Pulaski Tunnel Trail

Pulaski Tunnel Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Wallace, Idaho that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

The Pulaski Tunnel Trail (just a few miles from Wallace, ID) traces part of the route that Edward Pulaski’s crew followed during their escape from the 1910 fires. The trail’s two-mile course brings hikers to an overlook across the creek from the Nicholson mine entrance - better known as the Pulaski Tunnel. During a major forest fire in North Idaho in the late summer of 1910, “Big Ed” Pulaski’s firefighting crew got caught in the middle of a fire storm. Pulaski saved all but six of his 45-man firefighting crew, by forcing a march to the entrance of the nearby mine, hiding his crew inside, and holding them at gun point until the fire had abated. The route of this famous escape in 1910, is now an historical trail with interpretive signs along the way. The route follows along Placer Creek, and terminates at the entrance to the old mine. This is a four mile out and back trail, with considerable inclines in places. Allow two to four hours for the four-mile round trip to the Pulaski Tunnel overlook. Accessibility: First 725 feet of trail are accessible to visitors with disabilities.

Wonderful trail. I would highly recommend reading “The Big Burn” before you go. It gives a history of the fire that made this trail famous. It also gives a perspective of how tough those fire fighters were and what strong leadership Ed Pulaski and others provided in saving so many lives. Great hike for kids to learn about an important story of conversation and the formation of the US Forest Service.

Well maintained with mile markers every quarter mile and interpretive signs along the trail

Great trail with historic informative along the way
Recommend starting early as parking spaces are limited....loved the bridges, the creek, little waterfalls, scenery and nature
Recommend this trail to anyone

A lovely hike. It is a moderate trail, all up hill but not horrible. You follow a beautiful creek to the top, pretty little waterfalls along the way. You can hike off the trail to see the actual tunnel, great area history. If you are into geocaching there are 10 along the way, but look at the clues before going, service is spotty.

Beautiful trail with the creek running along it. Historical markers are interesting and it climbs a moderate amount to the top. The tunnel is down steep hill so be careful. Hard to believe they got horses in that tunnel! I have hiked this trail 3 times now and it's one of my favorites that I do whenever in Wallace.

Beautiful trail! The beginning wanders along the creek and provides shade and cool temps under the forest foliage. Plentiful waterfalls soothe ears and eyes. Later, the hike goes uphill. For those who feel tentative on hills, hiking poles might be helpful. The many interpretative signs tell the story of Ed Pulaski and western wildfires.

Great trail!
If we went again (which we will be), I'd definitely bring more water/CamelBaks because it gets steep and HOT! Worth the climb though with the beautiful little waterfalls and wildlife all around. There's plenty of spots to take a rest every quarter mile or so, but PLEASE pick up after yourself!! I can't believe how much trash we picked up along the way.

I am giving this trail a 5 even though we hiked in April, so we didn't make it to the end due to too much snow for our group. The trail was beautiful along the creek, and I would agree that it is well maintained. We still encountered more people than I was expecting, so I can imagine this trail is fairly busy when the conditions are more favorable. I can't wait to do this trail in full some day.

One of the best trails we've been on in Idaho! Well maintained, scenic and historic. Worth the drive.

Great trail with rich history, very tough people back in those days, I love the hike, and hope to try to do it once every year

Superbly well maintained and marked trail. Also contain plethora of information signs

great hike! we were visiting and found the trail easy. it is well maintained with lots of bridges to cross. nice little workout with historical information along the way.

Beautiful hike. Awesome history and cave at the end. Bring some water.

Hiked this today. My GPS had this hike at 4.5 miles with an ascent over 800 feet. Not much elevation but it comes in a short distance making it a challenge at times. There is no snow. The stream that parallels the trail has a lot of water flowing making for a more interesting hike.

Great hike, there was barely any snow left at the top. We loved it!

Absolutely breathtaking! Still snow, packed down but icy! Id wait a month or so before visiting!

4-18-18 Hike up to the tunnel today. We took our snowshoes along and needed them about mile and a half up the trail. Probably 65 today so lots of melting going on. Still a couple of feet of snow at the tunnel.

their is still 1-3 feet of snow on the trail most of the way. it was compact enough to stay on top of it (most the time) without falling through. I would wait at least a month if you don't want to deal with the snow.

Great trail!

Great snowshoeing trail. Really pretty along the creek. Trail is pretty well groomed for snowshoeing.

Beautiful trail with just the right amount of snow to make it a tiny bit more fun for the kids!

beautiful and historical hike!

It was a nice climb and beautiful views along the way! I'll be sure to hit this trail again.

Cool little hike that can be completed in a couple hours! Lots of history.

For more information and to get a better feel for the hike, I filmed it and threw it on YouTube. https://youtu.be/3twcjuqeDik.
Follow that link or search for 'Pulaski Trail - Wallace, Idaho.'

Hit that like button and subscribe as I plan on doing a lot more of these videos!

Well-maintained, excellent hike with brilliant fall foliage. Well worth it.

Monday, September 11, 2017

Great easy hike

Saturday, September 09, 2017

Very nice

Sunday, September 03, 2017

Can't find anything negative to say. Will do this one again for sure. Beautiful hike.

Friday, September 01, 2017

A decent afternoon hike. Lots of good history about the Big Burn (I recommend the book of the same name). The info boards are up to date and interesting. Trail is well-maintained but not very challenging. You can't access the mine entrance which became emergency shelter in 1910, but you can see it from the trail above (about 25-50 feet away).