North Idaho Centennial Trail: Rutledge Trailhead

North Idaho Centennial Trail: Rutledge Trailhead is a 10.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Coeur d'Alene, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

scenic driving

Rutledge Trailhead is part of the North Idaho Centennial Trail. The Rutledge Trailhead follows the northeastern shore of Coeur d’Alene Lake, beginning at coordinates 47.661392, -116.748348, and terminating at Higgins Point. There is a well-maintained parking area at the trailhead, with a rest area and restrooms. The trail is wheelchair accessible at various points along the trail. There are also restrooms along the trail. There are various exercise stations along this trail, with clear instructions for their use. At Higgens Point, there is a scenic picnic area. Rutledge Trailhead is paved, wide enough for multiple users to pass, and well-maintained. Although there can be snow and ice accumulation in the winter time, it is still usable most days of the year. There are scenic views of the lake at almost every point of this trail. This trail also has more hills than any other portion of the North Idaho Centennial Trail system. The trail is roughly 5 miles in length, for a total of 10 miles out and back. Although this trail is not clearly contiguous with the main section of the North Idaho Centennial Trail, it is possible to connect to the North Idaho Centennial Trail sections to the west, by following city bike paths. Note that Higgens Point is the furthest point east that one can walk or ride a bicycle. Beyond this, is access to I-90, for motor vehicles only.

From Coeur d'Alene you go to Higgins Point, and from there you have to go back again ?? (a very short ride on the bike if you're out for some excercise) The views of the lake are fine, but a lot of traffic/noise on the road. Unfortunately

It was my buddy’s birthday today. He turned 75. He went to the gym in the morning, hiked Mineral Ridge after that, and was getting bored, so he called me to ride bicycles on Rutledge Trailhead, or as the locals refer to it, “Higgen’s Point Trail.” At 10 miles, this is not a really long ride for a bike, but some of the hills will daunt to a degree, the resolve of all but hardcore bike riders. We rode to Higgens Point, and on the way back, my buddy stopped at the pull up bars, to knock out 20 pull ups, just to show off. If I am fortunate enough to live to be 75, I will be grateful if I can even pull up my own pants.

I have ridden this trail multiple times before, but today, I decided to add it to the trail lists on AllTrails. AllTrails has turned into a hobby for me, (maybe a religion, haha!) and I have really started to enjoy exploring the trails on AllTrails, and finding new ones to add to the awesome database. I’ve been like a missionary lately, whenever I meet someone on a trail, I ask if they have heard of AllTrails. It is my goal to find and add ten new awesome trails this summer. But I digress!

Rutledge Trailhead is a really nice spot to go for a walk along the shore of Coeur d’Alene Lake. I saw lots of people walking their dogs today. One of the dogs got so excited when we passed on bicycles, that I stopped to give it a little love. The views of the lake are lovely! There is usually a cool wind blowing off this end of the lake. In the summer, that is a plus, in the winter, not so much!

I have taken a few evening walks along this trail before. The exercise stations along the way, are tempting, almost making it impossible to not try them out a little. Lastly, this is such a nice trail, so smooth and well-maintained, that it would be paradise for a wheelchair rider. There are many assisted living homes in North Idaho. I am planning to see if I can find someplace to volunteer to help with outdoors activities. This would be such a nice place to share with an elderly shut in!