Learn more

Sand Mountain Lookout Trail is a 4.6 mile out and back trail located near Harvard, Idaho that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 4.6 mi Elevation gain 971 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (10)
Recordings (10)
Completed (22)
Weina Dai
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Sep 24 2019
Hiking

I honestly wish I had the entire day instead of a few hours then I could actually explore and hike all the way to the top. I loved how it was in the forest and there were no other people. The few clearings I saw when I got higher had gorgeous views. I can only imagine what the peak is like. Next time I’ll dedicate an entire day just to get to the peak without worry of nightfall.

View Weina's Recording
Shyanne Schoenlein
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat May 04 2019
Hiking

This hike was great! There were quite a few downed trees but had some motorcyclists butting them down. It was quiet other than those few motorcycles. Beautiful hike along the creek! Will do again!

Katie Stubbers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon May 22 2017
Camping

We set up a campsite near the head of the trail. It was beautiful out there and we were having a wonderful time until it started to get dark. We had built a fire and were winding down when my dog growled at the forest behind us. We looked back and scanned the forest. There was a large adult mountain lion standing about 200 feet from our camp, staring directly at us. We stood up and stared at it, not daring to look away in case it moved. We backed slowly to our car and saw it turn around and go up the mountain away from us, so we quickly took down our camp and put out the fire and drove away. So this area must be part of the lion's territory, which may not be a problem during the day as they are nocturnal but still be cautioned. I wouldn't recommend camping around here unless you're prepared to face the lion. Nonetheless it is a beautiful area and the hike is very nice.

Jonathan Schuh
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFri Jun 03 2016

It is a good hike, but there isn't really a peak. The trees clear near the "top" and give a good view of other slopes nearby. But then you go back into the trees and ends by connecting to another trail going either down or up away from the original trail. I chose to go up and it takes you alongside an ATV/motorbike path. I followed this new trail for 2 miles and got bored of it. (So there might be a peak, but after about 4.5/5 miles I turned back).

Travis Rider
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Sep 13 2013
Hiking

Simply breathtaking woods the moment you set foot on the trail. I didn't hike far since it took me quite a long time to find the trailhead. I will most certainly be returning to hike the full length and experience the spectacular views I expect to find at the peak.

Timothy Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 02 2020
View Timothy's Recording
Mary Rosebrook
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon May 25 2020
View Mary's Recording
Bill Grace
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat May 23 2020
View Bill's Recording
Leann Marie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 23 2020
View Leann's Recording
Aaron Risken
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Apr 22 2020
View Aaron's Recording
David P.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Apr 11 2020
View David's Recording
Turner McCulley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Sep 08 2019
View Turner's Recording
Kari Billigton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFri Sep 06 2019
View Kari's Recording
Jenifer Rossini
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Sep 08 2018
Jessica Zachek
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat May 28 2016
View Jessica's Recording
Travis Rider
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Sep 22 2013
View Travis's Recording