Seven Devils Loop

Seven Devils Loop is a 27.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Riggins, Idaho that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September.

Distance: 27.9 miles Elevation Gain: 6,548 feet Route Type: Loop

3 day solo backpacking around this loop. Amazing views great trail. If you pack it in please pack it out. This is a wilderness area so be prepared.

dog lake trail. tough with 40 lbs on back. lake is georgeous with lots of trout

not a bad hike. horse heven lake is burned out and carrying a 38 lb pack 10 miles and up to dog lake is tough

awsome trail into baldy lake

Started from the parking lot and took the loop counter clockwise to shelf lake. The route in was 7.5 miles and took us almost 3 hours, gaining and losing 1700 feet. The way back was significantly more difficult but shelf lake was worth it as we had it nearly to ourselves and caught more Cutthroat than we could count. An alternative way out would be to hike ~2ish miles to Sheep Lake and take the Goat Trail out.

Hmmm...I’m not sure what everyone liked about this. Putting aside the heat, the scenery is enjoyable only insofar as looking into hell’s canyon, which you can do very well from heavens gate lookout. I pretty much followed the track here. Campsites along this route were not great. The parking area was full, and I figured most people were at sheep lake so I didn’t go there. I hiked up to echo and he devil lake, which were not that pretty and very buggy. All in all, I felt like it was a waste of a summer trip. Go to the bighorn crags, wallowas, selkirks, sawtooths, elkhorns, or cascades before bothering with this area, IMO. I did see lots of Pikas and mountain goats, and some deer and a herd of elk that traipsed through my campsite.

This trail was a fantastic and exceptionally challenging route to take. I started my track late in the afternoon and completed it by one in the morning. I recommend you take an exceptional amount of water as there is very little water along the trail. Download the map before you lose service because IGot no signal for the duration of the hike. I absolutely love this one.

Gorgeous views of the Seven Devils and Hells Canyon on most of the hike. We didn’t see much wildlife, as the scent of our dogs likely deterred other large mammals. There was significant blowdown but we saw multiple volunteer crews on mules working on it. We camped at baldy lake. We did the loop July 4/5 and only saw 4 other groups. Plenty of camping at seven devils campground for the night prior. Including the hike to baldy lake (which should only be an additional 2 miles or so) and the hike to Diggins Lookout, we ended up around 34 miles. GPS can be inaccurate but I would expect to spend a bit more than 28 miles on the loop pictured here.

i lost my trekking poles CMT carbon with tape around one at the trail head. siemonbk@gmail.com to return please. What a wonderful loop. we did it counter clockwise. camped at echo lake and again at dog lake. with the side hikes i to lakes we clocked about 37miles. the views are breathtaking as well as the altitude. saw a wolf, a bear, a gray fox, huge antlers on an elk or maybe deer it was far away.

This will be a tough one for those that are not physically fit and not ready for a good challenge. To see all 7 of the Devils is awesome theses thing are giants!shear jagged twisted peaks that stick out of the landscape like... well like big ass Devilish mountains

Mon Oct 01 2018

Great loop! We did the whole thing and added 1.6 miles on to go to Echo Lake for a total of 28 miles. We did the loop all in one day, though if you aren’t in shape I wouldn’t suggest it. We ran some of it. Bring lots of water, there were a few creeks along the way if you went counter-clockwise. The last half there were not creeks. We didn’t see a single soul on the trail! Beautiful area! Highly recommend going in the fall. The colors were amazing!!

Wed Aug 29 2018

Did the loop end of July. I highly recommend it. The side hike to Dog lake is brutal. The trail has not been cleared in forever, so it's bushwhacking all the way. However, Dog Lake was absolutely gorgeous and the lake is full of hungry rainbows. Definitely worth the trip. I also recommend doing the loop counterclockwise. The 11 miles without water is mostly easy walking on well maintained trail.

Wed Aug 15 2018

I had originally planned this as a relaxing three night trip but plans changed as the “inn” was full when I arrived at EchoLske so I had to push it out a bit further than planned. I spent the second night at Dog Lake and then back to starting line with a short hop up to Lower Cannon. I found this loop to be a very tough hike. Unlike the Eagle Cap where water is plentiful that is not the case here. There was a stretch of almost nine miles with no trail side water. The hikes to the lakes are all a bit tough. I concur with someone else’s recommendation for doing the looping a counter clockwise direction. If you want to do a day hike then go clockwise to lower Cannon and get some great views of “The Devils”. I also concur with the idea that you should have some experience as this is not a walk-in the park.

Tue Jul 31 2018

We did this loop 5 days 4 nights. It was 42 miles including a hike to Dry Diggins lookout, Baldy Lake, Horse Heaven cabin and Lower Cannon Lake. We camped off the trail except for Baldy Lake and hiked packs off for the remaining. We found excellent and/or adequate camp sites every night. By the end of hiking in 80+degree heat, you will sleep anywhere. Bonus of heat is mosquitoes were minimal. Lucky to have had volunteers just finish cleaning out the trail between Echo and Baldy, made for great trail conditions on 90% of the loop. It was a harder hike than we anticipated, but the extra day was good for resting up. Beautiful country and amazing views until the last day the smoke from the fires in the area was rolling in.

Tue Jul 17 2018

Took us 2.5 days to make it around. Didn’t do any of the lake trails except lower cannon. Beautiful scenery despite the fire season smoke.

Sat Jul 07 2018

Amazing loop but you better be in shape to do it or have 3-4 days min to make it around.

Sat Aug 19 2017

seven devil's is a hard hike. Lots of elevation change and at times very cool views. the original plan was to hike the whole loop, but because of time we couldn't finish the whole loop so we turned around and came back. We started the hike counterclockwise and went out to dry diggs. dry digs itself makes the hike worth it, getting multiple different views of canyons and the snake river. I would definetly recommend this hike. Only thing I would not recommend is getting a flat tire. (it sucks).

Mon Aug 07 2017

There was a good amount of smoke due to wildfires, so a couple of us had trouble breathing for part of it. It took us 11 hours with breaks to do the whole loop (10am-9pm). The trail is mostly well marked except for a section 2/5 of the way. If you do the loop counterclockwise, you hit most of the altitude right away and you have smoother sailing for the second half. The area is very warm and dry, but there are enough creeks to fill up if you have a purifier. There is a 12 mile section without any creeks, so plan accordingly. Very beautiful route.

Sun Jun 15 2014

I've hiked this loop numerous times and have always found it to be an outstanding wilderness trip. Of course, you can hike the loop in either direction but I would recommend counter-clockwise. You will want to deviate from the loop and locate your campsites at the many lakes which are located on trails which head toward the main crest. Sheep, Echo and Baldy are among my favorites. You will add to the mileage by camping off the loop, but you will also find much more scenic and enjoyable camps. The east side of the range is much drier than the west with fewer camping areas. Experienced hikers can complete this loop as an overnight, but to savor the experience, I would recommend 3-4 days at least. The access road which is 17 miles long leaves Highway 95 south of Riggins. It is primarily dirt and/or gravel and gets a little rough near the end; best for higher clearance vehicles. There are two campgrounds near the trail head.