Pettit and Toxaway Lakes Loop is a 17.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Galena, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is an amazing loop hike with beautiful natural features at nearly every turn of the trail. From craggy sawtooth peaks to numerous alpine lakes and dense forests with all manner of animals. Although fast packers may make this loop in a long day, there is enough natural features to keep one entertained for two nights or even three.

Great hike!! Planned on doing the loop in one day. Recorded - 19.2 Miles in 8.5 hours. Going sack to overnight it.

Epic run with amazing views on a well maintained trail!
As good as it gets!

Loved this trail! I added an excursion to Lake Imogene for a night. Also camped at Twin Lakes on a point that juts out into the water. Had the lake to myself. Woke up to a beautiful snowfall.

Was an intense yet wonderful day hike/run, stayed at the campground at Petit lake after, wish I would have brought backpacking gear to stretch out the scenery over another day.

Amazing views everywhere! We did this loop counter-clockwise over two days spending the night at Toxaway Lake. We went over Labor Day weekend so parking was very crowded, but seems like there are a lot of options for parking if the main lot fills up. We didn’t see a single mosquito this time of year. I highly recommend this loop!

Heavily trafficked but rad.

Absolutely amazing!

Son and I did this loop recently and found it to be well traveled but clean. We started at Pettit Lake and hiked our way clockwise going to Alice Lake first then over the pass to Toxaway Lake. Finally going to Farley Lake and finishing the loop back at the Tin Cup Trailhead.

We had a blast and look forward to our next hiking trip!

Great loop with beautiful views no matter where you look. We completed this loop in 2 days, although 3 may have been more leisurely. Plenty of campsites at Alice lake, probably our favorite views on the trip. Make sure to take a dip in the lake. Very refreshing (and cold!) after a long hike in. We noticed minimal choices for camping spots at Farley so decided to bypass and just hike out on day #2. Would have loved to stay longer and explore lakes beyond this loop. Also of note: seems as though most people were hiking this route counter clockwise and heading straight for Toxaway. We opted for the opposite and did clockwise staying at Alice. Fair amount of people on the trail even for the week. Bugs were out at dusk near the water but nothing a little DEET wont take care of. LEft with only one bug bite!

Great loop! This was our first time and we went to Alice lake first. Most people were going the opposite direction. Spent 2 nights and 3 days, splitting it into 6 miles per day roughly. So many pretty lakes and waterfalls. Plenty of spots to camp along the way. Mosquitos only seem to come out at night near water. We used 100% deet and it is nasty stuff but keeps them away. Late July meant warm nights. Loved this challenging hike! Bring your walking sticks.

My first solid backpack trip. Did 3 nights. July 20-23. Snowfield Pass was the the toughest part, but it was free of snow. I was plenty warm in my down bag at night since it was warmer than I expected. 100% Deet keeps the mosquitoes from biting. Plenty of water. Limited camping at Farley Lake. I broke it into four 5-mile days.

Overall a great trail with some pretty amazing views, this would be good for a two night trip but I had to do one night since the mosquitoes were so vicious, make sure to bring some good bug repellent. I would definitely do this loop again but in the later season.

Awesome backpacking area. Lots of water in the form of lakes, ponds, streams, and waterfalls. The views are amazing! Definitely a 2-3 day (bring plenty of mosquito spray). Not as much people as I thought there would be but all were friendly. If you have time, and are able, try the Snowyside Peak Scramble.

I loved this hike/run. I agree with others that it’s longer than the 17 miles indicated in the description. I tracked it at over 20. Last week in July meant the trail wasn’t too wet, though I had to remove shoes for one crossing. I went counter clockwise and thought the views were beautiful. Managed to run much of the route, apart from the rocky / craggy /scrabbly sections. Mosquitoes not a problem at all. Not crowded- Came across only about 8 groups along the way. Everyone cheerful and chill. Highly recommend starting early as car park at trailhead fills up and the heat was coming in by about 11-12.

Stellar views, and not too crowded, even over the 4th. The pass is still snow packed and there’s a narrow cornice to squeeze through, but there are footprints to follow over the snow packed areas where the trail disappears. Be warned, the mosquitoes are appalling, and are biting through bug repellant. They were so bad I turned my 2 nighter into an overnight and knocked out the remainder of the loop in a day.

This trail blew me away. Prepare to get your feet wet doing a half dozen or so stream crossings and significant hiking over snowpack. Doable in one day if you start very early and travel light. Plentiful sources of water along the way.

Great time to do before it gets crowded! We came out yesterday. Spent two nights and was surprised how good of a push the hiking was each day so don’t let the lack of major elevation fool you. We also clocked closer to 22 miles. Clockwise was the way to go with Alice first. Bit of snow coming over the summit totally passable but looked miserable for those coming up via Toxaway. Weather was amazing! Not too cold. Go soon before it gets busy!!

Very nice loop. We went by way of Alice Lake around to Toxaway. Lots of good scenery and alpine views. Still a good bit of snow going over the pass. We had to make our way without a trail for a good bit but found our way through. There was a cornice at the top of the pass so had to do some light scrambling over a rocky area to get past it. Think the milage is closer to 20 miles. Water is plentiful. Great trip.

Great hike with amazing views. We took our time and plenty of photos which averaged us out around 46 minutes/mile. (2 short days and 2 full days)

We enjoyed the trip best coming in from Pettit Lake to Toxaway first, going over the pass, then down by Alice Lake back to Pettit. Last year we started the other directions and we just preferred the other way personally.

Views are amazing. The pass was a challenge and a little sketchy if you aren’t used to snow/heights, but that was a first for me and it was accomplished, so doable. (June 22nd, 2018)

did the full loop june 15th and 16th.amazing scenery! very alpine lots of snow over the pass hard to find trail but doable for 3 miles between twin lakes and toxaway...worth it! creeks running high overall adventure and plenty of views and water.....Bring fishing pole!

This trail is amazing. The lakes along the hike are beautiful and full of trout. The campsites around the lakes are plentiful with great views of the lakes. If you like to fish/backpack this is a great trail. We did this Sept 13-17, 2017.

Loved it.

Beautiful at every turn. Would definitely go again. Met great people along the trail who told the best places to set up camp.

Was fantastic, went with the young men’s group. We can’t wait to do it again

Fantastic hike with spectacular views and sparkling mountain lakes. Don't forget the bug spray.

Monday, September 11, 2017

Beautiful wilderness. Was the perfect place to see the 2017 Eclipse! It was a bit overcrowded for the eclipse, but we got some good camping spots. We had one patch of snow that made finding the trail difficult when we did the hike back in August, but it wasn't terrible. The water was flowing great and the lakes were beautiful! Highly recommend this loop! We gave ourselves 4 days out there but could have easily done 3.

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

It was a beautiful hike! Challenging to do in 2 days, and would recommend splitting it up into 3. Bring lots of bug spray. There is plenty of running water, and don't forget your iodine tablets! You have to cross a few streams, so brining light weight water shoes is a good idea. However, you can find a way to cross most of them without having to change shoes. I started by heading to Alice Lake first. I would recommend heading toward Toxaway first.

Friday, August 25, 2017

Gorgeous hike! Be sure to bring lots of water and be prepped to get your feet wet because you cross 5 rivers on your way up to the lake. Definitely recommend!

Monday, August 21, 2017

18 of the best miles I've ever backpacked! Toxaway lake area spectacular. Other lake areas great too but a bit crowded due to all the 'eclipsers' out there this month.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

So much beautiful scenery it is hard to take it all in. Give yourself plenty of time to enjoy it. There are lakes and streams throughout the loop, meadows of wildflowers and the trail takes you up close and personal with the Sawtooths!