Scotchman Peak Trail is a 7.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Clark Fork, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.6 miles Elevation Gain: 3,664 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Hiked 5/29/20. The trail is clear until about 1.5 miles from the peak. The warm weather has melted a lot of the tracks so being the first ones up for the day we had to do some route finding and just headed “up” until coming out of the trees. No snowshoes or other traction devices needed. One big curious goat roaming the summit who apparently didn’t get the memo about social distancing. We did lose some OR gaiters off our pack glissading down if anyone finds a pair. Posted a drone video on YouTube, check it out! https://youtu.be/Idi72X7ha7E

Was a great hike some snow but don’t need snowshoes, great views and cell service all the way up!

Looking to hike and camp at this location. Are you able to camp at scotchman peak?

This trail is my favorite. We hiked this 5/24/20. Contrary to the last review. The path is well traveled. 20-30 tracks in the snow all the way to the top in the snow. We did not get lost. Two fat guys in jeans, hiking boots and poles. No crimp-ons and no snow shoes.

Hiked this on 5.23.2020: had clearly snowed a few inches + since the last time somehow hiked; we broke trail the whole way up. Did not require snowshoes (we brought them but did not use); traction and poles were helpful. Would strongly advise having navigation if you’re going to hike this right now!

icy

Summited Scotchmans peak yesterday. Snow line around 2 miles in. Used snow shoes to summit. Somewhat crowded at trailhead 65. Easy to lose sight of trail in snow, especially on the way down. Worth the trip.

05/04/2020. Made it to 4520 feet (1.75 mile) before there was more snow than I wanted to hike in with 62 lb pack. On my way down I meet another couple heading up. Wanting a workout, I went to the trailhead, than went backup 1.75 miles. I never saw the other couple again, so I assume they made it to the top. Nice hike, lower trail in good shape, moderate steady grade (1300 feet /1.75 mile). Had to crawl under 2 trees. Nice view about mile in.

icy

We went snowshoeing and had a lot of fun. We got a late start so we didn’t summit, but the views were still fantastic.

Bring your snowshoes! Post holing was thigh high at the little false summit area for me today. (Unless you’re legolas, of course.)

Really nice hike. Lots of snow/ice up top. trail is a little off at the high point. big thanks to the guy below me who wrote the directions because GPS took me to the wrong spot further down that mountain road!

Trail conditions great, couldn't make the summit due to goat sentries, but we got close.

This is a wonderful hike just as everyone said! 3.8 miles up with a couple 20-foot sections of level trail to give you a breather :-). The last 0.8 miles was snow and some ice where previous hiker’s feet packed the snow. There was a decent crust on the top and so I only post-holed down to my calf a few times. Didn’t think to bring my gaiters! Coiled wire crampons were super helpful, especially on the descent after it warmed up a bit and the ice was extra slick. I started at sunrise and was the first person in the parking lot. I didn’t see anyone else until my way down when I passed seven people (three groups). I spent about two hours at the top shooting some drone footage and, unfortunately, never saw any mountain goats. I didn’t even see any tracks in the snow so it seems they haven’t been up there in several days. Maybe since the grass is covered in snow there was nothing to attract them to the top. Give me an excuse to go again! Someone’s review below referred to directions on “friends of scotchmans peak” website. Here are the directions. They were perfect and led me right to the trail head: “Scotchman Peak Trail #65: Take Highway 200 to Clark Fork, Idaho then turn north at the Chevron Station onto Main Street. Follow this road past Clark Fork High School, and then around a bend to the right. At the intersection with Lightning Creek Road, set your trip odometer to 0. (Don’t turn here; keep going straight on Mosquito Creek Road.) At 0.6 miles, keep left at the fork. At 2.1 miles, turn right on FR 2295. (There won’t be a sign marking it as FR 2295. It’s marked as such on the map. You’ll know you’re heading into the right neighborhood when you pass the sign telling you you’re entering grizzly bear habitat.) At 3.1 miles, turn left onto FR 2294. (Again, there won’t be a sign marking it as FR 2294. You’ll see a small sign pointing toward Trail 65.) At mile 3.6, turn left on FR 2294A. (And, yet again, there won’t be a sign marking it as FR 2294A) Follow FR 2294A for 2.2 more miles to the end of the road, where you’ll find the trail head.”

Love this hike try to do it yearly. 9.25.19 was amazing, cool hiking weather, and everybody coming down said they didn't see any goats, we saw 6!! Very tough climb to get there though, very few & short flat bits, the rest is just up n up n up. Don't follow gps, you want a right at the last Y and then turn up marker 65.

(Hiked 9/21) Finally made the drive from Spokane on a day I thought was going to be "partly cloudy". Lesson #1, in mid-September, don't rely on weather forecasts. If the fog hadn't cleared a little once I reached the talus field I wouldn't have known there was quite a bit more climbing to do. Which leads me to Lesson # 2, take gloves...and a stocking cap. (These should be standard packing items this time of year!). If my fingers weren't so cold I would have looked at my AllTrails map and realized I hadn't reached the top yet (I would also have realized my phone battery was about to die). Eventually the fog started to clear and the views opened up. Saw several goats, including a mamma and her two little ones. Despite my efforts to be "goat aware", I somehow ended up on a trail between mama and the babes on my way back to the tree line. I was able to quickly move off the trail then waited for them to catch up to mom. Luckily Mom didn't appear to pay much attention to me. Overall, a great day..fog and all. It IS a workout and can be tough on the knees coming down. Trekking poles were helpful. And dress in layers. FYI, there are 2 porta-potty's at the trailhead. Can't wait to go back!

Great hike with views of Pend Oreille/clouds depending on the day! Saw a couple people who got too close to the goats and threw out food for them. Don't be one of those people, please!

Amazing hike! Watch for the 65 trail head. Amazing views the elevation is well spaced good hike!

This was a bucket list hike and I finally made it! The trail itself was a beautiful steady uphill climb. As others have said bring lots of water and trekking poles are nice to have. The fall foilage along the trail was beautiful, along with the views of Pend Oreille Lake and mountains. The weather was beautiful and the views at the top were phenomenal! You feel like you are on top of the world. We saw a mama and baby goat at the top. I would recommend going early because the trail got very busy on the way down and parking lot was full.

I am rating this a 5 star trail for so many reasons. Yes, as I’m sure you’re seeing in other reviews- this is a hard hike. However, if you know it’s a hard hike and you go in prepared- it’s incredible. You should not attempt it if you do not bring water, bear spray and something to snack on. I would very highly recommend you being in decent shape health wise! There are places to sit down and rest on your way to the top, there are literally breathtaking views the ENTIRE way, the trail is well groomed and easy to find, and there are always beautiful mountain goats at the top! My husband and I are avid hikers but we still took the time to enjoy the trail. It took us 1.5 hours up and 1.5 hours down. I have a hip that likes to throw a fit going downhill but we made it just fine. Take the time to go do this hike, it’s one of our most favorites!

Really steep on the way up. Temperature was cool then turned cold (39 degrees) as we summited. Good amount of switchbacks that alleviate the steepness. Really rewarding hike but didn’t see goats up there :(. We started at 0530 and got to the top at 0745. Local told us that the mountain goats show up at 1130 til the afternoon so plan to hike midday if you want to see some mountain goats.

First off, when looking for the trailhead, you can follow the GPS address from AllTrails, but look for the TRAIL 65 placards! It is easy to pass it, so stay on the look out because GPS won’t take you directly to trailhead. Secondly, this trail is very difficult when it comes to muscular endurance. I would not recommend if you are not an avid hiker or in good physical condition. Bring water and snacks for the hike, as you will most likely need it for the length of this hike. Lastly, you are greatly rewarded when you finally get to the top of the trail. You are met by beautiful lake and mountain ridge views. Also, you have a great chance to come within feet of wild mountain goats. This was an incredible hike! Would recommend, but be ready to work for it. ROUND TRIP TIME: 5 hours

Great hike but the road in was tough in my sedan. Made it in a Chevy Cruze so it’s doable but be careful of potholes. One of my favorite hikes in the area, and the goats are amazing! They can be alittle over curious though, so don’t let them get to close.

Tough hike. Relentless uphill all the way to the top. It’s all about the goats. The goats posed nicely for some pics. Saw 3 on the top, and ran into more on 3 separate occasions on the way down. Total of 8 different goats. We were lucky and had perfect weather. Sunny and no wind. Had heard a lot about this hike and glad we did it. But won’t do it again until we check a few others off the list. Take a lot of water. Follow the signs to trail 65. You will find it!