Menan Butte Trail

Menan Butte Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Menan, Idaho that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

12 minutes ago

This hike offers mixed difficulty (easy to moderate). It is steep and sandy going up and down (wear grippy shoes), then mostly flat on the top as you circumnavigate the rim. Go to the left and do a bit of bouldering on the interesting rock formations. Go to the right and discover an amazing wind bowl that invites exploration! If you decide to go all the way around, you will climb a bit more at the far side of the butte, or you can cut through the middle and scare up birds and lizards. I have hiked the Butte about 20 times and have only seen one snake but many lizards, dragonflies, butterflies, beetles, wildflowers, a couple chipmunks and only a few deer tracks. This is a very popular trail for hikers and runners. I usually see 3-5 other people. Some days I see none.

Great trail. Hard to find loop trails in this area, but this one was just right for our second hike of the trip. Steep enough to be a challenge, but not too long. Great views.

Nice vantage point of the Henry's Fork Snake River plain. Great spot for sunsets.

Great trail to start the day by catching the sunrise or end the day with a sunset. 360* Views are great!

Trail is good for area. Flatland. No shade, sandy and poorly marked in some spots. Good views and varying terrain make this a good hike.

pretty cool trail but no shade

Great trail. There is no shade so this hike can get pretty hot in the summertime. I love to go in the evening and watch the sunset and hike back down in the dark with a headlamp.

Do this hike frequently, great place to catch a sunrise/sunset. Lovely views of the valley on clear days. Great way to get the blood pumping, from start to top of the ridge.

We really enjoyed this hike with our kids. The last stretch to the top is a little steep and it was a little more difficult for my 3 year old. Other than that I thought it was a fun and educational hike for my 11 year old!

Fairly long steep grade to start. I liked the challenge of the up and down rocky areas. My only negative comment was staying on the trail was difficult because of lack of trail markers.

Took my 4 year old and did the outer crest and path through the center. Beautiful hike and nothing to hard just steep and rocky in places all in all great hike and amazing views. Especially fun if your into geology since it has so many cool rock formations up top.

Nice winter hike with my husband and 16 month old (in a pack). Some parts around the rim are melted off but most still had hard snow that you could walk on only punching through every now and then but it was still 2 ft deep or more in spots. The snow does make the hike a bit more challenging but that's part of the fun....plus there are a lot less people........especially later in the evening. We saw a couple groups on our way up but they were all coming down. We went around the entire rim and came down in the dark. Fun hike with cool rock formations but I definitely prefer the mountains and the trees! This hike looks like it can get blistering hot in the summer as there is very little shade also it tends to be pretty windy most of the time so pick a calm day like we did and it'll be nice and enjoyable!