Menan Butte Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Menan, Idaho that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

So much fun!!

Awesome views! On a clear day you can see the Tetons! Loved this hike. At the summit you feel like you're walking around a fish bowl.

This is one of my favorite places to hike. We usually hike to the rim then down into the crater. Last Saturday, we found a nice buck down in the crater. If you need a real challenge, there is an access road on the North end of the Butte. This road is comparable to the old trail (Lovingly referred to as the "butt-buster") I also recommend you hike it in the morning. I go about once a week, in the mornings, and have NEVER seen a snake. Only a few lizards, deer, bunnies, and a few rodents.

the trail is well marked going up, but once you start walking around the rim, it's difficult to find your way.

This trail is well established, with plenty of hand rails and/or chains in the steepest parts. I do recommend wearing a shoe that has a good grip, if that isn’t already obvious. The terrain makes the hike fun to navigate. I did not do the whole trail but alone with my 7, 5, and 1 year olds, i went a mile up and then back (for a total of 2). My kids LOVED it and had a blast climbing on rocks. I carried the baby in a hiking backpack and was nervous to go down, but we did just fine! We also saw a snake but it was going its own way and left us alone. I’ll be taking the husband back to also experience the beauty of this place.

Fun climb and good cardio workout. Trail is in good shape and with it following the rim of the crater, it adds a little variety of terrain. Rock formations make for an interesting hike/run. Give yourself 90 mins, if you hustle a bit...

We loved the hike up the North Menan Butte (R Mountain). It was steep, but lots of fun. It had a great view of the snake river. Even cooler when you realize it’s an inactive volcano. Bring water, sunblock, and a baby carrier if you have small children.

Very enjoyable. Trail is well marked. There is a chain handrail near the top for the steepest part. Once you reach the top elevation, it becomes a fairly level, easy hike.

Easy to follow trail except for a few places across bare rock. A lot of work has been put into this trail by the forest service trying to block off the alternate routes up. Please stay on the trail.

Busy, but fun. I suggest doing the full loop to explore the terrain of the Butte, not just the heavily trafficked up and back trail that most people do. It's much quieter and a lot less busy when you get off the main trail and explore. Also a really fun trail run!

Good trail, sorta missed the main descent and went down a really sanding portion left from the parking lot thinking it was the main trail.

Great hike! Took about 15 teens ranging from 12-18 years old. Even took my one year old and my 10 year old. My husband took my one year old in the hiking baby carrier. It was a steep hike. I don’t think I could have gone up with the baby carrier without worrying I would fall from the steepness. My 10 year old daughter did great. Our friend took his 6 year old daughter and that little girl is a climbing beast! She didn’t even complain and made it all the way up! I recommend this hike to everyone, however be prepare for a steep hike from the beginning. I would love to do this hike on a cloudy day. And would not go on a rainy day unless you have amazing hiking shoes with good grip. The view was amazing

Great hike! Some steep parts but nothing a 11 and 13 year old couldn’t handle! Saw a rattle snake, and scorpion but didn’t mind them and they didn’t mind us!

Fun short hike, easy to access.

Great hike, beautiful views!

I took my kids today and it was raining but we still loved it. great hike. I'll be back next time I'm visiting.

Steep accent, sandy in places but a varied hike. There are Three trails to choose from on accent. One is to the left of the main trail access and is appreciated by those who want a leg workout since it is all sand. Once on top, you can choose to go left or right around the ring and have a different adventure either way. To the left you find many ways to trek over rocky formations, to the right is a wonderful wind bowl that is amazing to boulder around! Then there is the middle trail that gives you a closer look at the geological wonders of the Butte. I’ve hiked this trail about 20 times and it is different every time I go! I’ve taken teens and children and if they are persistent and you go slower for them it is a great adventure and easy to get to.

This was an amazing hike. However, like quite a few other reviews, we lost the trail. We ended up climbing down the Butte down and walked around the base of it. An adventure for sure. Went in early morning of Spring.

I absolutely love this hike! The view once you get to the top is incredible and the hike itself is very rewarding. This is a GREAT training trail. If you’re planning on going in a much longer harder hike, this one is perfect to get into shape on. 2 miles to the top all uphill. If you make the full loop at the top, be prepared to climb quite a few rocks. The last time I went I did lose the trail on part of it, but if you’re willing to do some basic bouldering then you’ll be totally fine. I wouldn’t recommend taking small children on this hike. I would probably say 12+. There are to many places that small children could fall and get hurt.

It was okay, there are definitely better hikes out there

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Fun hike with great views

Saturday, October 07, 2017

This is a terribly treacherous trail!! You start in the parking lot to the west. Once you get to the top, the trail becomes a loop all around the top of the crater. You enter the loop at 9 o’clock, going left or clockwise. When you get to the cell and microwave towers, you are at 3 o’clock. The tough part of the loop is when you hit 5-6 o’clock. You’ve dropped down to the lowest part of the crater rim. When you start back up, good luck! It is nearly impossible to determine where the trail is. It didn’t help that we had 40-50 mph winds up top (35 at regular elevation ). First try we got too far outside the trail and when we corrected we got too far inside the trail. The shear rock face was slippery and we often had to use our hands to stay on the rock. If it wasn’t for this app All Trails, we never would have found our way. This is NOT a trail to take children on, and I wouldn’t go without my phone and app.

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Nice view, nice climb

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Offers some nice views of the surrounding area on clear days. Nice wildflowers in the spring (May). You will likely see several common sagebrush lizards, and can sometimes spot deer in the evenings down in the crater. The trail is mostly sand and lava rock. There is no shade. It's about 3/4 mile from the trailhead to the rim, and the 2 miles around the rim.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

We've seen better views. Good explanation of vulcano at trailhead and at the top of the collapsed vulcano. Nice short walk. At the steeper part the trail was less easily found going up compared to going down.

Saturday, August 19, 2017

This hike offers mixed difficulty (easy to moderate). It is steep and sandy going up and down (wear grippy shoes), then mostly flat on the top as you circumnavigate the rim. Go to the left and do a bit of bouldering on the interesting rock formations. Go to the right and discover an amazing wind bowl that invites exploration! If you decide to go all the way around, you will climb a bit more at the far side of the butte, or you can cut through the middle and scare up birds and lizards. I have hiked the Butte about 20 times and have only seen one snake but many lizards, dragonflies, butterflies, beetles, wildflowers, a couple chipmunks and only a few deer tracks. This is a very popular trail for hikers and runners. I usually see 3-5 other people. Some days I see none.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Great trail. Hard to find loop trails in this area, but this one was just right for our second hike of the trip. Steep enough to be a challenge, but not too long. Great views.

Friday, August 04, 2017

Nice vantage point of the Henry's Fork Snake River plain. Great spot for sunsets.

Friday, July 14, 2017

Great trail to start the day by catching the sunrise or end the day with a sunset. 360* Views are great!

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Trail is good for area. Flatland. No shade, sandy and poorly marked in some spots. Good views and varying terrain make this a good hike.