Mores Creek Summit to Sunset Mountain

Mores Creek Summit to Sunset Mountain is a 9.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho City, Idaho that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great trail for the views. 9.5 miles and 2k elevation change. Only 4 hikers that I saw and 3 ATVs. Take plenty of water. This is a Forest Service road up to the summit

This was nicer than I expected. While it is an actual dirt road rather than a single trail, the vistas were spectacular. I headed off at 9am on a hot Sunday and only started coming across others on my way down. The whole thing took three hours and that included a side excursion at the top. . Think it would be too hot to head out after noon on days with high temps. It is a steep uphill but enough breaks to make it okay. An excellent break on the drive from Boise up to Stanley or beyond. Note: there were a few ATVs and dirt bikes but all were v polite road users and overall there wasn’t a constant flow. I felt I had the world to myself for most of the time.

Hiked this yesterday (7/21/18). Tough at first. Good incline to get one ready for a large mountain hike. Took about 3 hours to summit. Lots of shade and trees. Beautiful views along the way and absolutely gorgeous views at the summit! I will hike this one again!

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Great day hike! Snow is gone from the top, too. Nice views.

Monday, June 19, 2017

This was one of the hardest bike trails I have ever done, not because it is incredibly technical, but because the ascent is so steep. I would not advise inexperienced cyclists to try this trail simply because they may not enjoy it much. Coming down was a good time. I ended up ditching my bike for the last portion of the trail due to not wanting to hit/have to avoid the snow patches in the dark. Great scenery and would encourage hiking and camping in the area.

Monday, June 19, 2017

This was a great day hike. The trail was not terribly steep for the most part. Good FS road. The last 1/4 mile or so was still under several feet of snow, but it was not difficult to traverse, just slowed me down! Lots of signs of deer, elk, grouse. I saw bluebirds, woodpeckers, tanagers, goldfinches, raptors, ground squirrels. There is a "bonus" trail at the summit (Hungarian Ridge Trail) if you are still wanting more!

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Wow, that's a big hill climb! Made it to the summit 06/11/17. Last mile-ish was snow packed but walkable with poles. So grateful to have made a reservation at the hot springs post- hike. Beautiful snow-capped vistas.

Sunday, January 03, 2016

easy access at Mores Creek Summit parking turnout

mostly dual track forest service road, great views, wild flowers, with manned lookout