Pettit and Taxaway Lakes Loop

Pettit and Taxaway Lakes Loop is a 18.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Galena, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is an amazing loop hike with beautiful natural features at nearly every turn of the trail. From craggy sawtooth peaks to numerous alpine lakes and dense forests with all manner of animals. Although fast packers may make this loop in a long day, there is enough natural features to keep one entertained for two nights or even three.

18 of the best miles I've ever backpacked! Toxaway lake area spectacular. Other lake areas great too but a bit crowded due to all the 'eclipsers' out there this month.

So much beautiful scenery it is hard to take it all in. Give yourself plenty of time to enjoy it. There are lakes and streams throughout the loop, meadows of wildflowers and the trail takes you up close and personal with the Sawtooths!

I loved this area of the world. Entirely remote, other places have a plethora of jet noises overhead, but this place allowed me to truly commune with nature. The trails were well groomed and the park staff were the best I've encountered; among other things they did warn us of the avalanche that occurred some weeks earlier. I know that conflicts, but nature happens. My only complaint are of the irresponsible people who don't grasp not leaving a trace. I suppose I didn't like the mosquitos either, but it's their home, not mine.

Alice Lake is by far one of the most spectacular lakes ever, and not too hard to get into.

I loved doing this counter-clockwise. Can be done as a day hike if you start at a decent hour in the summer.

We've camped here twice now. We slept by the water, caught the biggest fish on our hike, and watched the sunset turn the mountains red. Absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait to come back.

Amazing. Overnight hike. Limited places to pitch a tent near the lake shore but beautiful place to spend the evening.

This trail was "Spectacular " I will be back many times to come!

We hiked this trail in October and left the only human footprints in the first snow of fall for 2 days. We walked to Toxaway Lake first night, then over the pass the second day. The view over twin lakes was stunning. I would recommend doing the hike this direction as opposed to Alice Lake first.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Beautiful scenery, pass 6-7 lakes and hike alongside a creek most of the way- plenty of water availed for filtering. Trail relatively flat and easy going, incredible views.

Saturday, August 06, 2016

Sunday, July 31, 2016

First backpacking trip ✔️ Tough but worth every second. Go to Toxaway then to Alice, the view is unreal!

Friday, July 29, 2016

Great trail, great scenery. I went clockwise and enjoyed it. Twin Lakes has a great campground between the two lakes. Went in end of July 2016 and mosquitos weren't too bad. Also didn't seem very crowded.

Only downside is the horses leave poop all over the trail from Toxaway to Pettite and they have stamped down the trail from Farley to Pettite into a dust-bowl of misery.

Friday, July 29, 2016