Stevens Lakes

Stevens Lakes is a 4 mile out and back trail located near Mullan, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and fly fishing and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

awesomeee

There is a beautiful lake at the end of the trail. The hike is pretty steep in some areas and you may end up crossing a few rocky areas. Wear hiking boots! I blew my boots out on the hike down due to such a steep decline, I was due for new ones anyway.There is a small waterfall along the way too. I would not recommend this hike for children under 12. Bring water!
I've hiked it twice, it takes about 4 hours roundtrip. It is a bit crowded depending on the day, the month and the weather. Not many places to camp overnight along the lake. Absolutely gorgeous mountains surrounding the lower lake. The lake was cold in August and the beach is rocky. I'll go again, I love this hike!

This is a tough hike going up, pack light, bring plenty of water, and be ready for some steep vertical hiking. The lakes at the top are beautiful, a tad bit cold but refreshing. We did see a bunch of fish jumping, I wish I had packed my fly pole up. Coming down was much easier, a bit steep in spots and loose rock made caused me to slide a few times. Overall a great hike, I'll do it again but I'll pack a tent and sleep at the top at one of the camping spots.

I love to backpack overnight at one of the spots by either upper or Lower Stevens Lakes. The upper lake sits in a beautiful natural cirque that gives gorgeous views in the mornings. The lakes are true Alpine Lakes, but can warm up a bit in late summer. The trail is moderate difficulty, however it does include some rocky sections, and some sections that with a full backpack load, can be a bit strenuous to ascend. Bring water in warm weather, and something to purify lake water, but expect heavy snow cover much of winter and early spring.

great fishing in upper, no real size but it's a mountain lake.

My boys (11 & 9) and I just spent 3 days and 2 nights at the upper lake. Awesome time! We fished and caught a whole mess of little brookies. And swam in both lakes! We hiked up to the snow fields and would have gone to the ridge but the boys were happy just playing in the snow. I give it 4 stars because of the lack of trail up to the ridge. There is a bit of a trail to get through the thick undergrowth but it is so over grown this time of year it was still quite challenging. Beyond that, there are a number of "trails" that disappear after a time. Not a big deal, but hiking the ridges is something people do often so developing a trail more completely seems like a good idea.

A nice jaunt to the lower lake; arrived in an hour. The upper is another ~25 mins.

The trail is steep in sections and is covered with loose rock. A typical hike in this neck of the woods. Hot today and plenty of folks on the move but an enjoyable 4 hours away from Spokane.

the trail was quite populated and rather rough in spots. With quite a few unfortunate shortcuts cut into the landscape but a wonderful hike and would do it again. it was a rather rigorous uphill hike but totally worth it

Great hike. Wild flowers were in full bloom and in great abundance. We made the trip to the upper lake and even jumped in. Highly recommended!

Short and steep. More people than I expected. Best wild flowers I've seen on a hike. It was very windy at the lake, so much so that we didn't want to swim.

Trail had a few steep sections and was at times confusing near the end with many spur paths and no signage. Excellent scenery and overall a very pleasant hike.

Steep for such a short hike. Once to the lake, continue to the right and follow along the water to get to the trail to the upper lake. Brought my 2 year old golden retriever who loves jumping into the water after the continuous uphill climb.

Had no bug issues, but also sprayed before starting the trail :)

Amazing family hike. The climb is pretty steep and at 1 mile into it the trail levels out for a quarter mile. Cross the creek and zig zag through the rock slide. The lakes at the end remind me of Glacier park or Cascades. Great place to have a lunch before heading back down. Took us 1 hour 20 minutes each way. Trail is marked well.

Stunning view!