Stevens Lakes

Stevens Lakes is a 4 mile out and back trail located near Mullan, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Not the steepest trail I’ve ever done, but the way out is about 85% uphill. Most of the steepest parts are from about .25 to 1.25 miles into the hike. Saw multiple people hiking with their babies, so this clearly isn’t the hardest trail ever. Being pretty out of shape right now, though, the way out was pretty grueling for me.

The good news when you hit about the 1.25 mile mark is that the trail gets a lot less relentless from there (though there are a few steep spots the last third-mile before the lake; the bad news is that the trail markings almost disappear from about that point. I was convinced I was lost more than once as I eked my way through a meadow where the plants are growing over the trail, making it maybe a foot wide, crossed over some random logs in front of a waterfall, and hopped my way up a rock field. Once I reached the top of the rock field, the last third-mile of the trail was more straightforward.

The lake at the top is pretty cool, but I wouldn’t say it’s one of the top ten coolest things I’ve ever seen. I think I actually liked the uppermost waterfall more. There’s a very steep, narrow, treacherous little path down there that you can try if you want to be adventurous.

Hiked to the lower lake today. Great views and friendly people along the trail. Saw 5 groups in all, which at times took away from the secluded feel. Still well worth it. I loved the waterfalls and the path through the bushes before the log bridge is a stunning setting. We went left after the bridge, and it was a serious hike. My 10yo barely made it but powered through. The lake was well worth it. Pow. Best way to describe seeing it for the first time. The water is b-a-r-e-l-y melted from the snow across the lake, but we hopped in and splashed around a bit. Saw a bit of garbage evidence from less-than-courteous campers (pack it out people!). However, this does not take away from the raw beauty of the place. The views are completely enveloping. We will come back to explore the upper lake, the trails around the lake, and to spend the night.

Wow, this was one of the m most beautiful destinations I have hiked to in a very long time! Myself, a friend and my 7 yo daughter made it to both lakes! We saw a mouse swim across the lower lake whwhile we were eating lunch! The upper lake was by far our favorite and we even got in for a quick and very brisk swim. Had hoped to make it to the peak, but a late start (hit trailhead at noon) made that goal for another day. Cant describe the beauty. Well worth the effort, and it required some effort. At the waterfall, we opted for the "left" trail (steps but quicker) and yep, it was steep Next time, we will head up through the rock field. Great day indeed!

Awesome hike. Be warned, it’s all up hill so have plenty of water. Also wear good shoes for traction. Once you cross the river you can either veer right and take the switchback up to the lower lake or go straight. Going straight means you’re humping it up a steep hill. Going right means you’re adding about a half a mile to your hike but it’s not a steep hill. So you can decide based on how much gas is in your tank and who you’re trying to impress when you get to that spot. We had 2 lazy 13 year olds with us and they survived and also wife’s rescue chihuahua dog thing. Everyone did well so bring the family. I suggest being in decent shape though. The incline can wear on you especially if it’s hot out. Thought I was going to have to do cpr on a dude my age...late 40s/early 50s and he was only about 1/3rd of the way there. Fortunately I had wife’s chihuahua rescue dog thing if he needed mouth to mouth.

It's very steep to get up but super worth it.

Beautiful hike and has some major inclines throughout the hike. Worth it if you’ve never been.

Steeper than anticipated but beautiful trail. Second half of the trail after the creek crossing is the steepest.

Pretty hike, fairly challenging with the steep second half of the trail. My phone said it was 5.1 miles from the parking lot and back to just the lower lake. You cross a fast moving part of the stream at the base of a waterfall at one point crossing over on a wet log, so I wouldn’t recommend the trail for children. Also, fairly crowded trail with several campers including some young partying kids.

This is a fun hike - the last 1/2 mile is really steep! Water is clear and really refreshing. Haven't hiked it yet this season so not sure of the snow coverage for today. It's out and back for sure and doesn't take that long.

Spent 4 days and 3 nights on the lower lake(6/21-6/24). The trail is clear, with only patchy snow to the upper lake.

As of yesterday (June 9) snow is clear (pretty much, just teensy patches to get around) and lake is melted. Gorgeous spring colors on the hills! Come on up!

Great place! went backpacking from June 15-16th. still some patchy snow but beautiful views! the upper Steven's lake has some ice/slush on it. Beautiful place!

June 13th, 2018 - Hiked to the lower lake, trail was in good shape and clear of snow. Waterfall was flowing great and stream crossing was easy. At the lower lake we cut off about halfway around and bushwhacked/scrambled to the ridge. Followed the ridge to Stevens peak which still had a large cornice and snowfield below. Could have stayed to the rocks but decided to put the crampons and axe to use. Spent some time at the summit in the sun and then descended into Upper Stevens lake by way of a large avalanche field below the summit. Trail from upper lake to lower still almost completely covered in snow but doable. Great day and awesome hike!

Just did this hike on June 9th/18, Little bite of snow last little bit of hike. Beautiful lake. Headed up to upper lake ,but still to much snow to find an actual trail. Ended up heading up onto ridge between this and Lone lake. Easy up to ridge over looking both lakes, but a little more tricky decent into Lone lake, more because of the weather and wetness. No trail but signs of others doing same loop hike. Got down into basin above Lone lake and tight trees to get through to the lake. Nice to do a loop, easy to find but no real loop trail so be ready for your own route.
5hr s to do loop with lots of stops and breaks.

Gorgeous. Have done this many times. Friends did s day hike 5/27/18 and lakes are still frozen! Checking again 7/7/18 and 7/13/18!

5/5/18 Steep hike but beautiful views! Trail is still mostly covered in snow but discernible overall. We were able to make it to the clearing before the big waterfall with our dog but turned around there as the snow was several feet deep. Definitely recommend gaiters and snow shoes to make it to the lower lake right now.

Last Saturday (11/18) a few friends and I️ headed to the Stevens Lakes trailhead in the Subaru. Lucky for us we were able to park at the trailhead. The snow was deep and fresh with powder. We snapped on our snowshoes and hit the trail. There was no one else up there and we set fresh tracks. Beyond taking a wrong turn (or not turning at all) at a few points we were able to make it to the lake just fine. At one point we decided to head straight up the mountain rather than scout around for the actual trail as it was no where to be seen and we were losing time fast. At the lake it was cold and windy, but the way up and down was mild and easy to hike without a jacket. Definitely worth checking out for your winter snowshoeing. Just make sure to have your GPS if you don’t already know the trail.

today is 11/21/17. we did this trail about a week ago. with only front wheel drive, and no snow tires on yet, my car made it about 1 mile from the trailhead before the snow/slush became too much. we parked and walked the rest of the way. the trail was covered in 4-6in of powder the entire way up. we've done the trail before, but also relied on others' footprints in the snow to navigate. it was steep and slick. i was grateful to have decent traction on my shoes and trekking poles. even so we each slipped at least once. crossing the little stream proved challenging. i think it took us abut 2 hours to get up to the lake, and around an hour to make it back down to the car. the lake was beautiful as ever, and well worth the effort, but i don't think this trail is safe for beginners in the winter.

This hike is in my backyard and it's a fairly short drive to the trailhead. I did this again the other day for the 4th time this year. Great hike!

Here's some summer drone footage when it was smoky to get a better idea of the lakes:

Or just search in YouTube my channel name - DanGoodLife and you can find the video. Like and subscribe if you'd like!

hike to lower Stevens Lake September 23rd 2017. beautiful hike lots of different terrain along the way. Trail starts on an old road, then goes into shady switchbacks following a creek most of the way. There are two areas of rock slides where you really need to watch your footing. Hiking boots recommended. You might see the cute little pikas in the rocks. The trail is a steady uphill climb but the lake at the top is worth the climb! we had the whole lake to ourselves! There was a tiny bit of snow on the trail as you head into the lake. And a dusting of snow on the mountain side with fall colors showing through. The lake was beautiful, clean and clear.

Views were great. Lots of steep switchbacks but well worth it. Trail in good condition. No snow

JoRayne and I reached the upper lake where we were greeted by 10" of snow that was slowly melting with the above freezing temp. We headed West, through the brush, and up the snow covered West slope (18-24") to the ridge line North of the peak. Crampons were necessary and the ice axe was beneficial.

The temps were well below freezing with the gusting wind. Great views as the clouds closed over the peak and rim and even more impressive how swiftly they withdrew during the 30 minutes we were on the ridge. Reaching the peak from our location in these weather conditions wasn't safe with the gear we had in our possession so we scoped out some alternate routes and will return another day to see the sights from the very top.

Absolutely stunning view at the end. Read reviews ahead and came in expecting a steep hike, and boy was it ever. Definitely worth the work though. Take a snack to enjoy looking over the lake!

Hiked up for an overnighter with some friends. Beautiful! Day tripped up to Stevens Peak in the morning. Quite a steep, roundabout hike but the views were incredible. Love this area!

Pretty steep trail, but well worth the climb.

This was my third trip to Steven's, and again it didn't dissapoint. However, it was the first time I had backpacked in and stayed overnight. We went on a Wednesday and had the lakes to ourselves. Other than the thick smoke from the wildfires, it was a great stay.

Check out my Youtube video for aerial footage of the lakes and the peak! This was all shot using a drone. Leave a thumbs up if you enjoyed! https://youtu.be/yraAW8G70fM

Rando peu fréquentée ce 27 août, commence par un chemin, puis un sentier et cela monte raide pendant 40mn, plat sur 10mn et à nouveau pente raide, passage dans un pierrier. Mais la récompense est au bout, ce lac est superbe.

This hike was amazing. All of the directions and maps are very accurate. We love hikes where you follow a river or creek to your destination, it makes the hike so peaceful and even more enjoyable. I loved reaching the lower lake, it is so beautiful and quiet, even though we had a group of college girls come running out of the trees screaming because they had reached the lake. We also continued on to the upper lake, which was a bit difficult for us to find the true trail, we kept finding trails that led us into marsh land, but we eventually found the trail. It was probably 7 miles total and it took us just under 5 hours.

was a super fun hike kids, wife and I loved it

Fantastic