Menan Butte Trail

Menan Butte Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Menan, Idaho that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike! Took about 15 teens ranging from 12-18 years old. Even took my one year old and my 10 year old. My husband took my one year old in the hiking baby carrier. It was a steep hike. I don’t think I could have gone up with the baby carrier without worrying I would fall from the steepness. My 10 year old daughter did great. Our friend took his 6 year old daughter and that little girl is a climbing beast! She didn’t even complain and made it all the way up! I recommend this hike to everyone, however be prepare for a steep hike from the beginning. I would love to do this hike on a cloudy day. And would not go on a rainy day unless you have amazing hiking shoes with good grip. The view was amazing

Great hike! Some steep parts but nothing a 11 and 13 year old couldn’t handle! Saw a rattle snake, and scorpion but didn’t mind them and they didn’t mind us!

Fun short hike, easy to access.

Great hike, beautiful views!

I took my kids today and it was raining but we still loved it. great hike. I'll be back next time I'm visiting.

Steep accent, sandy in places but a varied hike. There are Three trails to choose from on accent. One is to the left of the main trail access and is appreciated by those who want a leg workout since it is all sand. Once on top, you can choose to go left or right around the ring and have a different adventure either way. To the left you find many ways to trek over rocky formations, to the right is a wonderful wind bowl that is amazing to boulder around! Then there is the middle trail that gives you a closer look at the geological wonders of the Butte. I’ve hiked this trail about 20 times and it is different every time I go! I’ve taken teens and children and if they are persistent and you go slower for them it is a great adventure and easy to get to.

This was an amazing hike. However, like quite a few other reviews, we lost the trail. We ended up climbing down the Butte down and walked around the base of it. An adventure for sure. Went in early morning of Spring.

I absolutely love this hike! The view once you get to the top is incredible and the hike itself is very rewarding. This is a GREAT training trail. If you’re planning on going in a much longer harder hike, this one is perfect to get into shape on. 2 miles to the top all uphill. If you make the full loop at the top, be prepared to climb quite a few rocks. The last time I went I did lose the trail on part of it, but if you’re willing to do some basic bouldering then you’ll be totally fine. I wouldn’t recommend taking small children on this hike. I would probably say 12+. There are to many places that small children could fall and get hurt.

It was okay, there are definitely better hikes out there

Fun hike with great views

This is a terribly treacherous trail!! You start in the parking lot to the west. Once you get to the top, the trail becomes a loop all around the top of the crater. You enter the loop at 9 o’clock, going left or clockwise. When you get to the cell and microwave towers, you are at 3 o’clock. The tough part of the loop is when you hit 5-6 o’clock. You’ve dropped down to the lowest part of the crater rim. When you start back up, good luck! It is nearly impossible to determine where the trail is. It didn’t help that we had 40-50 mph winds up top (35 at regular elevation ). First try we got too far outside the trail and when we corrected we got too far inside the trail. The shear rock face was slippery and we often had to use our hands to stay on the rock. If it wasn’t for this app All Trails, we never would have found our way. This is NOT a trail to take children on, and I wouldn’t go without my phone and app.

Nice view, nice climb

Offers some nice views of the surrounding area on clear days. Nice wildflowers in the spring (May). You will likely see several common sagebrush lizards, and can sometimes spot deer in the evenings down in the crater. The trail is mostly sand and lava rock. There is no shade. It's about 3/4 mile from the trailhead to the rim, and the 2 miles around the rim.

We've seen better views. Good explanation of vulcano at trailhead and at the top of the collapsed vulcano. Nice short walk. At the steeper part the trail was less easily found going up compared to going down.

This hike offers mixed difficulty (easy to moderate). It is steep and sandy going up and down (wear grippy shoes), then mostly flat on the top as you circumnavigate the rim. Go to the left and do a bit of bouldering on the interesting rock formations. Go to the right and discover an amazing wind bowl that invites exploration! If you decide to go all the way around, you will climb a bit more at the far side of the butte, or you can cut through the middle and scare up birds and lizards. I have hiked the Butte about 20 times and have only seen one snake but many lizards, dragonflies, butterflies, beetles, wildflowers, a couple chipmunks and only a few deer tracks. This is a very popular trail for hikers and runners. I usually see 3-5 other people. Some days I see none.

Great trail. Hard to find loop trails in this area, but this one was just right for our second hike of the trip. Steep enough to be a challenge, but not too long. Great views.

Nice vantage point of the Henry's Fork Snake River plain. Great spot for sunsets.

Great trail to start the day by catching the sunrise or end the day with a sunset. 360* Views are great!

Trail is good for area. Flatland. No shade, sandy and poorly marked in some spots. Good views and varying terrain make this a good hike.

pretty cool trail but no shade

Great trail. There is no shade so this hike can get pretty hot in the summertime. I love to go in the evening and watch the sunset and hike back down in the dark with a headlamp.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Do this hike frequently, great place to catch a sunrise/sunset. Lovely views of the valley on clear days. Great way to get the blood pumping, from start to top of the ridge.

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

We really enjoyed this hike with our kids. The last stretch to the top is a little steep and it was a little more difficult for my 3 year old. Other than that I thought it was a fun and educational hike for my 11 year old!

Monday, May 08, 2017

Fairly long steep grade to start. I liked the challenge of the up and down rocky areas. My only negative comment was staying on the trail was difficult because of lack of trail markers.

Friday, April 07, 2017

Took my 4 year old and did the outer crest and path through the center. Beautiful hike and nothing to hard just steep and rocky in places all in all great hike and amazing views. Especially fun if your into geology since it has so many cool rock formations up top.

Monday, February 13, 2017

Nice winter hike with my husband and 16 month old (in a pack). Some parts around the rim are melted off but most still had hard snow that you could walk on only punching through every now and then but it was still 2 ft deep or more in spots. The snow does make the hike a bit more challenging but that's part of the fun....plus there are a lot less people........especially later in the evening. We saw a couple groups on our way up but they were all coming down. We went around the entire rim and came down in the dark. Fun hike with cool rock formations but I definitely prefer the mountains and the trees! This hike looks like it can get blistering hot in the summer as there is very little shade also it tends to be pretty windy most of the time so pick a calm day like we did and it'll be nice and enjoyable!

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Fun hike with dope view

Sunday, October 02, 2016

I really enjoyed this hike (maybe because I was hiking it with my oldest daughter). The trail is actually about 3.5 miles long if you hike around the crater which I highly recommend since there are informational signs along the way. The signs do a nice job explaining the volcano's eruption and subsequent weathering. The hike up is a bit strenuous but not too bad if you take your time. We hiked it mid morning so it was still fairly cool.

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Not the prettiest hike but a decent workout!

Thursday, August 11, 2016

if you need a quick bit of solitude this is perfect! careful in warm weather, lots of R snakes!!!! steep incline at first but once you top out you can see forever!!