Scotchman Peak Trail

Scotchman Peak Trail is a 8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Clark Fork, Idaho that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Amazing hike with breathtaking views! Trail is steep and hard on the knees when going down, wish I had grabbed my poles. Trail is in great shape and just a touch of snow still left in the higher elevation. The road into the trail is quite nice, you don't a high clearance vehicle to get there.

Amazing hike. Very steep switchbacks and going back down will kill your knees, but the view is so worth it. Saw a lot of wildlife: moose, grouse, elk, and of course mountain goats.

it was an amazing hike with a lovely trail. We saw some mountain goats and a grouse. The view along the climb is wonderful. you will not be disappointed. I'm 30 years old, in a moderate shape and I climbed this peak with my son who is 4 years old, it wasn't a difficult climb but a long way. We walked 3 hours to go to the top. Very good trail to see wild animals, amazing view on the Pend Oreille lake, wild flowers and enjoy a view at the top on the mountains all around you !

It’s a quite difficult hike, be prepared with LOTS of water on a hot day. Once you get to the tip top.. worth every second!!!!!! ❤️ Best views in Idaho that I’ve seen in quite some time.

If you have thought about doing this hike, and then thought about it some more, then read the reviews and continued to think, “Can I do this hike? Will it be too hard?!” The answer is, DO THIS HIKE! It is a difficult hike, but worth every step! My husband (in really good shape) myself (a walker but not in that good of shape) and my 9 year old (how hard is it to get 70 pounds up a hill?!) did the hike on 7.7.18. It took us about 5 hours round trip with a few breaks along the way. When we reached the top, there were a dozen or so goats. AMAZING! Don’t think another second about this hike. You will be so happy you did this! Happy hiking!

This hike was absolutely gorgeous and strenuous! We even saw two different groups of goats on the trail!

what a gorgeous hike! even saw a mountain goat to boot!

This trail is listed as difficult for a reason. The 4+ miles of uphill are quite a challenge for anyone. Beautiful scenery around every corner and goats everywhere around the top. Heed the Rangers advice and don't pet them, let them lick you or let them eat your food or they will be destroyed for becoming aggressive. Good shoes are advised but I made it fine in my old Brooks running shoes. Bring lots of water as there are no water sources. There are bathrooms at the base which are nice to have. The path down is much easier on the lungs and heart but brutal on the knees and I'm used to running long distances so take breaks if needed. It was the hardest hike I've ever done but totally worth it at the top. Don't trust the online driving directions, just look for trail #65 signs on road. Some other signs have been knocked down. Happy hiking!

This hike is very doable with all the switch backs and taking your time. Coming down if you have any knee issues prepare for that (taping braces wraps). No water on this hike. I drank 2 liters on cool day. Last year drank over 4 liters on a hot day. Nice parking and porta potty at the bottom. Your allowed to camp there. Leave no trace. Unless a big rain the creek there is usually dry in summer. Trail well maintained. Sometimes during the week and most weekends there are goat Ambassadors somewhere along the trail to help with education and making sure the goats are safe and don’t become an issue that has to be taken care of. Most of them (not all) have extra water, limited first aide stuff for blisters, and maps. Phone service most of the way. It’s a fabulous hike. Worth every grueling step.

amazing day - blue sky non-stop! A little more snow than last summer!Cross a stream in parking lot, good trail for first mile plus- then snow- hiked up thru it in shorts and boots, made it halfway. Ate lunch in snow - headed down. snow soft but doable.Will hit again in June.

Fantastic hike, wish the fog would’ve lifted but still great accomplishment. Ended up completing the whole thing in 3:27 with eating at the top. Just like everyone else says it is quite a workout.

Three of us all 70, but in excellent shape hiked the trail. We found it to be an excellent workout and we made to the summit without much difficulty.
Highlight of the walk was the mountain goats at the summit.

As others have said, this trail is a workout. I'm 37 and in pretty good hiking shape and I found it difficult but I was also pushing my pace quite a bit. However, I met a couple of ladies in their mid 70s who were approaching the summit, so with determination and pacing, anyone can do this. There is still heavy snow on the upper 1/4 of the trail. It won't likely be gone until August. But I was easily able to follow the footprints over the snow to stay on course. The views are spectacular on a clear day. Some of the best you can find around here. Absolutely worth the effort.

May 31st:

Seven of us made it about 3/4 the way up before - tired and wreaking of fat guy - four of our weaker men called it quits and prematurely cracked victory beers. We remaining three trekked the last quarter, where snow still lie, until we valiantly conquered the beast. We may have lost the trail a time or two through the remains of winter, but at the peak, eight wise mountain goats helped to celebrate our accomplishment.

We later found the four weak men wreaking of fat guy, and now alcohol, at a local pub. We only wonder why they couldn't make it.

Strenuous with beautiful view as your reward. I’m in my early 30s and in moderate shape, and it was a challenge during the initial switchbacks and a little painful on my knees in the way down. Pack some food and water and enjoy your day on this trail!

A few of us hiked up here last Thursday, 5/24. The bottom 3/4 of the trail was great. The top 1/4 was still covered in snow. Because of the snow, it was impossible to stay on the trail. Luckily a couple of us had been there before, so we knew where the trail led & we still made it to the top. The trail is steep even if there was no snow to worry about. The snow made it interesting & made the destination that much more satisfying. There were no goats to be found when we reached the peak, but it was still worth every bit of work. 10/10 would recommend this hike

Lovely hike. Strenuous, but not particularly technical. Trail was obvious until I hit a good bit of snow 3/4 of a mile from the end. Will definitely do again later in Summer.

great hike..very difficult for someone not in good shape. half way up about 2ft + snow and the trail very narrow with little foot traffic. views are completely worth it. We took longer with more breaks and hiked out in complete dark..not recommended! we saw no animals but lots if tracks. hiking poles a must..the road to get to the trail not great, pot holes, lots of limbs down and icy..

Great hike was expecting a tougher hike, so I was very happy...
Unfortunately I went two weekends in a row 10/1 & 10/8 and didn't get a view at the top due to fog and clouds. The views heading up are amazing. Incredibly rewarding. Both hikes were at sunrise. Recommend afternoon arrival at the summit. Bring a heavy coat it's cold at the top.

Very cool hike

Must do hike!! Trail is well maintained! Trail is steep and some hikers may find it challenging. The beauty distracts though. Don't let this stop you, just plan on extra time.
Near the top (last 1000' roughly) the nice dirt changes to large fist sized rocks. It's not technical, but does require extra attention to not roll an ankle.
We hiked October 2, 2017: light sprinkle as we started from the trail head. This turned to snow at 5000', and started sticking at 6000'. By 6500' there was 1"-2" on the ground. At the peak our visibility was roughly 100'. Just enough to appreciate the steep slope on all sides. We also saw two mountain goats; a mother, and a kid.
Note: the getting there directions on AllTrails blow. Look up proper directions from Friends of Scotchman Peak and save your self some headache.

The views are beautiful and the goats are really cool. I am glad I did this one.

Great trail! Not for those who do not hike on a regular basis. It is all up hill then all downhill. (The next day it's the downhill that you will feel the most.)
The trail is well groomed and easy to follow. Please use proper trail edict and give the right of way to those going up.
The view at the top is magnificent, and the chance to get that close to mountain goats is special.
A few helpful hints.
Bring extra water.
Wear boots not running shoes, preferably with a thicker sole due to the rocks.
Follow the guidelines for the goats.
Don't be too proud to use trekking poles.

Trail was clear and easy to navigate. Apparently one small black bear in the area but no worries, make a lil noise and the timid things usually scurry away. The peak was well worth the 2.5hrs of hamstring punishment. Highly recommend.

Mountain goats!

Directions and markers were awful. We got lost and found some locals to direct us. Having said that, the hike was hard even for a seasoned hiker. Views were amazing and mountain goats were epic as we saw two adults and two babies. App had us at 10.9 miles and 264 flights of stairs. Favorite hike thus far!

Definitely hard. Like everyone else posted it is closer to 8 miles. Glad I did it, don't need to do it again.

All uphill from the trail head to the summit. The persistent incline and overall distance will test your conditioning. We made the summit in 2.5 hrs and were down in 2.

Take a sweatshirt or windbreaker because the temperature difference is quite drastic between the base and summit.

3 goats wandering the summit. They kept their distance.

Neat and very senic...pretty tuff, but not bad. Didn't see any Mtn goats in the end of September, bring water, no streams or water sources.

Excellent hike. First third of the way up is strenuous. The middle section was my favorite with excellent views, beautiful vegetation, gradual climb, and grouse! The last mile requires good balance and concentration for the loose rocks. The peak was awesome. Big slabs of rock to lay on. We saw goats on the steep shaded northern slope!