spots and loose rock made caused me to slide a few times. Overall a great hike, I'll do it again but I'll pack a tent and sleep at the top at one of the camping spots.

I love to backpack overnight at one of the spots by either upper or Lower Stevens Lakes. The upper lake sits in a beautiful natural cirque that gives gorgeous views in the mornings. The lakes are true Alpine Lakes, but can warm up a bit in late summer. The trail is moderate difficulty, however it does include some rocky sections, and some sections that with a full backpack load, can be a bit strenuous to ascend. Bring water in warm weather, and something to purify lake water, but expect heavy snow cover much of winter and early spring.

great fishing in upper, no real size but it's a mountain lake.

My boys (11 & 9) and I just spent 3 days and 2 nights at the upper lake. Awesome time! We fished and caught a whole mess of little brookies. And swam in both lakes! We hiked up to the snow fields and would have gone to the ridge but the boys were happy just playing in the snow. I give it 4 stars because of the lack of trail up to the ridge. There is a bit of a trail to get through the thick undergrowth but it is so over grown this time of year it was still quite challenging. Beyond that, there are a number of "trails" that disappear after a time. Not a big deal, but hiking the ridges is something people do often so developing a trail more completely seems like a good idea.