Learn more

Scotchman Peak Trail is a 7.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Clark Fork, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.6 miles Elevation Gain: 3,664 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Scotchman Peak Trail #65: Take Highway 200 to Clark Fork, Idaho then turn north at the Chevron Station onto Main Street. Follow this road past Clark Fork High School, and then around a bend to the right. At the intersection with Lightning Creek Road, set your trip odometer to 0. (Don’t turn here; keep going straight on Mosquito Creek Road.) At 0.6 miles, keep left at the fork. At 2.1 miles, turn right on FR 2295. (There won’t be a sign marking it as FR 2295. It’s marked as such on the map. You’ll know you’re heading into the right neighborhood when you pass the sign telling you you’re entering grizzly bear habitat.) At 3.1 miles, turn left onto FR 2294. (Again, there won’t be a sign marking it as FR 2294. You’ll see a small sign pointing toward Trail 65.) At mile 3.6, turn left on FR 2294A. (And, yet again, there won’t be a sign marking it as FR 2294A) Follow FR 2294A for 2.2 more miles to the end of the road, where you’ll find the trail head.

great!

Had a blast with my son. sad that the clouds killed our views. We saw 2 owls, 3 goats. Not as hard as I was expecting.

This hike is no joke! Definitely a trek to get up, but the views are so worth it! Saw tons of goats at the top, and even some stragglers lower down the trail. My hiking partner was charged from behind by a goat before the top, but she stood her ground when hearing the goat run behind her and he stopped dead in his tracks. I think it was bluffing her! Make sure to bring lots of water, especially for your dogs as there aren’t any drinking holes for them.

What a beautiful view at the top, and several places throughout the hike! This was my very first hike, and woah, it was rough! Glad I picked up a walking stick for the way down. I went with family on Monday, June 29th and we did get rained on for a little bit.

Lots of Mama and Baby goats today. Saw a black bear. Everyone seemed to keep their distance from the animals which was good to see. Clear skies, perfect temp, no huckleberries yet. Very busy day.

Totally worth the blood sweat, and kiddos tears! To the very top and back was 8.6 miles by my AllTrails navigation. It was a perfect day and the views are killer! Hard hike, but so worth it!

Hiked this last week (June28th.) Most of the trail was very visible till around 3.3 miles, hit a small patch of snow. Took us 3 hours to get to the top, hailed near the top. 2 hours to get down. Tried to keep our distance from the goats. Very pesky. The view is worth it!

We went June 19th. I’ll agree with the reviews that this was an AWESOME hike! On par, or nearly on par with the premier Glacier NP day hikes like Iceberg Lake and Ptarmigan Pass. I think some of the past reviews make this hike seem easier than it is. It’s a continuous ascent, the math says 19% to the peak. Took us 4 hrs up, and 2 1/2 down. We were casually hiking but, steady forward. Still some post-holing in deep snow. STAY AWAY from the snow cornice on top! That thing is danger considering the inexperienced hikers this peak may attract. I don’t want to be an alarmist, but if you’re not familiar with cornices don’t be scared off, just take 2 minutes to research them before you go and/or stay on terra firma.

Absolutely loved it! It was definitely a gnarly hike, but the views and the wildlife we’re totally worth it.

6/28/20 - My initial reaction is this is the best bike I’ve done in the US! It reminded me of hikes I did in New Zealand this past December. Can’t recommend enough!! Now, some house keeping. 1. Google maps gets you there most of the way, but have the written direction ready once you get on the less well maintained dirt road. We added at least 30 mins of drive time because we didn’t realize this. 2. We didn’t bring poles, but I personally thought they would have been helpful! 3. There is an initial snow patch and then a longer snow patch. The longer snow patch is slippery and lasts ~ 1/4 mile. Follow footsteps! 4. Be prepared for different weather conditions. It rained and hailed when we were at the top! Otherwise, I was plenty warm in short sleeve shirt. Suggest layers and a rain jacket. 5. It took us 5 hours to complete the hike. It’s hard! Bring snacks/food.

6/27/2020 What a great trail! The place to park was across a small stream but still made it In my PT cruiser lol. Very steep for the middle 2 miles. 3/4 of the way up we hit snow and had to find the trail a few time but when we made it to the top the views were BREATH taking!! There were 14 goats up on the top with a tiny baby! These goats are NOT scared of humans or dogs. We opened our lunch and one was so brave it wanted to steal my lunch. This is a very popular trail, on our way out we saw about 35 other groups of people. I suggest getting started nice and early. We started at 6:45am and didn’t see people till on our way down.

Ok let me just sat this hike was INTENSE wow and no one mentions that this hike is incline the entire way but wow was it worth it! When you started nearing the end it’s snowy almost knee deep but it’s hardened, you sort of lose track of where the trail is but just follow the foot steps it’ll lead you to it! We saw so many mountain goats at the top, be AWARE they are NOT afraid of you also don’t feed them!

Amazing. Stunning. Immaculate. This trail is worth it. If you’re wondering whether or not to do this trail, absolutely make the trip. Views like no other, 360° mountain range views from the top. The hike wasn’t extremely difficult. I would rate it is moderate. Trail is well defined throughout. Also to note, this trail is actually 9.8 miles round trip, not the 7.6 All Trails has listed.

great!

Follow signs to trail 65 and you won't have a problem. The parking lot can be crowded. We arrived at 930 on a Saturday and there were 15 cars and when we left there were 30 and parking was 100 yards away. I found it to be 8.6 miles if you want to get to the top. There was snow for the last mile to 1/2 then you were to the ridge and goats. Look to the east side of the ridge to find a trail to the top. The last 1/2 mile is steep and rugged with rocky terrain. The views are spectacular and well worth it. Save some time to enjoy the summit. It took us 5.5 hours round trip and we hiked quickly.

Great trail, saw 6 goats and 1 baby. Recommend to screenshot the written All Trails directions above. Because hitting the directions button on the app to use google maps took us past the trail 65 turn and got us a bit turned around. Snow starts @ mile 3 but is well trafficked and easy to follow.

Great hike up, but bring your legs! Also, just bring light hiking shoes, and some water, no trekking/old person poles needed, they will just slow you down.. Took 2 hours to reach the goats.. Snow at the top. Enjoy

icy

Hiked yesterday(21st) , lots of switchbacks. Not that bad,hardest part was near the top due to snow(slippery).Recommend bring good shoes and trekking pole. there goats at the top

Gorgeous hike. Trail is in good condition. Incline is fairly consistent with lots of switchbacks. Hit slushy snow the last 3/4 mile before getting to the exposed rocks near the top. The trail was not difficult to follow through the snow but recommend footwear with good traction. The views from the top are awesome and well worth the climb.