Stanley Hot Springs is a 9.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kooskia, Idaho that features hot springs and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,971 feet Route Type: Out & Back

hot springs

bridge out

Great hike. This was the first AllTrails hike I have done. I was hoping to get to the hotsprings, but could not get past the creek with the spring runoff. Maybe others know a spot to cross at this time of year? Most the uphill is in the first mile. Once you get past that it's not so bad. Im not in any crazy good shape but wanted to see how fast I could get to the crossing at a moderate / fast hike. Took 1 hour 41 minutes. I gave it a 4 star considering I couldn't make it to the hotsprings.

icy

03/17 - Road up to trail snowy, add about a mile round trip if you don’t have a lifted 4x4. We parked out by the turn off and walked to the trailhead, most of the trail is covered in snow. Didn’t need snowshoes but had the occasional post hole. River crossing was manageable but as more snow melts will get more difficult. Had a great time!

I need to make this an annual trek. Love this place.

As only a moderately experienced hiker this was exactly as described - hard. But let me tell you, if you can make it through the mostly uphill climb for 4.8 miles with some long stretches providing no shade — you will be so glad you did! On a Saturday in the afternoon in late August there were only about ten of us at the hot springs. There are a couple of very hot pools but then there’s one that has the trickle of cold water coming in. When we got there the cold water stream had been dammed up, but we opened the cool water stream and it was perfect after that (we closed it off again before leaving). There are some loose soil areas along the trail with steep drop offs in some areas of the trail, and you do have to cross the creek either by balancing on rocks or taking off your shoes and wading through. I tried it one way on the way up, and the other on the way back. It took about 2.75 hours on the way up at a fairly comfortable speed and effort for a moderately experienced hiker. The way down took just 2 hours. Horses are allowed on the trail and we did see some people with them. **there is a hornets nest just past the sign that splits the trail off to the right to get to the hot springs. It’s right by your ankles on the left. We didn’t get stung but it seemed everyone else that horses or dogs with them had someone in their party stung**

Great hike, got distracted by all the thimble berries and strawberries that line the entire trail. Creek is a bit treacherous, be ready to get your feet wet. Hot springs were full of silt and algae and I spent much of my time cleaning out as much as possible, but hot and relaxing. Has a slew of campsites at the springs so it was easy to find a spot. Almost took the wrong trail a few times and ran into a group that had. It was nice to have the trail gps to point me in the right direction.

This trail is wonderful! The hot springs are perfect and even though I went on a summer weekend, it was not as crowded as I expected (perhaps a stroke of luck). The first mile or so is the most challenging part of the hike, while the remainder is fairly steady and easy; the difficult rating is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. Finding the trailhead was perhaps the most difficult part. It is down the hill from the parking lot on the opposite side of the road. The AllTrails start point is helpful for finding it. Several other hikers mentioned that they had trouble finding the correct trail to get to the springs, but I had no difficulty. Simply follow the trail for roughly four miles or so until you come across a sign at a fork which does not include a label for the springs. Take a right to go downhill towards the river and ford it, then continue on the trail for another half mile or less and you’re there. The campsites are excellent and plentiful, plus the river is right nearby, so getting water was easy. Each site also has a fire pit. The springs are gorgeous, well-built, and the perfect temperature. I wish I could have stayed longer. Having hiked in early July, there were only a few spots with huckleberries and wild strawberries, but they both grow along the trail, so keep your eyes peeled if you hike later in the season! Overall, a quick and fairly easygoing hike with a great payoff. Enjoy!

Thu May 16 2019

Hike is snow free and gorgeous but could not find a place to ford the river.

Sun Mar 31 2019

This hike was pretty rough, I came in October before and loved it but this time it was much different. The trail still has snow on it and in some sections, the snow is hip deep, I'm 5' 11" for reference. The river is just at the cusp of being impossible to cross without getting soaked, the snow made it very difficult to find the rocks to hop too. The trail is still very beautiful, the hot springs hot, but I would bring snowshoes next time and a waiter to cross the river.

Sat Mar 23 2019

fun trail

Sun Jan 20 2019

back down

Sat Jan 19 2019

Sat Jan 12 2019

Awesome trail, hiked in the snow but as of right now it's well packed and easy walking. The creek crossing has a kind of sketchy looking ice bridge but it felt pretty solid walking across. Definitely more like 11 miles out and back, not 9.3. The hot springs themselves are amazing, with one shallow but big, clean and hot pool to soak in and a few others that might be good sometimes but were pretty slimy when we were there. It's also relatively flat and open so I'm sure it would make for great camping in the summer. These are our new favorite natural hot springs for sure.

Mon Sep 17 2018

Went up with a group of 9, the most strenuous part of the trail is definitely the first two miles but it evens out pretty nicely the rest of the way. The trail varies from nice cool tree cover to hot, dry, and rocky. We went up around early afternoon and it got hot quick. The river was pretty low and not very treacherous to cross, there where plenty of rocks to walk over, but you should be careful anyways because nobody wants a whet pack. The camp site was nice, lots of large logs to push around to make benches. The hot springs themselves where clean, they have a scoop to dispose of the algae if it builds up. Overall it was a really nice hike, the weather was great and the pools felt great!

Tue Sep 04 2018

Fun easy-to-moderate hike in with beautiful views. River was low enough to cross easily. Nice to relax in the hot springs!

Fri Jun 15 2018

Spent 2 nights June 11-13. Trail was muddy but passable. The creek was raging and would be very difficult to cross for most hikers. We crossed in hair-raising fashion, balancing on logs. The pools were a little grimy but 102-ish degrees and wonderful after a day’s hike. The creek is right nearby, as are small rivulets for water consumption. We day-hiked from the hot springs up toward the lakes, but halfway up the snow was still very deep, though it was packed enough to walk on. Very enjoyable camping location!

Fri Apr 13 2018

very cool

Mon Aug 21 2017

No where near elk city. So don't be confused. The trail was moderate, some steep places not for the light of heart it's a little over 5 miles each way. It was a good day trip took 6 hours with a hour or so at the hot spring. We went early and it was warm coming back but sooo beautiful. Light traffic looked like quiet a few people had gone in camping over the weekend. Soo beautiful. Worth the Hike!

Mon Jul 31 2017

Not a hard hike. Lots of exposure so I wouldn't recommend doing it in the heat of the day. The hot springs are beautiful and worth it!

Mon Jun 05 2017

Great hike and wonderful hot springs! Spring 2017 June 3rd river crossing is partially washed out, but we crossed by very carefully stepping into the river and holding onto logs. I uploaded a picture of the washed out part of the crossing so you can get a sense of what it looks like. Some people we met at the crossing had dogs and didn't cross due to concerns about getting them over/back. Additionally, a couple we passed on the way out to the trailhead was going to add a rope to the crossing to improve it. Don't know if they were successful, or if there are official plans for improving the river crossing. We were able to make it, but cross at your own risk until it is improved. Don't want to scare anyone away, it's worth it!

Wed Dec 28 2016

Amazing and treasured piece of the Earth.

Thu Sep 29 2016

The hike up to the hot springs was difficult but well worth it. The scenery and the views are awe inspiring and the hot springs are amazing and well worth the long trek uphill.

Thu Aug 22 2013

We sat in the middle spring at night and a moose came down to the lower spring and drank water. It was awesome. My friend what should we do? I am naked! Not running from a moose in the dark naked....we all became one with nature and sat quietly until she walked away.

Tue Apr 09 2013

There is a river of death to get to it a couple of college kids not knowing what they were doing came in with cotton clothes couldn't get a fire started and lost a sleeping bag in the river of death. Got rain and snow and hail and every once in a while a spot of sun. good hike but if ur inexperienced i'ld go with someone that knows what they are doing. The hot springs are amazing and make it worth crossing the river of death.