Pettit and Toxaway Lakes Loop

Pettit and Toxaway Lakes Loop is a 18.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Galena, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is an amazing loop hike with beautiful natural features at nearly every turn of the trail. From craggy sawtooth peaks to numerous alpine lakes and dense forests with all manner of animals. Although fast packers may make this loop in a long day, there is enough natural features to keep one entertained for two nights or even three.

Beautiful wilderness. Was the perfect place to see the 2017 Eclipse! It was a bit overcrowded for the eclipse, but we got some good camping spots. We had one patch of snow that made finding the trail difficult when we did the hike back in August, but it wasn't terrible. The water was flowing great and the lakes were beautiful! Highly recommend this loop! We gave ourselves 4 days out there but could have easily done 3.

It was a beautiful hike! Challenging to do in 2 days, and would recommend splitting it up into 3. Bring lots of bug spray. There is plenty of running water, and don't forget your iodine tablets! You have to cross a few streams, so brining light weight water shoes is a good idea. However, you can find a way to cross most of them without having to change shoes. I started by heading to Alice Lake first. I would recommend heading toward Toxaway first.

Gorgeous hike! Be sure to bring lots of water and be prepped to get your feet wet because you cross 5 rivers on your way up to the lake. Definitely recommend!

18 of the best miles I've ever backpacked! Toxaway lake area spectacular. Other lake areas great too but a bit crowded due to all the 'eclipsers' out there this month.

So much beautiful scenery it is hard to take it all in. Give yourself plenty of time to enjoy it. There are lakes and streams throughout the loop, meadows of wildflowers and the trail takes you up close and personal with the Sawtooths!

I loved this area of the world. Entirely remote, other places have a plethora of jet noises overhead, but this place allowed me to truly commune with nature. The trails were well groomed and the park staff were the best I've encountered; among other things they did warn us of the avalanche that occurred some weeks earlier. I know that conflicts, but nature happens. My only complaint are of the irresponsible people who don't grasp not leaving a trace. I suppose I didn't like the mosquitos either, but it's their home, not mine.

Alice Lake is by far one of the most spectacular lakes ever, and not too hard to get into.

I loved doing this counter-clockwise. Can be done as a day hike if you start at a decent hour in the summer.