Scotchman Peak Trail

Scotchman Peak Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Clark Fork, Idaho that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

Did this hike on a whim around noon sometime last week, and was pleasantly surprised by the beauty it had to offer. From the spring, comes the sprouts of wondrous mountain flowers aching to reveal themselves from a frost tormented ground.

The very aroma was crisp with flora, each exhilarated breath took was baited by the natural perfume emanating from the vast forestry surrounded on either side of a narrow climb. As my adventure continued I was met by the beautiful remnants of a winter wonderland, it heavily dusted across a pale landscape which acted as a veil to the very trail itself.

It took hours, and sometimes even several small winded breaks to summon the courage to venture on through a wayward path to reach the peak itself. There the true majesty of the world can be taken in full view. Through the suffering climb, you can finally find God under the blistering heat of the sun, and his breath upon the subtle chill of a lapsing breeze. The descent proved difficult, as the trail was lost to me, and under the duress of a horrible fall upon the icy bed that encumbered the region and burdened my ego I found joy as well as laughter. Forgotten of my obsessions or enslavements of love lost, I was finally thankful for the day. However, I was reminded of a quote by Sierra DeMulder in speaking of true love. "I love you head over handles like my first bicycle accident - before the mouthful of gravel and blood. I swore we were flying."

extremely steep trail. definitely not for a beginner. not a spring hike. we went in may and the snow was very deep. great trails a few down trees but nothing we can't handle. I would love to do this hike again in the late summer.

Beautiful and Steep. Dont feed the mountaim goats and they are not afraid of you. Be cautious.

did it in October, had lots of snow so the trail was difficult to follow at times. the snow also probably pushed the goats down, didn't see any. I definitely want to go back.

Check the US forest service site before you plan your hike! It's trail #65. The summer of 2015 it was closed for awhile due to mountain goat attacks. One man was gored and another had a finger bitten off (both survived). It's a popular trail in the summer and the goats at the top are not afraid of people so keep you distance and be safe! It's a quick drive over from Sandpoint but the roads are not well marked. I grew up in this area and it is definitely one of my favorite hikes!

Very difficult hike. The trail is very steep but the payoff at the top is all worth it!! Not for beginners. Make sure you have good hiking boots.

I could not find the trail head using the directions on All Trails. Had to give up due to time. Too bad - was looking forward to the hike. A check on Google maps suggests that All Trails directed me down the wrong dirt road. There is no cell coverage, so make sure you have the right road before you get out there.

Super fun hike ! For sure steep but worth it once you get to the top. My sister and I did it in about two hours. We saw six goats (: Beautiful views. Driving there was easy if you follow the signs.. All dirt/rock heading into the trail so make sure you have a car that can drive that!

Great trail. The first portion is very steep, but the switchbacks are more forgiving as you climb higher. Under tree cover first several miles. I saw a mama and her kid and another goat who wanted to hang out on the top. Great hike, knees are feeling it the next day

Challenging and very rewarding once you reach the top

Went yesterday it was awesome no goats 6667feet that was a killer but well worth it trail was easy to fallow Huckleberry still on way up high on the trail .

The views were amazing! we saw 6 mountain goats on top. Met a nice couple. A great day!

Took me 3:25hr for the full 8 miles. Probably a little over 2 hours to the top. I didn't see any mountain goats which is sad. Foggy and cold at the top today!

Glorious view with well maintained trail. I was overzealous and jumped into the brush before finding the official trailhead. It cost me 3 hours of wandering off the path with only my iPhone and this app to guide me. Still worth it. Got the journey of my life. What better way to find yourself than to get lost on a wilderness mountainside?