Stack Rock Trail

Stack Rock Trail is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Boise, Idaho that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

It’s nice trail, not too long, not too short, and easy to follow. The middle part of trail has small elevation which is perfect to combine hiking and running. If you go back the same way in, it will be around 8 miles total, but if you decide to take different path back as a loop, then it will be 11 miles and up, there are many paths ranched out from this trail.

Half day hike that consists of service roads & clean trails. Great mountain biking trails also.

Excellent hike and great scenery. The trail is well kept, well marked, and clean. The mountain bikers seemed to follow the yield rules so that was nice. Great bit of exercise up in the hills.

Beautiful scenery the entire trail...fall colors beginning to appear. Mostly shaded as you wind through the tall trees. Nice variety of elevation change! One long rather relentless uphill stretch close to the top, but the views make it all worthwhile! The last bit up toward the road on the way out is all uphill...I really felt it after 7 miles! Trail is easy to see, well marked. My whippet loved it, too.

Nice little hike.

Beautiful. Amazing. Friendly people on the trail. We loved it and plan on doing it again. Bring a sandwich and have a picnic with your friends and loved ones when you reach stack rock

We went too late in the day, in August, and it was HOT. It's a pretty exposed trail as well. Kind of steep near the end, but it's fun.

Pretty awesome trail.

Great trail, mostly in the trees.

Nice hike! Not too tough but totally exhausted my dog, so that's awesome!

Woke up and wanted to get out, so I tried this trail. The trail is very well made after and tended. Scenic views of the valley.

gorgeous hike!

Loved this trail! Lots of wildflowers along the way and well marked. Parts of the trail are in full sun, however, the majority of the trail was shaded with trees - perfect when hiking in the hot summer for 8 miles :)

Nice trail and one of the few close to Boise that allows you to get up into the trees for the whole hike. We went on a Saturday in late June and there was very heavy traffic. Beware of mountain bicyclists. Most are cautious and courteous, but there are lots of blind turns in the forest and occasionally they get moving too fast.

Beautiful!

This trail was fantastic, but for a couple of chubby old ladies, it really kicked our butts. We're definitely coming back to do it again though! VERY beautiful!

Great trail, well marked, moderate/heavy traffic on weekends, well behaved dogs are accepted/allowed off leash. Not really a loop, definitely an out and back. Plan for some time spent exploring and climbing Stack rock and the surrounding formations!

Nice! Keep following trail to Freddie’s Stacked rock as there’s some side trails. Easy hike. If I can do it, so can you.

Absolutely gorgeous trail. Went really early and there was no one on the hike up and then started to pass people on our way back. Beautiful views and the trail was easy to follow. Definitely doing it again.

First timer to the trail. Found my way easily. Lots of road noise for the first mile or so, but it fades out into the sounds of the forrest and is serene and beautiful. I have seen the trail described as relatively flat on some websites, so was a bit surprised at how often and how much elevation changes on this trail. Water. Sunscreen. Bug Repellant. You won't get to see the stack often, and it kindof sneaks up on you at the top and when you suddenly see it, it is breathtaking! The trail with the full Freddy's loop took me about 4.5 hours, but I stopped to do some climbing at the stack. I would like to do it again in the fall when the aspens change. Only reason it doesn't get 5 stars is TRAFFIC. Very popular trail!

We did this hike on Memorial Day so it was very busy, but really nice! I would definitely recommend checking out the view once you get to the top before the rock. The trail flattens out then it's on the left. We saw a rattlesnake while on this trail near the top.

It was our first time here and didn’t really know what to expect. It was a beautiful day and the trail is in great shape, easy to navigate and understand the signs. We had a good time. Make sure you take plenty of water !!

My wife and I hiked this trail for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it. The forest trails and the wild flowers were beautiful. Overall the trail was well marked and moderately easy for a couple of 60 somethings. The views from Stack Rock were really rewarding.

Pretty great hike! Would be better to do earlier in the season, so more flowers would be in bloom. Saw a lot of lizards, birds, chipmunks, and even a snake! It is a long hike, but it is good if you can power through. Lots of shade and rocks to climb and explore. Morning would probably be better, so it is cooler and less people will be out on the trail.

Beautiful views. Long hike. Hike in is significantly easier than the hike out. Hike is pretty hard for beginners, though.
Would honestly probably consider this closer to the hard side than the moderate side.

It was a fun hike. Pretty easy, but long. We took our 5 year old daughter. She rode on my shoulders for a lot of the way back. She was pretty tired by the time we got there. Would do it again on a bike. A few bikers past us and that looked like a blast!

Harder than I thought it’d be but so worth it!!

My wife hiked this trail today. She was amazed by the wonderful view. Not a lot of trail markings but if you pay attention you will not get lost. She saw a few hikers. She definitely recommends this trail.

This was a gorgeous forested hike. It was really neat to see Stacked Rock in the distance about a quarter of the way through the hike. I highly recommend this for a day hike near Boise.

good walk but due to a bug infestation many of the trail side trees were removed. otherwise very peaceful walk, even with my two toddlers.