Shafer Butte Loop via Brewer's Byway and Lodge Cat Track

Shafer Butte Loop via Brewer's Byway and Lodge Cat Track is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Boise, Idaho that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Plenty of parking is available at Bogus Basin Ski Resort. At times in the summer the lodge will be open and serving food. One lift will typically run on two days (total) each summer.

The trail was beautiful but hard to find. Like another reviewer, I ended up on tempest and then Face and crossed back Elk Meadows. It worked out but I nearly took a wrong turn that would have made for a long day. It was worth seeing and doing but I know I won't go back again.

Quick hike, not a lot of traffic, great views of the Boise forest and distant mountains!

Amazing hike, really enjoyable.

The views are amazing. The hike is rated correctly and very low foot traffic. There are a lot of mountain bikers on the trail. Watch your footing, there are a lot of roots.

didn't do the entire trail, but well worth the trip.

Friday, December 08, 2017

Beautiful hike.

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Beautiful trail with butterflies, wildflowers and birds!

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Well, I'm not certain the route I took was actually Shafer Butte as there are many trails located at the top of bogus and nothing in the area behind the pioneer lodge building appeared to be labeled as it. If you follow apple gps you'll end up here or off the side of the mountain if you take siri literally. The path I followed was labeled Tempest and was very fulfilling and incredibly beautiful. The inclines were enough to get you out of breath just in time to lose it again looking at all the fog over the mountains and bridges of earth connecting other paths. The place was relatively empty the day I was here and when I arrived near the top of the lifts I entered what could only be described as a bird paradise. Tons of different species of smaller birds all interacting together. Many beautiful colors and the varieties just kept increasing the longer I was there. I must have spent an hour or more with swarms of color, mist covered mountain, an abandon lift and not a single other person. It was a magical experience you only seldom encounter on a hike.

Monday, July 10, 2017

B-E-A- UTIFUL

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Great loop! A nice ascent, beautiful flowers and lots of butterflies right now! Get there early to beat the crowds. Will definitely do it again!!

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Snowed on us in June

Wednesday, May 03, 2017

One of my favorite hikes in June. So beautiful!

Thursday, September 08, 2016

Very beautiful

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Didn't make it up in my little car.