Shoofly Oolite Interpretive Trail

Shoofly Oolite Interpretive Trail is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Grand View, Idaho that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 1.6 miles Elevation Gain: 177 feet Route Type: Loop

Off trail, overland walk/hike around the Shoofly Oolite geological formations.

this was a fun hike, it gets a little steep just in the center of the loop where you climb to the rock formations, it's mostly sand going up. the formations are smaller than we expected but we got some cool pictures and the view from the top is great! the triangle formation in the photos is only about two feet tall. on the top of the mountain there's no real trail but getting there and getting out there are.

not bad. checked it off my list.

definitely a cool place to check out with some interesting history. not as much of a hike as i expected, its mostly a trail that takes you up to the top of a plateau which has some really cool rock formations.

this was a nice short hike. not too difficult. it was really cool scenery. trail was unmarked, and i never did find the really cool looking rock formation in the pic. Kids had fun, the cliffs made me nervouse having my kids.

Dog friendly. Not a long hike but a steep climb up the embankments to the rock formations. Great scenery and geological formations, fossils, etc.

It’s was absolutely beautiful! We didn’t follow the trail. We are experienced hikers, so we like to get off the trails. We were in the general area of the trail and you can tell many people don’t stick to it, it’s easy to find your way back. Make sure to wear shoes with tread. Up in the cliffs is very soft rock so if you bring children,(we did-ages9&10, they did great and loved it!) keep them away from the edges, they might crumble! Very cool place! We will be coming back over the next two years we are stationed here! We love Idaho!

Not for "serious" hikers, but if you want to climb around some cool rock formations and wear out your doggo with fun landscape to explore, it's definitely a good time.

Thursday, October 11, 2018

It was kind of cool and I did enjoy myself, even with the snake we came across, eek! . The trail wasn't very clearly mark and we ended up having to turn around because we didn't know where to go next.

Sunday, May 27, 2018

Excellent late spring hike. Suitable for families, dogs, and those of us not in peak shape. I was the only person for the first half an hour today (9:15am). Only saw another couple before heading home. Great photo opportunities too.

Thursday, May 10, 2018

Pretty cool. I was expecting larger formations, but still an interesting place geologically speaking. Very pretty high desert scenery.