Learn more

Stack Rock Trail is a 8.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Boise, Idaho that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, bird watching, and horses and is best used from April until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,414 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Best hike closest to Boise. If you have the capability and have rock climbing experience, I would highly recommend climbing to the top for some serious beautiful views.

A great trail to spend half of the day on. Took my dog and kids ranging ages 10-16. The youngest doesn’t like going up hill but once we got to the top everyone was happy. We started off of bogus basin road and ended up going 9 miles. We saw tons of other hikers and a few mtbs. Everyone was considerate. We went on a warm afternoon but had no issues as it is shaded almost the entire hike, there’s maybe a 15-20min stretch without shade. Our hike took us just over 3hrs moving. We spent about 45min at stack rock enjoying the views, having a snack, and climbing some rocks.

Was actually surprised how much shade there was, little water streams for your dog to grab some water, super colorful out.

Gorgeous! Wildflowers were amazing. New trail is superb. Trail conditions were great. New upper parking lot trailhead is fabulous. This has always been a favorite and it has only improved.

Beautiful views and a trail that will definitely challenge you. I parked in the upper parking lot a little further up the road and that added a little over a mile to my hike. Definitely worth it. I would NOT recommend this to beginning hikers. I will definitely be back on this trail again.

I didn't have enough time to do the whole hike but did 4miles and it was lovely. lots of shade and wasn't to heavily trafficked. Tons of butterflies and wildflowers

Great quality trail with good shade and beautiful views as you start, but can't see much during the bulk of the walk. It's also hard to see the gorgeous view once you actually get to Stack Rock if you're scared of climbing like myself. Also very steep for awhile right as you get close to Stack Rock and then again to get back to the car, while some parts are pretty much flat. I get the moderate ranking, but for hikers that aren't as experienced it can just take a bit longer to do with some needed stops for breath. Regardless, a beautiful way to spend the morning. We started at 8:30am and didn't see anyone for our first hour. By the time it was 10am, we were seeing groups of people every couple of minutes. Took us 3 hours 15 minutes for there and back, plus about 10 minutes to stop at Stack Rock.

Great little hike. Not too crowded but enough people to give you some interaction on the way. If you park two parking lots below the main trailhead you get an extra mile of awesome trail. Agreed with others that the mountain bikers are a pain. Not enough room in many spots to move over for them.

Amazing views and a humbling rock pile reward at the end of the hike! Saw a few neat birds, mostly Peregrine Falcons. The hike it’s self is ultimately moderate due to the steepness in some areas, but the trail is easy and it great condition. However, my partner brought me to this hike without me know the extent of it and I wasn’t fully prepared shoe wise! It’s an 8.2 mile hike round trip so make sure you are dressed comfortably with good hiking shoes!

About 9 miles, almost 1500 ft coming back up. Great hike, lots of shade!

Finally hiked the entire trail and took a long way on accident. I wasn’t completely prepared but it was great! The only complaint I have is the mountain bikers hauling ass and no announcing themselves. I’m glad I didn’t have my toddler with me because I don’t think I could have got us both out of the way as fast as I had to SEVERAL times to avoid being hit, hard.

Nice shady hike that's long but not steep. some areas of incline with the biggest one before the top. Was at least 9 miles rather than 8 from lower parking lot. Start around 830 and only saw two people on way up. Saw several more groups on way out. There are some scenic views along the way but mostly forest. I did not give it five stars because I was very disappointed when I arrived to Stack Rock that I could not see the views without climbing the bolders and they were too steep for my dogs to come up with me. If I had known that beforehand hand it would have been good but did not see this mentioned in the reviews. So if you are hiking solo with dogs just be prepared you may not be able to get the views at the top. I spent at least ten minutes walking around it trying to find a good spot but would have had to leave my dogs alone. We did find a little off shoot trail on way back that went over toward the edge of tree line enough to get some views so that was a plus!

What a beautiful hike!! The views, wild flowers, few little streams of water for my dog to get a drink on the way up. We parked off the road and took the trailhead by the bathrooms. There and back was almost 11 miles. Loved that parts of the trail were shaded!

Would recommend this trail to anyone

It was pretty dope. Big ass rock at the end

It was shaded for the most part except for a little stretch where the path widened out. Wasn’t too busy when we went but there still was the occasional hiker we passed on the way out. We went left at the last fork in the trail before the rock which was probably the hardest part of the trail where it was just an uphill slope for about a mile stretch compared to the rest of the trail being relatively flat. Overall a beautiful hike with a clear path and shaded trail

Great trail! Most people keep their dogs on leash or controlled. It was such a great hike. It was 10 miles from the trailhead with beautiful views and shade. I started my recording late. My friend tracked it and it came to 10 miles there and back. There is some rain drainage which was great for our dogs to lay in and cool off. Mostly shaded, but some parts are open.

we went yesterday and it was beautiful! did about 11mils. we went to the top where the gate is. if you want the 8mile route, it's the little marker to the left of the road that everyone is parking at. Freddies Trail. which is what you want to stay on to get to stacked rock. be warned, there is about 3/4-1mile uphill hike at the end. the trail is nice and clear. pretty hike too. lots of greenery and little streams. also lots of people. which doesn't bother us. when you get to the fork and both are Freddies, left is shorter, right I guess makes the loop down around the rock. you have to hike up and adds a mile. we went left. this is an easy-moderate hike for the most part if you start at the road. the last mile to the rock is the hardest. it's a pretty steep climb.

Really pretty and fairly flat hike. Some decent uphills at times, but overall mild. End point at Stack Rock is really great for a halfway point lunch. Fairly crowded on the trail, but not overtly so Nice and warm (Mid 50s to low 60s)

4 miles in and 4 miles out. Fairly easy trail. A lot of dogs, family’s and the occasional mountain biker. After you see the memorial and turn right, the next fork in the road I recommend going left because right is an additional mile longer.

Fun trail in pretty good condition, excellent views, nothing negative in my opinion. Done with 35 lb pack

Great trail, good elevation. Was an overcast day so not to hot. If you go in the late afternoon and it’s warm prepare to bake a little. Several bikes on the trail, be cautious because they are not always. As of today 5/17/20 the main parking area and bathrooms are not open.

Great trail! We loved the views and the trail was in good condition, nice shade for a lot of the hike. We started fairly early, saw a lot of people on the way out-busy trail, great hike though.

Very clean and dry already. Tried to do around the mountain trail but too much snow still.

Lots of shade earlier in the day except for the road section. Tons of people on the trail today, so go early if you want to avoid crowds.

Too many people

An absolutely gorgeous hike to take! With stopping for a quick snack and enjoying the location once you get to the top, it’s about a 4hr 15min hike. Lots of shade and sunny areas and you really feel like you’ve gotten away from everything! Highly recommend.

just wrapped up 6.5hrs on the trail. We saw lots of friendly ppl, but the trail was, definitely not crowded at all. (I can see a weekend day being crowded) conditions were perfect and the trails were clear and well maintained. there was very-very little ice, mainly off trail and no slush or mud. there was plenty of parking; the second lot only had one car. If you’ve never hit this trail, do not park at the gate that says “Stack Rock Trailhead”. Park 50 yrds before that were all the other cars are parked on the opposite side of BB road. ps- why 6.5hrs when everyone else say 4? I took my 3 kids (9,8,8) for their first time. ppl are saying it’s not for kids - maybe. mine are wiped out hahaha!