Scotchman Peak Trail

Scotchman Peak Trail is a 8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Clark Fork, Idaho that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From Sandpoint take Hwy. 200 east 25 miles to Clark Fork; turn left at Lightning Creek Road and go 1.2 miles (do not take Road 419) to the fork in the Road; take the fork to the left and go 1.4 miles; turn right and go 1 mile; turn left and go ½ mile; turn left and go 2.1 miles; turn left to the trailhead. It is a total of 6.3 miles from Hwy. 200.

Great trail! Not for those who do not hike on a regular basis. It is all up hill then all downhill. (The next day it's the downhill that you will feel the most.)
The trail is well groomed and easy to follow. Please use proper trail edict and give the right of way to those going up.
The view at the top is magnificent, and the chance to get that close to mountain goats is special.
A few helpful hints.
Bring extra water.
Wear boots not running shoes, preferably with a thicker sole due to the rocks.
Follow the guidelines for the goats.
Don't be too proud to use trekking poles.

Trail was clear and easy to navigate. Apparently one small black bear in the area but no worries, make a lil noise and the timid things usually scurry away. The peak was well worth the 2.5hrs of hamstring punishment. Highly recommend.

Mountain goats!

Directions and markers were awful. We got lost and found some locals to direct us. Having said that, the hike was hard even for a seasoned hiker. Views were amazing and mountain goats were epic as we saw two adults and two babies. App had us at 10.9 miles and 264 flights of stairs. Favorite hike thus far!

Definitely hard. Like everyone else posted it is closer to 8 miles. Glad I did it, don't need to do it again.

All uphill from the trail head to the summit. The persistent incline and overall distance will test your conditioning. We made the summit in 2.5 hrs and were down in 2.

Take a sweatshirt or windbreaker because the temperature difference is quite drastic between the base and summit.

3 goats wandering the summit. They kept their distance.

Neat and very senic...pretty tuff, but not bad. Didn't see any Mtn goats in the end of September, bring water, no streams or water sources.

Excellent hike. First third of the way up is strenuous. The middle section was my favorite with excellent views, beautiful vegetation, gradual climb, and grouse! The last mile requires good balance and concentration for the loose rocks. The peak was awesome. Big slabs of rock to lay on. We saw goats on the steep shaded northern slope!

One of the most amazing hikes I've done!

beautiful hike with amazing views at the top.

Super hard hike but super worth the views. Varied landscapes and scenery.

The trailhead that google maps takes you to is nowhere near the actual trailhead, so we were lost for about an hour trying to find the trailhead. So, a heads up for any future hikers you will turn left and be following #65, which isn't marked very often, we only saw the marker twice, then you will be in a more open/clear area after a bit that has previously been logged and the dirt road will come to a fork, GO LEFT at the fork, do not go straight like Google maps tells you to. And if you follow that, you will run right into the trailhead.
This inaccuracy of Google maps, set us back an hour, but we were making pretty good time on our hike. The hike is definitely tough, but so worth it for the views at the top. We passed a lot of people telling us we had such a long way to go and it was a bit late in the for day for us to be hiking up there (it was only 2:00pm and we were halfway up). The AllTrails map is completely off on the distance, I have a Garmin GPS fitness watch and it said we had hiked 4 miles when we got to the top where you reach the clearing and can see everything, but the AllTrails map only said we were barely 2 miles up....SO NOT CORRECT! We kept getting nervous with everyone telling us we were hiking pretty late and we had a ways to go, that we decided to turn around once we reached our 4 mile mark. I am sure we only had another half mile to a mile left to go, but we were not familiar with the area and the bears and goats, we didn't want to end up stranded in the dark, even though we did come prepared. We will definitely try the hike it again, now that we know exactly where the trailhead is and we will be able to leave earlier in the day.

Definitely a very difficult trail but the views from the top make it worth it. It is definitely not a 6 mile hike but an 8 mile hike. On the way in there are no downhill so if you cannot handle incline this trail will not be for you. I took my dog in the poor guy was totally pooped in my van so if you go make sure you bring enough water for you and for your puppy. I do even throw in an extra bottle just to be on the safe side. Saw six Mountain goats on the summit could pretty much walk within 5 feet of them as they were right next to the trail and didn't care about humans. All in all a super awesome hike glad I got to scratch it off the to do list.

Go early and bring lots of water. We hit the trail at 7:30 and were back to the car by noon. If not for the wildfire smoke, the views would have been amazing. The real treat is the goats, however. Don't be intimidated by the elevation gain - it's well worth the effort!

This is by far my favorite trail in Idaho's four northern counties, however as many commenters have said, it is a strenuous trail for all but the pro level of mountain runner. I have made the mistake of not bringing enough water, as the trail starts in more humid forest cover , which can make you sweat, but pops above the tree line roughly 2/3 of the way up, and the sun exposure plus (moderate altitude) can catch you unprepared. The views are unparalleled for this region, as we have few truly alpine mountains in North Idaho. It made me miss the hikes in the Sierras I had as a kid. Winter and late Spring usually will entail a good deal of snow cover, and Avalanche/icefall danger is present. It can be hard to see the drop offs properly when snow is prevalent, so don't risk it. In summer, typical scree/rockfall dangers are present near the summit, however this inst a technical peak to hike, it just requires good planning and fitness. You will be amply rewarded upon completing this hike. No lakes or streams nearby, so as I mentioned, bring more water than you think you need. I would recommend boots even if you are used to hiking in lower cut shoes. The ankle support will likely be appreciated.