Norton Lakes is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ketchum, Idaho that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

off road driving

Uphill the entire time. The view is worth it though. We went pretty slow and it took us 1.5 hours to get up and 1 hour to get down.

Great hike! Well worth the uphill climb! Lake is beautiful at the end!

one of my favorite hikes

Hike had it all (other than a waterfall). Ended up on a different trail that brought us to the smallest, most beautiful lake first. Hubby and I were the only ones there. From there we went to the other 2 lakes. Feel like it was more than 4.6 mi & hubby didn’t believe me that it was “only a moderate.” Beautiful flowers, trees, views and lakes. Not crowded at all.

I struggled on the uphill portion of this hike. Before I left I didn't consider the change in altitude with the elevation gain. It was a challenging uphill hike for me and I huffed and puffed my way all the way to the lake. Despite my huffing and puffing, this was a fantastic hike. Scenery was so beautiful and varied. Lots of wild flowers, butterflies, and the view of the lake was worth the climb. I would definitely make the trek again!

This is one of our very favorite hikes in the area. If hiking on a hot summer day, definitely take a dip in the lake! So refreshing, but you won’t stay in long! We have hiked this many times, with kids and adults not used to hiking. It will challenge the latter but not bore the experienced hiker, who can always choose to go further :)

Awesome trail. Got there at 3pm, passed everyone coming down and there was absolutely no one up top. Water was perfect for a swim. Have good shoes, water and sun block, you’re in direct sun for about half the hike. Check it out in the winter, it’s beautiful

This was a LOVELY hike. While it says “moderate” for difficulty, there were some steep areas that were a bit challenging, especially for people coming from sea level, which was us. We are fairly fit, and there were definitely some areas of the trail that we were breathing hard. Wear solid shoes and bring water, especially in the summer. We arrived at about 9:00 on 7/27/18 and there were a few cars in the parking lot. The initial part is steep! Then it evens out, gets steep again and follows this pattern for about 2 miles. You will walk through meadows with awesome views of the craggy peaks to right and left. There were wild flowers, but not a profuse amount. The lake is beautiful and dipping your feet (or body!) is a must! Unless it’s cold and then don’t, lol! You can walk around the lake, although we didn’t. We did take a short trail up to the smaller lake, and it was lovely as well. You definitely will not regret doing this hike! We passed many people coming down and the parking lot was FULL. So....go early. This is a nice short hike and would give you time to do another in the afternoon.

Very busy trail. Hiked up to lower lake in the afternoon. Steady climb all the wa with nice views of surrounding peaks. Had expected to see more wildflowers as we had at Baker Lake that morning. Reached lake at 4pm and there was no one else there. Nice views across the lake and plenty of trout in the lake.

Hike was pretty easy. Not too far but it was mostly uphill all the way to the lake. There is a upper and a lower lake on this trail for anyone who didn’t know, so don’t forget to make it up to the upper. There was a lot of people on the trail, that’s my only complaint, but I’d recommend

Monday, October 09, 2017

Hiked it today. Quite chilly, but the steep grade kept me from getting too cold on the way up. I had my puffy on for the way down. A few patches of snow and ice but nothing too bad. You can take the trail all the way to Upper Norton Lake right now. I got snowed on during the hike back downhill. I guess I missed the waterfall. Really enjoyed this hike!

Sunday, September 03, 2017

Hiked October 16, 2016. Trail was clear until about halfway up when the snow was beginning to settle. We were able to use footprints from previous hikers to make our way to the lower lake. We were unable to hike further because there was too much snow and we weren't able to find trail markers.

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

This was a good, challenging hike with a great reward of a waterfall/ lake at the end! You won't have cell service before the first turn off, so be sure to study how to get there before you lose data. I would do this again!

Friday, August 04, 2017

Almost all uphill to get to the lake. It's a good trek but worth it to see the beautiful lake and waterfall on the way up. We really enjoyed this hike.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

This is just about as good as it gets. We have been hiking in Ketchum for a month and this trail is one of our favorites.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

The hike was great and relatively easy. We did this hike in the morning and another hike later that day. You have to drive to the trailhead a ways off from the main road. Would recommend

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Beautiful lake and hike. Was great place to spend half the day with the family. For the average hiker, we ranked it more in between moderate and strenuous.

Monday, June 12, 2017

We made a day trip from Boise for a trail hike and dinner in Ketchum. It was a gorgeous day in late June and for us, this trail was "as good as it gets!" Very little traffic, moderate elevation, spawning fish in the tiny creek feeding into the lake, snow along the trail, mountain air. Good times!

Monday, November 14, 2016

Great hike! Going in it's all pretty much up hill. Beautiful view, lake is great!

Thursday, July 14, 2016

This trail is mostly incline. The wildflowers and views throughout are truly breathtaking, nothing beats the turquoise waters at the destination.

Sunday, August 20, 2017