New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Mary Minerva McCroskey Memorial State Park Loop Trail

Mary Minerva McCroskey Memorial State Park Loop Trail is a 4 mile loop trail located near Potlatch, Idaho that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.0 miles Elevation Gain: 734 feet Route Type: Loop

Purposely took many detours to see if I was missing anything. The views along the way to the top of Mineral Mountain were awesome but the peak itself was not very impressive. I didn’t actually do a lot of this trail because I was trying to see other trails but next time, I’ll definitely stick to the loop. I love that it’s very shaded, there are a lot of trees, and that the views are amazing!

Definitely longer than 4 miles but really beautiful

This is a nice hike completely through a western forest. The trail is well maintained. The park has lots of trails crisscrossing it. This route is selected from portions of other trails. We were using the record feature in the app which helped us make the correct choice at intersections. As others have noted, trail signage is sparse. However, we have hiked this park multiple times over the years without any guidance. You are not going to get hopelessly lost here. According to our GPS this route was 5.5 miles, a little longer than in the description.

Sun Oct 28 2018

Awesome! Went adventuring here yesterday and had a wonderful time! Caught the sunset & had a great little adventure on the back roads. We even came across a moose while hiking!!! Make sure to bring a picture of the map and a compass though- the trails aren’t well marked/it’s easy to get lost! I ended up on some random road/hiked along it for 3 miles (6 total) and was rewarded with some awesome views of the Palouse and pretty forest but it wasn’t the 1.5 mile trail/loop I thought I was on!

Sun Aug 12 2018

This started off as a great hike! There were no other people and we came across a deer just off the trail. However, like other reviews have said before, the trail is not marked and getting lost is extremely easy. We ended up only doing half of the loop on one side of the road and got to 4 miles. However, this includes our detour when we thought we were on the right trail. Thankfully we had the app and there was service or we would have been lost. Make sure you take a map or have access to the route as you go so you don't end up lost!

Tue Jun 21 2016

The area is absolutely beautiful, but there are little winding bits of trail all over and none of them are marked. The main gravel road had informational signs and mile markers regularly, but there is nothing along the trails themselves and nothing at the main park stops that tell you where the official trail heads are. There was a print-out map there so I used that and got royally lost on what was supposed to be a clear in-out trail according it. There are constant forks, splits and dead ends all over as well as defunct service roads - none of which are on their map. So what looks like a few clear trails is more of a spiderweb of paths and you're left guessing which is the 'right' one just to go the direction you'd originally headed out in. I had expected some sort of organization on-site but there simply wasn't any; I won't head out there again without either a proper map/compass or a GPS.

Sat Apr 17 2010

This park is full of opportunities for exploration. We hiked the "Mineral Mountain" trail today. It is really an old road, but very pleasant and we were the only people on it today. Evidence of other users (elk, deer, etc) abounded, however. The views from this trail were wonderful and my kids loved the ease of the hike. The gradual, circular climb led to the remains of an old fire lookout. We had lunch there and enjoyed the beautiful views from all sides. We got to hike through a bit of snow to get to it but it was just enough to be fun, not daunting and most likely won't be there much longer. You could backpack in and camp at the lookout site, but there isn't any water, so come prepared.

Sun Jan 14 2018