Mount Borah Trail

Mount Borah Trail is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mackay, Idaho that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

rock climbing

Stand on the roof of Idaho! This is the highest peak in the Lost River Range of Idaho as well as the State's highpoint. The standard route to the top of this 12,662 ft peak is the Southwest Ridge from the Birch Springs Trailhead. This ascent of of over 5,250 feet in less than 4 miles is steep but can easily be done in a day. If it is early season you may want to bring an axe crampons and your mountaineering skills.

Kicked my butt, but loved every minute of it!! So worth it!

My father and I did this hike last year in early-mud August. It's an incredible hike and incredibly rewarding. The trail kicks your butt right from the get go, so definitely stretch out before embarking on a summit attempt. This site has the round trip mileage listed at 7.5, but that's only one way. It is 7.5 miles to the summit and 7.5 grueling miles back to your car. Start early, bring lots of water and snacks. we stayed the night at the trail head and then started climbing in the dark around 6 am and returned to our car at roughly 4pm. It's a trek to get to the top. I would not recommend it to people who have not climbed/hiked in this area or similar terrain before.

Hard hike for sure, but worth it! Leave early to beat the heat and potential storms that can come in the afternoons.

Start early

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Monday, July 25, 2016

Saturday, July 23, 2016

We camped about half way up on the saddle and it was great. Kinda had a natural block from the wind so no issues there. The climb was pretty rough and the stretch right before Chicken Out Ridge got me. I think if I was tied in I wouldn't have minded as much but the climb with pretty sheer drops had me pretty nervous. If you don't like heights you probably don't climb peaks and I'd stick with that motto here but if danger is your thing this is a nice peak.

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Super fun! Start early so your hike is in the cooler temperatures of the morning. Also, have good boots/shoes because the downhill was the worst part for me!

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

fly fishing
Thursday, October 01, 2015

Awesome hike truly. Unfortunately I hiked it this year when there was tons of smoke so the views at the top were somewhat limited, but still amazing. Definitely the most strenuous hike I did this summer. There is a lot of climbing involved. I saw no mention of it anywhere, but right before chicken out ridge you climb up this narrow crevice and then there is a rather intimidating point where you have to get past an almost sheer wall to get on this pathway above. There is one foothold that is pretty far out, and below you is a long fall with a lot of sharp rocks. I found this to be the sketchiest part of the hike.

Chicken out ridge had me worried but truly isn't that bad. Everyone says staying on top is the best course of action, but there is essentially a trail that goes along the left side that isn't hard to traverse at all. The only downside to this route is it required us to climb up most of chicken out ridge, but at the very end of this trail when you come to the area with the snowfall, there's a clear and easy climbing path to get back on top of the ridge. It is strenuous but I never felt in danger at that point.

Additionally after chicken out ridge there is a huge last stretch to climb me and my buddies called "Heartbreak hill." It is an incredibly steep portion that gains 1000 feet of elevation extremely quickly, and is a complete scramble. There is no trail and you are going almost straight up on the loose rock. This part is extremely physically taxing.

But the feeling of accomplishment at reaching the summit and the flag up there provides a truly great experience. And the golf club on top allows for some fun if you bring some golf balls.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Arrived at the trailhead at 6:00 am and got done just after noon. This is a hard hike, which is exactly what I was looking for. The elevation gains sap your energy and seem to never end. Chicken Out Ridge is extremely intimidating, until you just face it and get it over with. Once you're actually on the ridge it's not as bad as it looked. Saw one guy on our way out who was just standing at the bottom of chicken out ridge, unable to go on. The views were spectacular, not just at the top, but along the way as well.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015