Sand Mountain Lookout Trail

Sand Mountain Lookout Trail is a 4.6 mile out and back trail located near Harvard, Idaho that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

We set up a campsite near the head of the trail. It was beautiful out there and we were having a wonderful time until it started to get dark. We had built a fire and were winding down when my dog growled at the forest behind us. We looked back and scanned the forest. There was a large adult mountain lion standing about 200 feet from our camp, staring directly at us. We stood up and stared at it, not daring to look away in case it moved. We backed slowly to our car and saw it turn around and go up the mountain away from us, so we quickly took down our camp and put out the fire and drove away. So this area must be part of the lion's territory, which may not be a problem during the day as they are nocturnal but still be cautioned. I wouldn't recommend camping around here unless you're prepared to face the lion. Nonetheless it is a beautiful area and the hike is very nice.

Friday, June 03, 2016

It is a good hike, but there isn't really a peak. The trees clear near the "top" and give a good view of other slopes nearby. But then you go back into the trees and ends by connecting to another trail going either down or up away from the original trail. I chose to go up and it takes you alongside an ATV/motorbike path. I followed this new trail for 2 miles and got bored of it. (So there might be a peak, but after about 4.5/5 miles I turned back).

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Friday, September 13, 2013

Simply breathtaking woods the moment you set foot on the trail. I didn't hike far since it took me quite a long time to find the trailhead. I will most certainly be returning to hike the full length and experience the spectacular views I expect to find at the peak.