Mount Heinen

Mount Heinen is a 9.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Boise, Idaho that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from May until September.

Mount Heinen is close to Boise in the Boise Mountains. It is one of the 4 peaks that make up the 'Grand Slam' (the others are Cervidae, Shaw, and Kepros).

This hike was pretty at the start but the trailhead was not well marked and the beginning was straight up in sand and rocks no switchbacks. After the first 2 miles the trail became overgrown and hard to follow. So many false peaks and I was a bit worried there toward the end I would run out of water (had four liters). The last 3/4 mile I couldn’t even find where the trail was...I was tired of bushwhacking struggling to find the trail and turned around. With this being one of the Grand Slam Peaks it should be marked better and maintained a little more. While the views of sunrise were gorgeous over the lake at the beginning I don’t think I would want to do this one again.