Pyramid and Ball Lakes Trail

Pyramid and Ball Lakes Trail is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bonners Ferry, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,466 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I hiked this trail yesterday. The road to the trail head is a mess. There are fallen trees all over. There is also snow on the road for a few miles. I would not attempt this drive without 4 wheel drive and some good tires and maybe chains for back up. The trail to Pyramid Lake has about 3-4 inches on it for the entire length. The trail to Ball Lakes has snow ranging in depth from 4 to 2-1/2 feet. My friend and I blazed the trail. (Apparently we were the only ones dumb enough to do it.) It was an exhausting climb to Ball Lakes. Beyond the initial switch back above Pyramid Lake, we lost the trail beneath the deep snow, and went overland to find Ball Lakes. We could have used some snow shoes.

a beautiful Trail. I also hike to trout in Fisher Lakes. If anybody finds a set of keys with a whistle and a orange ribbon that says Cardiff please let me know thanks

Beautiful hike. Would definitely do again. Parking lot is small so do recommend getting there early. Road in is rough, watch for speeding vehicles coming down.

My Girlfriend and I just spent the night at Pyramid and hiked to the 2 Balls! (ha) The hike into Pyramid is easy to moderate, the hike up to Upper and Lower Ball is much more moderate gaining a bit of elevation pretty fast. Of the 2 Ball Lakes, Lower was probably my favorite. The bugs weren't too bad at any of the lakes, although have some if you plan to stay overnight at Pyramid. The road to the trail head isn't bad, my little Focus made it just fine and only bottomed out once on the way down due to driver error.

the trail is in good condition. there are a few very steep sections. the views are amazing

Easy in and out hike. great place to camp

Hiked with the family on 6/30/19 and it was gorgeous! We had the Ball Lakes all to ourselves. Trail was clear and it was perfect weather. A few people at Pyramid Lake. This is now one of our family favorites!

Sat Oct 13 2018

Loved this trail and felt the only challenging part was crossing the mountainside boulder fields on the way up to Ball Lake. We saw wolf tracks near each of these alpine lakes. The only down side was the last few miles on the drive up. Road was pretty rocky and rutted.

Sun Sep 30 2018

Stunning views, straightforward hike. Getting to the trailhead was interesting with rocks sticking up everywhere.

Sun Sep 23 2018

awesome hike!

Tue Sep 11 2018

Awesome

Wed Sep 05 2018

Amazing!

Thu Aug 23 2018

Loved this hike. The first 1.25 miles in to Pyramid Lake is really easy and the lake is gorgeous. Then you can hike up above it to Ball Lakes, and the view of Pyramid Lake on that trail is stunning. This part of the trail is steeper and pretty rocky. Ball Lakes look similar to Pyramid. I will definitely be back.

Tue Aug 21 2018

Amazing hike gorgeous views (even with all the smoke). Did some fishing at ball lake. would be a perfect fly fishing spot. Pyramid lake had some flat camp spots. would love to camp next time we go up.

Thu Aug 16 2018

Nice hike and was able to hike up to lower ball lake with a 1 year old and 2 month old. when we went there was a little bit of snow once we got past pyramid lake but it was easy to get by. it was a bit chilly, definitely not warm enough to jump in and swim though I can see how ball lake would be a great spot if the weather is right. saw a few backpackers that were hiking in to camp. looked like a lot of fun!!

Sun Aug 12 2018

This hike was amazing!!!!!! I highly recommend this hike to anyone who wants to fish or hike two to 3miles. It was a beautiful trail. If you are looking for a good up hill trail, that is well worth walking, you just found it.

Fri Jul 06 2018

Beautiful hiking trail and Lake!

Wed Jul 04 2018

Unseasonably cool for July, but that meant No Bugs...50 degrees and cloudy. Possibly also the reason we pretty much had the trail to ourselves. Although we didn’t make it to the top- the avalanche snow field at the halfway point didn’t bode well for us since we did not have crampons, yak tracks or snow shoes- and we sunk about 2 feet into the snowfield- we did enjoy the hike to that point because no bugs and no people are a great combination! Lower part of the trail to Pyramid Lake was quite easy....it seems much steeper heading up to Ball Lake. Even short hikes provide opportunities to explore new places and the beauty of the alpine lake and the wilderness... definitely worth another trip to make it to the Ball Lakes at the top!

Sat Jun 30 2018

My favourite hike!!! Super easy too.

Tue Oct 10 2017

Great trail, views and lakes that are seen vs the effort to get to them is unmatched in the area. Starting to have a little snow cover and we saw a bunch of small black bear tracks on the trail.

Sun Sep 24 2017

I gave this a 5 just because we took a off the beaten path up to the top of the ridge for some outstanding views. It wasn't easy (recording) and not recommend for the beginner hiker its steep and a bit hairy in a couple spots. The main trail is in great shape and is a nice little hike with good views and three lake all in a few miles.

Sat Sep 16 2017

Very easy hike for the 1.5 miles to Pyramid Lake. We had to turn around near the top of the switchbacks before Ball as the days are getting shorter. Spectacular views from these switchbacks and here the grade is moderate. Last mile to TH is rough. Don't need 4WD but low slung cars may lose an oil pan. Still had plump huckleberries despite bushes turning red for fall.

Sun Aug 20 2017

Hiked with 3year old and it was very manageable for him to hike. Some steep/rocky parts, and it took us about 1 hour to hike the 1.25 miles to Pyramid Lake. Want to return and camp!

Tue Aug 08 2017

I have only been to Pyramid Lake, and I enjoyed the trail to the lake, despite it being on the short side. I would recommend that overnight campers avoid camping on the side of the lake where the stream empties out, as it is semi swampy and we ran into bug problems in our camp. I recommend that people with a proper level of fitness follow the switchback that climbs the mountain above Pyramid lake. The views are impressive, and the rock formations at that level are quite unique. Beware of slick rock and steep drop offs at higher altitude in this area. Looking up from the lake , its obvious the potential danger, as there is massive rockfall from the mountain top to the lake, but it can be deceptive once you start climbing. Also, the access road is on the rocky side, so careful driving would be warranted. Parking is limited at trailhead, so it is highly recommended you try to arrive early in the day, or early on a weekend to avoid potential fines or lack of parking.

Tue Aug 08 2017

This is a great place to go backpacking. We went to upper Ball lake and had the whole lake to ourselves. A lot of smoke down in the valley from wild fires but it was clear and beautiful up at Ball

Fri Aug 04 2017

All the lakes up in this area are gorgeous. Trail is a bit short, but great views. Ball Lakes were great for a swim.

Sun Jul 09 2017

Stayed at Ball lake, hiked the overlook ridge. Patches of snow.

Mon Jun 19 2017

road is closed due to washout

Sun Nov 06 2016

On this 5th day of November, the road to the trail head was frosty, but manageable. The trail to Pyramid lake had about 6 inches of snow on it, and also had flowing streams of water in other places. It was a bit of a slippery walk, but the hike to Pyramid Lake was not too difficult to complete. The trail from Pyramid Lake to Ball Lakes was an entirely different story. The snow was about 1 foot deep at the beginning, averaged about 2 feet most of the way, and in some places got waist deep. I thrust my 3-1/2 foot hiking pole into it, and didn't hit bottom. The views were stunningly beautiful. However, I would say the trail is probably snowed in for the the rest of the year. Don't try it without snow gear!