Rapid River Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(50)
Riggins, Idaho

Rapid River Trail is a 13.8 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Riggins, Idaho that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, camping, horses, and backpacking. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 13.8 km Elevation Gain: 422 m Route Type: Out & Back

love this hike, took my grandson for his first backpacking and he loved it, a lot of wildflowers, the trail is in great shape and easy for first backpacking.

Great, 16 mile day hike. Went left at the fork and followed the rapid river trail no. 59 until Wyant camp. After you cross the bridge, the trail is less trafficked and pretty over grown. Interested to see where the right of the fork takes you, I guess I’ll have to come back. Cheers!

Absolutely loved this hike! There is some dispersed camping available, and people have been good about packing in/out. Potential evidence of cougars, so take appropriate precautions.

Awesome hike, rockin river. Went in mid may and it was Gorgeous. Lots of wildflowers. Hike through a canyon surrounded by lush green hills.

Lots of hiking possibilities! Busy trail!

awesome three day hike, absolutely beautiful country. some easy trekking and some difficulty, did s total of 7 miles round trip, there's a good stretch where your ascending for about a mile, single track with drop off to river side, good blasalt and granite rock. beautiful.

Beautiful trail, single track mostly in good condition but my puppy and I only did about 1/3 of it for several reasons 1. We got there late 2. Looked like a storm rolling in 3. Pretty fresh bear scat on trail So since I don’t tug on Superman’s cape or spit into the wind, we turned back I am hoping to get up there again before we leave the area. Like our adventures on our travel page on Facebook,” Apackof2 for the Road” Follow us on Twitter, “Apackof2fortheRd”

About 1.5 miles in just after the first bridge the trail has been taken out by a rockslide. It wasn’t passable and we had to turn back. I’ve hiked this trail in the spring, and it’s amazing—we were pretty bummed to encounter the rock slide this time.

Good trail with beautiful views. 2 different difficulties, one trail is very easy for those who like to sit back and relax, and one trail I would consider difficult, with a drop off to the river on one side of the narrow trail. Although beautiful, it can be a little nervwrecking, more for the very experienced. Would recommend if you like to explore.

Lovely in the spring! Wildflowers, gorgeous canyon. Trail in great shape.

Unexpected beauty around every bend. Wildflowers were in bloom, river was roaring, and the trail was pretty well maintained. There was a lot of over growth along the river due to all the moisture and there are a lot of loose rocks. Be on the lookout for poison oak and rattlesnakes. Long pants and sturdy shoes are a MUST!

Beautiful backpacking trail recommended by a friend! Had a great time camping on Potters Flat a little over 7 miles in. We accidentally passed it the first time and ended up hiking 9 miles so keep a map handy and look out for a clearing. There were other camp sites along the way just after the 4 mile marker that would’ve been great as well. One thing I didn’t see on here so far is be VERY careful of snakes in this trail. My friends and I saw 6 snakes, 3 of them rattle snakes and 2 of them were slightly aggressive. Do not try to provoke them by throwing rocks just wait until it moves off the trail and walk slowly as not to startle it. I was told to walk by it with a jacket in front of my ankles that way the snake can’t see you anymore and won’t feel threatened. Besides that, gorgeous views of the Little Salmon and cool vegetation. Terrain is rolling hills nothing too steep pretty good for moderately experienced backpackers and hikers!

Mon May 06 2019

Awesome hike! Did this summer of 2017 and it was amazing. Loved it.

Sun May 05 2019

gorgeous the whole way through. went in early May so not a lot of bugs yet but there were a lot of butterflies. lots of wild flowers.

Sat May 04 2019

Really gorgeous trail. We were worried that early May might still be a little early in the season, but the weather was incredible and there were wild flowers and butterflies everywhere. This is easily one of my favorite hikes I've done in Idaho, and certainly one of the most beautiful. Pictures don't do it justice. No particularly steep descents/ascents, but a lot of continuous up and down making the trail a decent workout. The trail is well defined, and is safe for less experienced hikers or families. There are two campsites along the river about 3 miles in that both looked fairly nice. Two bridges served as mile markers on the trail, one at the ~1 mile mark, and a second at the ~4 mile mark, just before the junction that takes you to Potter's Flat. Potter's Flat is another ~1 mile past the junction. We didn't continue on that far, but there are supposed to be more campsites there.

Mon Apr 22 2019

Great hike highly recommend The road to hells canyon was closed so used AllTrails to find an alternative back pack trip and was not disappointed at all with this hike

Thu Apr 11 2019

My friend and dog backpacked in and camped at the 2nd very nice site about 3.3 miles in. We then day hiked on both the Wyatt side (right) and the West Fork (left). These both had excellent camp sites on the river. On the Wyatt side, there is an grave for J. Jones from a mining accident in 1889. We were told there was a mine but did not see the mine.

Tue Apr 02 2019

Just did this trip, we hiked to wyatt camp around 8.8 miles out. very nice hike, the trail maintenance fell off quite a bit once you get to the west fork bridge. No foliage yet but may be difficult to pass later in the year. several shed hunters out there. only bugs we encounter were lady beetles and spiders. Amazing canyon view the colors were insane.

Sat Jul 07 2018

Nice trail close to Riggins. It starts out a bit dry and warm but once you get near the water it is a comfortable hike. We did have to deal with the poison ivy but it was easily avoided.

Tue May 29 2018

Had a great overnight backpacking trip on the West Fork, about 5.5-5.75 miles from the trailhead. This is a decently used and well taken care of trail with some poison ivy along the way, but you should be fine if you wear long pants. Be prepared for a climb after you cross the second bridge and take the trail up the west fork, there’s a significant elevation gain before you reach the first of the campsites. River was accessible off and on for water after the first few miles of the hike (don’t forget to filter!) Overall, beautiful views and great hike!

Sun Apr 29 2018

Great views. We picked this location because the mountain trails still had snow, but it might as well have been summer here! There is at least one fish in the river. More than that, I can't confirm.

Sat Apr 14 2018

Awesome! Great hike. Beautiful scenery.

Thu Mar 15 2018

So beautiful! I loved how one minute you’re down by the river and the next high up along the ridge.

Wed Aug 16 2017

such a beautiful, clean, well taken care of trail. The creek lives up to its name! excellent trail for dogs.

Tue Aug 30 2016

Beautiful hike.

Tue May 31 2016

Awesome trail, it's very well taken care of and a beautiful all day hike.

Fri May 19 2006

We did this trip for 2 days and it was fantastic. The canyon is beautiful this time of year and the river is running very high. The trail is washed out in numerous places which makes for some extra excitement. We were able to drink out of the streams that empty into Rapid River and they were great. We found numerous camping sites past the 2nd bridge that were very nice. Ended up settling on a place just before a creek that you have to jump (about 5 miles in) There was a fire ring, stumps to sit on, great place to pitch the tent and with the creek right there, it was perfect. On the way out the river had risen more and which made for 9 times of crossing water, glad I had my gortex lined boots! Great time, trails and place.