Rapid River Trail is a 8.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Riggins, Idaho that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, camping, horses, and backpacking. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,384 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Beautiful trail, single track mostly in good condition but my puppy and I only did about 1/3 of it for several reasons 1. We got there late 2. Looked like a storm rolling in 3. Pretty fresh bear scat on trail So since I don’t tug on Superman’s cape or spit into the wind, we turned back I am hoping to get up there again before we leave the area. Like our adventures on our travel page on Facebook,” Apackof2 for the Road” Follow us on Twitter, “Apackof2fortheRd”

About 1.5 miles in just after the first bridge the trail has been taken out by a rockslide. It wasn’t passable and we had to turn back. I’ve hiked this trail in the spring, and it’s amazing—we were pretty bummed to encounter the rock slide this time.

Good trail with beautiful views. 2 different difficulties, one trail is very easy for those who like to sit back and relax, and one trail I would consider difficult, with a drop off to the river on one side of the narrow trail. Although beautiful, it can be a little nervwrecking, more for the very experienced. Would recommend if you like to explore.

Lovely in the spring! Wildflowers, gorgeous canyon. Trail in great shape.

Unexpected beauty around every bend. Wildflowers were in bloom, river was roaring, and the trail was pretty well maintained. There was a lot of over growth along the river due to all the moisture and there are a lot of loose rocks. Be on the lookout for poison oak and rattlesnakes. Long pants and sturdy shoes are a MUST!

Beautiful backpacking trail recommended by a friend! Had a great time camping on Potters Flat a little over 7 miles in. We accidentally passed it the first time and ended up hiking 9 miles so keep a map handy and look out for a clearing. There were other camp sites along the way just after the 4 mile marker that would’ve been great as well. One thing I didn’t see on here so far is be VERY careful of snakes in this trail. My friends and I saw 6 snakes, 3 of them rattle snakes and 2 of them were slightly aggressive. Do not try to provoke them by throwing rocks just wait until it moves off the trail and walk slowly as not to startle it. I was told to walk by it with a jacket in front of my ankles that way the snake can’t see you anymore and won’t feel threatened. Besides that, gorgeous views of the Little Salmon and cool vegetation. Terrain is rolling hills nothing too steep pretty good for moderately experienced backpackers and hikers!

Awesome hike! Did this summer of 2017 and it was amazing. Loved it.

gorgeous the whole way through. went in early May so not a lot of bugs yet but there were a lot of butterflies. lots of wild flowers.

Really gorgeous trail. We were worried that early May might still be a little early in the season, but the weather was incredible and there were wild flowers and butterflies everywhere. This is easily one of my favorite hikes I've done in Idaho, and certainly one of the most beautiful. Pictures don't do it justice. No particularly steep descents/ascents, but a lot of continuous up and down making the trail a decent workout. The trail is well defined, and is safe for less experienced hikers or families. There are two campsites along the river about 3 miles in that both looked fairly nice. Two bridges served as mile markers on the trail, one at the ~1 mile mark, and a second at the ~4 mile mark, just before the junction that takes you to Potter's Flat. Potter's Flat is another ~1 mile past the junction. We didn't continue on that far, but there are supposed to be more campsites there.

Great hike highly recommend The road to hells canyon was closed so used AllTrails to find an alternative back pack trip and was not disappointed at all with this hike

My friend and dog backpacked in and camped at the 2nd very nice site about 3.3 miles in. We then day hiked on both the Wyatt side (right) and the West Fork (left). These both had excellent camp sites on the river. On the Wyatt side, there is an grave for J. Jones from a mining accident in 1889. We were told there was a mine but did not see the mine.

Just did this trip, we hiked to wyatt camp around 8.8 miles out. very nice hike, the trail maintenance fell off quite a bit once you get to the west fork bridge. No foliage yet but may be difficult to pass later in the year. several shed hunters out there. only bugs we encounter were lady beetles and spiders. Amazing canyon view the colors were insane.

Saturday, July 07, 2018

Nice trail close to Riggins. It starts out a bit dry and warm but once you get near the water it is a comfortable hike. We did have to deal with the poison ivy but it was easily avoided.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Had a great overnight backpacking trip on the West Fork, about 5.5-5.75 miles from the trailhead. This is a decently used and well taken care of trail with some poison ivy along the way, but you should be fine if you wear long pants. Be prepared for a climb after you cross the second bridge and take the trail up the west fork, there’s a significant elevation gain before you reach the first of the campsites. River was accessible off and on for water after the first few miles of the hike (don’t forget to filter!) Overall, beautiful views and great hike!

Sunday, April 29, 2018

Great views. We picked this location because the mountain trails still had snow, but it might as well have been summer here! There is at least one fish in the river. More than that, I can't confirm.

Saturday, April 14, 2018

Awesome! Great hike. Beautiful scenery.

Thursday, March 15, 2018

So beautiful! I loved how one minute you’re down by the river and the next high up along the ridge.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

such a beautiful, clean, well taken care of trail. The creek lives up to its name! excellent trail for dogs.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Beautiful hike.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Awesome trail, it's very well taken care of and a beautiful all day hike.

paddle sports