Learn more

Revett Lake is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Murray, Idaho that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and fishing and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 3.3 mi Elevation gain 718 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (263)
Recordings (110)
Completed (391)
Regan Fencl
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 9, 2020
BackpackingGreat!Rocky

Revett Lake, in my opinion, is a great beginners backpacking trip. It's pretty short and mostly up hill. Some very treacherous rocks to get over, but nothing I would label as terribly challenging. The lake has lots of campsites around it and has fish in it for the catching (I did catch one!). It was rather windy for me, and quite cold at night (I started to see my breath!), so bring things to keep you warm. It was also VERY popular, most likely due to the ease of access, so there's a lot of people there. There is no cell service here though, so a great place to disconnect. Very few bugs going in, but once at the lake, there's quite a bit. There's a dirt road at the beginning that you can drive up. I didn't know if that was allowed or not, but at the end of the road was parking, so you can save yourself some walking.

K Eggs
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 7, 2020
BackpackingGreat!

Very easy, wide trail from the trailhead to the lake. Once at the lake, the trail around is much more narrow. Nice day hike, quick in/out trip. Was weekday but still a moderate number of people. Handful of campgrounds around the lake but all are on the trail so expect people to be walking through your camp, especially the closer you are to the access trail. Few bugs which was nice, but it was a breezy day. Access road from Thompson Trailhead is 1 mile, sharp rocks and narrow—scratched SUV paint pretty badly actually. Not sure how productive fishing would be, think I’d need a float tube. Overall a nice lake.

Sara Walter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 5, 2020
HikingGreat!

This is a beautiful hike up to a lovely lake. We hiked this trail with our kids and they loved it. The trail passes over some scree fields where we could hear pikas. The views along the trail up to the lake are gorgeous. The lake makes a great stop for lunch and we saw a couple deer across the lake.

Lacy H
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 4, 2020
CampingGreat!

Hiked this trail on July 31st. Trail is pretty easy, but it is rocky in certain spots so you have to watch your step. I may have tripped a couple times. Trail was a mix of sunny and shady, which was nice. The views are gorgeous. I camped in a small clearing by the lake. Despite being one of the hottest days of the year, the temp at the top was comfortable and got cool in the evening. It was fun to watch the sun set on the lake ridge. The fish become very active at dusk and you can watch them jump out of the water to catch bugs. Definitely take bug spray, as they were tenacious despite my feeling saturated in bug repellant. There are lots of little clearings around the lake to camp, but go early as the best spots fill up early in the day.

Josh Oakes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 29, 2020
Backpacking

My son and I set out on the trail for a short overnight backpacking trip. We had a great adventure. The trail is a pretty easy, and the lake water is very refreshing. The area was very busy. This is definitely not the place to go if you want to get away from people. Also, make sure to bring bug spray. The mosquitoes were pretty thick while we were there.

View Josh's Recording
Cam Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2020
Hiking

Awesome trail. Trailhead Road would be fine for most cars however at 11am parking at the end was full. The road to the trailhead doubles the distance.

View Cam's Recording
Virginia Grob
Hiking

Beautiful mountain trail. Hiked it on Thursday, July 16th. Weather was great. Trail is mostly shaded with gorgeous streams and trees to view along the way. Lake was crystal clear and calm. Saw about a dozen other people while we were out. Trail is clearly marked and easy to follow.

Douglas Pulsipher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 21, 2020
Hiking

Great easy hike to an Alpine Lake. Fun family outing followed by ice cream at Husky's. See it here - https://youtu.be/FIuzUX8R8-U

View Douglas's Recording
christen soria
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 20, 2020
Hiking

going to have to give this one a 10/10! Easy hike up, not too many people, the trail was easy to follow and the wow factor for such an easy climb.

Kathleen Ledvora
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 16, 2020

great quick hike. parked at the paved lot and walked up a dirt road to the trail head, well maintained trail all the way to the lake

Pri Bhargava
Hiking

Great trial, well maintained. Good for families or an easy walk. Parked at lot and walked to trailhead which added a little mileage

Megan Potter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 14, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful mountain lake, great trail for the whole family. This is a popular spot! Lots of people fishing and only small Brooke trout to catch. Dirt road to trailhead from parking lot was a bit rough and rocky but doable. Narrow in a few spots but plenty of room to park and turn around at the TH. There were at least 15 cars parked there when we left on a Saturday afternoon. My son and I backpacked in and camped 2 nights. It was his first backpacking trip at 11 yo. He doesn’t like hiking but he did great. He loved it. The lake is so beautiful, clean and campsites were awesome. There’s about 3 campsites to the west of the river outlet and about 2 to the east of the river and one on the other end of the lake. I recommend taking the trail around the lake to the East after rock hopping across the river. Lots of fallen trees but doable. The trail around the lake is 1 mile and gets quite choppy around the SouthWest corner of the lake. But you can find your way over a few trees and make it all the way around. We went around July 10th and camped to the west of the river and trailhead. Beautiful roomy campsites. Our only difficulty was finding wood to burn. Not a lot of down/dead wood to burn! We ended up hauling a down tree from up the trail and had to chop it up. Bring something to cut wood! Lots of fallen wood to burn on the east side of the lake where there are no campsites. Of course. The huckleberry bushes are everywhere but were only blossoming in early July. This will be a goldmine for huckleberries in a few weeks! We did not hang our food in a tree and were not bothered by any bears. We did however see chipmunks, a deer ran through our campsite, I saw a Pine Marten on the east side of the lake, we saw an Osprey, Brooke trout, small snakes, and no mosquitos!! Lots of flys and bumblebees and yellow jackets. Such a beautiful place. With so much traffic, please keep this place beautiful! Pack it out, bury it , and leave no trace.

Alissa McKee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 12, 2020
Hiking

One of the most beautiful trails I’ve taken yet! We parked at the road instead of the trailhead (keep in mind this adds about 2.5-3 miles to the round trip!) and it’s a steady incline walk to the trailhead. I’m not in the greatest hiking shape so this one wiped me out but it was well worth it! Not too terribly long, was just under 4 hours round trip for us with a good half hour stop at the lake. We went at sunset and it was beautiful. I hiked it in Tevas and was comfortable, no scrambling needed, just a couple small downed trees here and there. Bring a light pack for a day trip!

Jason Barnes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 11, 2020
Hiking

Easy, short hike but with some vertical. Gorgeous views! Beautiful area and destination. Don’t hesitate to drive all the way to the end of the road and the trailhead if you have any reason. There’s some parking at the end of the road, and enough room to turn around if your vehicle isn’t too big.

Courtney Erin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 1, 2020
Hiking

This trailhead shares a parking area with the Blossom Lakes Trail. The trail head is one mile in on a one lane road, which is flat and walkable. Parking near the trailhead is not recommended as there is not much room to park or turn around. Trail is easy, pretty and good for kids and dogs. Rained all day there today and lake was not visible in the fog

Stan Petersen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 23, 2020
HikingGreat!

I hiked to Revett on Tuesday and the trail was very good, with only a few spots with snow near the falls and again close to the lake. All were easy to cross. I went with the idea of taking some good landscapes of the lake, but it was covered with conifer pollen and a bit unsightly as a result. Altogether a good hike, though.

Mitchell Elting
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 20, 2020
Hiking

I've seen a lot of people on various FB pages asking for trail conditions of Revett Lake, and I'm here to report that it is definitely ready for hiking! There is still a little bit of snow covering minimal parts of the trail, but it had decreased significantly even over the few hours we were there, so I'd imagine the trail will be completely clear over the next couple days - certainly by next weekend! Happy hiking!!

Daniel Hubbard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 13, 2020
Hiking

Hiked this with my four legged friend Meeko on 6/13/20. Parked at the Thompson Pass Trailhead along with three other vehicles. It was raining, windy, slippery and a bit chilly........but that just gives this easy hike more of a challenge. The only problem I had was losing the trail when I got to the SNOW COVERED braided creek area. Walking over snow when you just know there is water running under it is just dangerous. Good waterproof boots, high quality breathable rain gear and a hiking stick are key in these conditions. The hike was on snow from the creek to the lake. The lake was covered in ice sheets and wow that alpine lake air bites. I did pass four people on the trail up. When I got back to the trailhead my vehicle was the only one there. Snowshoes would be overkill on this trail in these conditions...... the snow was very dense.

Anthony York
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 31, 2020

30May2020. Made it to the Lake while carrying a 37 lb toddler on my back. Other hikers we spoke to said they didn't make it to the the lake because they couldn't find a place to cross the creek. We crossed on a big but sketchy log. Lake was completely frozen over, slush on the edges. Trail is mostly covered by snow. Past the waterfall it is completely snow covered. Brought snow shoes but did not use them. Hiking poles were essential for me, but wife didn't use any. Post holed quite a few times; surprised I didn't get hurt. Didn't follow the "trail". Used the AllTrails app to see approximately where we were at and found our own way (never been up there before). Had to park a ways down from the actual trailhead so I didn't scrape up my car with branches. There were a couple vehicles at the actual trailhead, so it is possible to make it there through the snow. Total moving time out and back for r us was 3 hours. Note to any first timers. If you put Revett Lake in Google Maps, it might take you to somewhere northeast of Wallace Idaho. That is not how you should access Revett Lake (trust me, I went that way my first try, also Coopers Pass is snowed over and impassable right now). You should be coming into the trailhead from Thompsons Pass on the Idaho/Montana border.

Mike Moore
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 30, 2020
HikingIcyMuddySnow

Attempted to get to the lake today 29 May, lots of snow, the snow is getting soft, post holed a few places, fell hip deep into snow pockets a few places, could not find a suitable crossing point on the creek so opted to turn back. Flew the drone up to take photos of the lake and it is frozen but stunning!

Shannon B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 25, 2020
HikingSnow

The trail is covered in snow. Micro spikes will go a long way in assisting you in the soft, slushy snow especially in the scree fields. It’s easy to lose the trail so if you make the hike a favorite in this app, you can reference it even though there’s no service. Care should be taken not to fall through the snow around the waterfalls.

brian youngwirth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 11, 2020

snowshoes are a hikers best Friend for the next couple of weeks. always a fun trip!

Daniel Mitchell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 9, 2020
HikingSnow

We hiked this trail yesterday, I came across a number of people who misjudged the trail conditions entirely, so I thought I should leave a review. First of all, you cannot drive to the trail head. You park near the highway, and walk up the road about a mile, one way, to reach the trail head. The road through Thompson Pass is completely cleared of snow. The trail to Revett Lake is completed covered in snow. If you think you will be enjoying an easy stroll to the lake and back, I can assure you that you shall not. If you bring 50 pounds of gear on your back, you will likely have a hard go at this trail right now. Also, many people have hiked this recently, and most of them deviated from the proper trail, traversing the heights above the lake, instead of reaching the lake. Do not follow all of the tracks leading up the side of the mountain in the snow. Choose the road less traveled! Study a map before you go or keep your eye on a GPS, if you want to see the lake - Which is still frozen over and looks like a valley full of snow.

Danny Cook
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 12, 2019
HikingBlowdownIcySnow

11/11/19 Beautiful views include several waterfalls, frozen lake, huge pine forest... look like old growth trees, trail is ice covered and quite slippery in many places but well worth the hike. Planning to return for an over night camp out in the early summer.

Brad Moulton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 12, 2019
Hiking

Not sure why it says this is a loop trail...lol. The loop around the lake is not maintained in any way. BEAUTIFUL trail up to the lake for sure though