moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(31)
Boise National Forest

Moondipper Hot Spring and Pine Burl Hot Spring via Middle Fork Payette River Trail is a 7.9 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cascade, Idaho that features hot springs and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and fishing and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.9 km Elevation Gain: 134 m Route Type: Out & Back

hot springs

Skinnydipper Hot Spring is closed until 2021

Great hike though if you're doing this for the hot springs alone, there are better options near here. That being said, nice hike. A few marshy spots so be prepared for that. To get to the spring - towards the end of the hike, you'll have to cross a stream. Turn left once you cross the stream. It's 100ft up.

Perfect day. Started on the trail at 7:00am, walking through the fog and chilly breeze. Took about 45 minutes to get back to the springs. A few boggy and muddy spots. The sun broke through the fog about 45 minutes into the soak, and the day only became that much prettier. Had the entire trail to ourself both ways. Lots of cars on the way out because of Memorial Day Weekend.

I took this trail a few years ago during late September and it was very memorable for me. Depending on pace, it takes about 60-90 minutes to get to the hot springs. Some are a little hidden or farther along the trail (slightly off-trail), and coming across nude strangers is not unusual. There are some steep inclines and I crossed the river twice getting there, so this is a more moderate hike. I don’t recommend this for small kids. However, for me it was worth it. The pool I found had faucets connecting to the spring and a cool creek, so the temperature was adjustable; there’re also a few areas to pitch an overnight tent, but be sure to be responsible and pack out your trash. Additionally check ahead of time if fire is allowed; it wasn’t when I went and there’s a hefty fine if you ignore the hazard warning.

PACKED, and apparently everyone on the planet felt it necessary to bring their dogs, off leash, who love to jump up on every hiker. Of course the owners don't curb the dog's behavior because "its ok, he doesn't bite." --- Seriously, whether your dog bites or not is not the issue. The issue is if your 2 pit bulls charge at me and jumps for my face again...its gonna get a face full of bear spray. This place was once ok but now its overrun with loud hikers with loud music who do not clean up their garbage and let their dogs crap wherever they want.

very beautiful for a casual stroll in nature

Tue May 14 2019

My friend and I took our kids up this trail, 6, 7, and 9 years old. Having never been up here, I really wish we had known for sure where each of the hot springs was going to be. Boiling Springs is right where it is indicated on all the maps, but everything after that was our best guess. The trail has a place in the accent, after veering up away from the original path, that was pretty sketchy. I would NOT recommend this hike with kids. The drop off is pretty steep. I’m glad we did it, but really wishing we had been able to push through to the next hot spring.

Tue Mar 26 2019

A easy hike to Boiling springs. Then the trail almost disappears into a steep very sketchy hike! single track trail with steep drops if your footing gives out. Sadly most of the springs are little more than mud holes the elk love to wallow in. Last time we went the red mites and horse flies were so bad we didn't stay long. I would advise Pine Flats, Kirkham, or Firecrew hot springs anytime over Boiling Springs. Cheers, Happy Soaking!!

Thu Jul 05 2018

This was a very pleasant hike after a long drive up the Middle Fork Road. There are a lot of dirt bikes, ATV's, UTV's on the lower part of the road. Once you start to climb, they pretty much disappear. The hike first passes by Boiling Springs. The day was much too hot to stop here. There is no shade and no way to cool the hot pools. probably fantastic in cold weather! The trail follows the river and is shaded much of the way. We stopped at Moon Dipper hot springs. Our timing was just right, as we had the pools to ourselves. We heard they were very crowded earlier. The water temp was nice, but required some periodic swirling to keep it that way. Pine Burl hot spring was just around the bend, but we did not visit this time!

Wed May 09 2018

I hiked this trail in May 2017 and there was still snow in some places. Due to the very snowy winter, the river was running very high and had washed out a portion of the trail. I'm not sure if it has been fixed since, but it is possible to hike up and around it safely. The hot springs on Dash Creek near the end of the trail were also washed over due to high water, but Boiling Springs near the trailhead was accessible. The trailhead shares a parking lot with Boiling Springs Campground, which is accessed by Middle Fork Road, which gets rough in some places. The scenery is very beautiful and the hike is very moderate.

Fri Jul 14 2017

My husband and I are in our early 60s. We're fit and active. I'd seen this hike described as "easy" and good for families and children in a guidebook; however, I would definitely not take small children on this hike, and I'd be wary of taking inexperienced older children or adults as well. The trail forks to either side of the river right about at the Boiling Springs cabin. We took the upper trail. While not intense switchbacks, it's quite narrow in places, with a steep slope to the Payette River. You go up and down over a series of hills, some of which are very steep and slippery. A portion of the trail is completely gone, due to the bad winter of 2016-17, requiring us to scramble across a slope over downed trees and slippery dirt. We were "skiing" down in squatting position to avoid falling. If you take the lower trail along the river, you must cross the river several times, so take shoes that can get wet. Once you get to Dash Creek (there's no sign - it's just the biggest creek you've come across) it's easier to cross the creek, I think, then keep a lookout for the actual springs. The hot spring pools are small circles where people have arranged rocks, and a pipe comes into one pool, so don't expect a big swimming hole, and you might have to dig silt out of the pool, or rearrange the rocks to make a pool. The hike is beautiful - great views, plenty of shade, and hot water or cold water to dip into.

Sat Jun 25 2016

Hot Springs are Closed for the next 5 years. There is a fine for trespassing

Thu Apr 14 2016

This is one of my favorite springs! The hike is STEEP but worth the reward. Please remember to pack out all garbage and keep it nice for generations to come. Also, the directions for the trail head on Trails.com are incorrect. Trail head is located at MM4.

Mon Mar 28 2016

Short but steep. It is as described- a destination for skinny dippers!

Fri Mar 18 2016

It was beautiful and serene. The hotsprings were amazing and I had them all to myself on a Friday evening.

Mon May 04 2015

The hike up to the spring, if you go the difficult route, is pretty hard and dangerous in one spot, but very fun. The spring itself is amazing and a first time experience for me. If you are not from the area and want to experience that "wilderness" western mountain feel, I'd highly recommend this spring. I thought it would be man-made and kind of lame, but it is beautiful and makes your hair and body feel amazing. It's very rejuvenating. The view is beautiful and we were the only ones there. Update: RIP hot springs, it's too bad that a few disrespectful people ruined it for everybody.

Wed Mar 05 2014

I've been here a handful of times and every time, there are nice folks. Clothes are optional and the map on this website is inaccurate- check other websites for the real location.

Fri May 10 2013

Check for legal access, currently closed until late June, 2013 by BLM.

Mon Feb 25 2013

Went there on Sunday. Very crowded of course. For those that bring kids, you may want to look first due to those without suits on. It was a beautiful day for a soak! Please encourage others to stay on the trail, erosion is getting bad.

Thu Apr 19 2012

We were there last sunday and actually got a chance to meet one of the folks responsible for constructing the pools and pipes. It was an absolute delight. There were about 12 of us in the lower pool and more in the upper pool. But is was a great group. Had a good time and was fortunate enough to be able thank those who built it.

Mon May 16 2011

Went to skinnydipper today and it was beautiful!!! Notoriously crowed, we went early (5:30am) and made the .5 mile hike up a pretty steep hill side. My husband and I and our trusty dog had no probem getting there. They path is heavily used. The hot springs were amazing!! The top pool was actually a little too hot to soak, but the lower "party pool" was perfection. The only downfall was all the rubbish. Some idiots left beer cans, cig butts and random clothing all over. WHAT A SHAME! We had heard this could be the case going on a Sunday morning, so we took garbage bags to fill. Overall a wonderful experience, especially early morning.

Sun May 26 2019