Shafer Butte Loop

Shafer Butte Loop is a 6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Boise, Idaho that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Plenty of parking is available at Bogus Basin Ski Resort. At times in the summer the lodge will be open and serving food. One lift will typically run on two days (total) each summer.

Beautiful trail with butterflies, wildflowers and birds!

Well, I'm not certain the route I took was actually Shafer Butte as there are many trails located at the top of bogus and nothing in the area behind the pioneer lodge building appeared to be labeled as it. If you follow apple gps you'll end up here or off the side of the mountain if you take siri literally. The path I followed was labeled Tempest and was very fulfilling and incredibly beautiful. The inclines were enough to get you out of breath just in time to lose it again looking at all the fog over the mountains and bridges of earth connecting other paths. The place was relatively empty the day I was here and when I arrived near the top of the lifts I entered what could only be described as a bird paradise. Tons of different species of smaller birds all interacting together. Many beautiful colors and the varieties just kept increasing the longer I was there. I must have spent an hour or more with swarms of color, mist covered mountain, an abandon lift and not a single other person. It was a magical experience you only seldom encounter on a hike.

B-E-A- UTIFUL

Great loop! A nice ascent, beautiful flowers and lots of butterflies right now! Get there early to beat the crowds. Will definitely do it again!!

Snowed on us in June

One of my favorite hikes in June. So beautiful!

Very beautiful

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Didn't make it up in my little car.

Saturday, July 16, 2016